moving to the Carolinas?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

moving to the Carolinas?

In CT now, thinking of moving south. This past winter really sucked-lol NC, WV, TN or Kentucky, no farther south than that. I am an avid mountain biker, mostly XC. Also into motorcycles, both road and off road. Want to be able to snowboard a few times a year also so would like a ski area within a few hours.

Any suggestions for a good area. I was in Asheville last year and it seemed expensive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Morganton is close to Asheville and is becoming more 'like' Asheville but is significantly cheaper. Good riding is <45min. and excellent riding is <2hrs. Brown Mtn. offers dirt bike trails and Steele Creek hosts a number of races each year. Boone is an hour away which has skiing. Morganton itself however might not be quite what you are looking for, especially if you are younger and single.

If you like Asheville, I would look around at the surrounding towns (Black Mtn, Fletcher, Weaverville, etc)

mtbr member
    Can't speak for other areas but the Asheville area seems to fit your bill, great mt bike singletrack, awesome motorcycle roads (especially for a motard/sport-bike) and good off-road dirt. Easy access to skiing too.

Now for the bad news...I'm sorry but I was the last yankee given permission to move here.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem