Moving to Columbia SC- Mtbr.com
    Paste eater

Moving to Columbia SC

What's the good 411 on riding. Any shop rides? I know nothing and nobody in the area.

Big Mac
    I'm sorry for your loss.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65
    I'm sorry for your loss.
    what?

paintbucket
    Bunch of regular road rides in the area, but not much organized on the dirt. Mondays 630PM at Harbison might get you started though. And if you're in the northeast as your earlier posts suggest Summit Cycles will be your go to shop probably. Tim and Henry are good folks.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind
    what?
    Have you been? I'm sorry for your loss of Mountain Biking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I moved to Columbia 13 years ago not knowing what to expect. You definitely won't be seeing any mountains as mbmb65 alluded to, but at least it's not pancake flat. I was pleasantly surprised that there are a handful of trails. Read the reviews for these trails on this site.

Open to the public:
    Harbison State Forest on the NW side of Columbia toward Irmo has 20+/- miles of single and doubletrack on hardpack clay. Harrell's Bicycle World is a few miles east on Broad River Road. Good group of guys there.

Sesquicentennial State Park on the NE side of Columbia has a 4 mile loop of singletrack on sand/pinestraw that's best during/after rain. Cycle Center is a decent shop on Two Notch Road about 1-2 miles from the park.

Lynches Woods State Park in Newberry (about 35 miles west of Columbia on I-26) is a long loop of singletrack in various states of maintenance (read: overgrown).

Fork Area Trail System (FATS: SORBA CSRA) 30+ miles of fast swoopy singletrack about an hour from Columbia on I-20 west - definitely worth the ride.

Plenty of riding in the Upstate and tons of great mountainbiking in the Brevard and Asheville areas of NC.
    Last edited by TallChris; 07-15-2010 at 06:42 AM.

Paste eater
    Have you been? I'm sorry for your loss of Mountain Biking.
    Thank you for your constructive feedback. Very mature.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    Bunch of regular road rides in the area, but not much organized on the dirt. Mondays 630PM at Harbison might get you started though. And if you're in the northeast as your earlier posts suggest Summit Cycles will be your go to shop probably. Tim and Henry are good folks.

Thanks, i'll have to check that out. We're living in the SE actually

Big Mac
    Thank you for your constructive feedback. Very mature.
    You're welcome. I think you'll fit in just fine there. What exactly did you expect? It's in the middle of South Carolina. Sometimes the truth is really does hurt.

Paste eater
    You're welcome. I think you'll fit in just fine there. What exactly did you expect? It's in the middle of South Carolina. Sometimes the truth is really does hurt.
    You think I'll fit right in? Why the sour grapes bud? I didn't expect anything, that's why I asked...

"i'm sorry for your loss" didn't even make sense. However, I now know it was a (botched) sarcastic attempt to put down someone else's hometown. (...and soon to be mine)

Big Mac
    You think I'll fit right in? Why the sour grapes bud? I didn't expect anything, that's why I asked...

"i'm sorry for your loss" didn't even make sense. However, I now know it was a (botched) sarcastic attempt to put down someone else's hometown. (...and soon to be mine)
    Sorry Sally, didn't mean to get your unmentionables all bunched up. Enjoy your stay in Columbia.

paintbucket
    Thanks, i'll have to check that out. We're living in the SE actually
    There is no southeast unless you're out in Lower Richland somewhere. If you're east of town for access to Sumter try Killer 3 over in Manchester State Forest.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=483236
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Just another comedian from Asheville doing the tired joke of dogging Columbia when someone gets on here and posts that they are moving to Columbia. Ride the trails that tallchris mentions and you'll have plenty to do for years to come.

Team Martin
    My recommendation is to ride Harbison during the weekdays... def. hit Lost Creek & Spiderwoman II while you're out there. Lynches Woods is/was nice... haven't been there in a few years so I not sure of the current state of the trails

Then on the weekends drive ~1 hour or so to FATS (trust me you'll love it!) or hit up some trails in the Charlotte area. Here's a link for that areas trails... http://www.tarheeltrailblazers.com/trails/

My personal faves in the Charlotte area are USNWC, Sherman Branch & Lake Norman.

Members who have read this thread: 0