Moving to NC for Summer...Must Ride Trails?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Moving to NC for Summer...Must Ride Trails?

Hello NC forum! I'm moving down to Raleigh this summer to do an engineering co-op for school. What are some great trails I need to make sure I don't miss this summer? Maybe a top 8 list for me to investigate on my weekends? I wouldn't mind driving a little bit either on the weekends to get to some trails that make me regret having to go back and ride my Ohio "trails"

mtbr member

Pisgah

Quote Originally Posted by AMac4108
    What are some great trails I need to make sure I don't miss this summer?
    Each weekend travel 6 hours west to a place called Pisgah. There are plenty of trails for one summer Ride as many as you can, some more than once.
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I know I wish I was closer! I've been there 1 time and have been dying to go back and ride more trails. Hopefully, when I come back Spring '12 my job site will be closER to Pisgah

MTBR Member
    Check out Trianglemtb.com for all the local riding - and some extended trail info.

I'll start off the must ride list with a couple....San Lee in Sanford(1hr south of RDU) and Warrior Creek/Dark Mountain in Wilkesboro(couple hours NW). Plenty of really good trails to choose from in the immediate area, that should keep you satisfied throughout the summer.

mtbr member
    x2 on all the trails around Wilkesboro (Warrior Creek/Dark Mountain) and also on the trails in the Pisgah. I would say that you need to hit up Tsali (pronounced Sali) The only trail system I havent hit up is Tsali, but it is on my summer plans for at least 2 weekends.
    You may be quick, but I'll knock you over

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman
    Check out Trianglemtb.com for all the local riding - and some extended trail info.

I'll start off the must ride list with a couple....San Lee in Sanford(1hr south of RDU) and Warrior Creek/Dark Mountain in Wilkesboro(couple hours NW). Plenty of really good trails to choose from in the immediate area, that should keep you satisfied throughout the summer.
    I'll throw in a thumbs up for New Light! Enjoy your summer!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I can't wait to get down there.

-jwood70: i've been to Tsali one time. i don't know how it compares to all the other trails around but i loved the 2 loops that i rode there.

mtbr member
    From everything I understand. Tsali is one of the better trail systems in the state. I haven't gotten to go yet, but this summer will see me there at least twice.

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by jwood70
    From everything I understand. Tsali is one of the better trail systems in the state. I haven't gotten to go yet, but this summer will see me there at least twice.

Tsali is fun but it's way over rated. Pisgah, Bent Creek, DuPont, Kerr Scott are all much better then Tsali. But that's just my opinion.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    Tsali is fun but it's way over rated. Pisgah, Bent Creek, DuPont, Kerr Scott are all much better then Tsali. But that's just my opinion.
    Q4t
    And wilsons creek

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Be sure to visit Charlotte......White Water Center, Sherman Branch, Lake Norman, and Anne Springs. You can get directions to each here: http://www.tarheeltrailblazers.com/TrailsTest.cfm

endorphin junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    I think Tsali gets beat up so much as being over rated that it has become under rated. But that's just my opinion. I guess I'm still biased towards it because I've only been riding a year and that's where I first started going, and still like to go when I'm over that way.

On the other hand, if I only had limited travel and riding time, like the OP, I'd also choose Pisgah, Bent Creek, DuPont (never done Kerr Scott) over Tsali.
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by supercusty
    Q4t
    And wilsons creek
    I can't believe I forgot Wilson's Creek. There are some epic rides out there.

mtbr member
    Lake Crabtree, right there in Raleigh, is pretty good. Has some "bandit trails" there too, that are nice (or "so I've been told" Get over yourself for those who "know" and want to flame...everybody figures it out at some point, or another! Just don't screw it up for everybody else). Greensboro is about 1-1.5 hours away, and offers some nice trails; Wild Turkey is fast, flowy, relatively smooth, and FUN. Owl's Roost offers a good ride, as does Country Park (it's short, but has a gravity section with jumps, if that's your thing). Hobby Park, in Winston Salem is fun, too. Lots of up-and-down elevation, also with a jump park. And I also recommend San Lee Park, as well as the other trail in Sanford (forget the name). Enjoy yourself!
    "Caught my first tube this morning....sir!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Pisgah is more like 5 hrs away. Depending where your co-op is, you might be closer. Trianglemtb.com is the best source for local Raleigh rides - I'm ChrisW on there. My summer weekend trips will include overnighters to Pisgah and one to FATS, and at least one day trip to Dark Mtn/Warrior Creek. You can always find people to carpool.

Members who have read this thread: 0