Moving from CA to NC...trail advice?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Cool-blue Rhythm Moving from CA to NC...trail advice?

Would appreciate heads up on trails in Raleigh area that will kept me entertained. I ride in NorCal now in Santa Cruz (UCSC - chupa/airborne/barking dog/etc, Demo) and Tahoe (Dirty Harry, yogi, downieville, northstar, etc).

What in Pisgah or Tsali compares to that kind of riding? Other suggestions?

thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Welcome to NC!

You are going to be really bummed in Raleigh if those trails are your daily rides now haha... Seriously though, the Raleigh area has some good riding but its mostly XC style. Flat, tight and twisty singletrack is the norm with little elevation.

Head west to Pisgah or into VA for more of what you're used to as far as steep, technical descending.
    On your left!

Big Mac
    Pisgah will be 4.5 hours from you, and Tsali about 6 hours, and is absolutely not worth the trip. Pisgah is what you want.

mtbr member
    The Boone area is 3 ish hrs away depending on where in Raleigh you are
    Last edited by Sugar_Brad; 09-12-2017 at 02:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Pisgah will be 4.5 hours from you, and Tsali about 6 hours, and is absolutely not worth the trip. Pisgah is what you want.
    Thanks! Will definitely have to hit Pisgah. I saw some stickies about them and will check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Welcome to NC!

You are going to be really bummed in Raleigh if those trails are your daily rides now haha... Seriously though, the Raleigh area has some good riding but its mostly XC style. Flat, tight and twisty singletrack is the norm with little elevation.

Head west to Pisgah or into VA for more of what you're used to as far as steep, technical descending.
    Thanks! I lived here from 2001-2010 and remember the trails as you describe. Was hoping some things changed or I just never rode them. Trails were fun/fast if I remember correctly. Definitely not the grind up and then bomb down like they are in CA. Scared the crap out of me when I first started riding out there. Might have to buy an XC/AM bike (riding Nomad now). I used to ride Regency, Chapel Hill, Falls Lake, etc. Not sure if they're still around. Heard 286/Rocky Road is still there and in good shape. Any others?

mtbr member
    Usually when someone says "Pisgah" as far as the forums go they are referring to the Ranger district. There is also the Grandfather district that is harder to navigate but has awesome riding as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    For a concentrated amount of grind up/bomb down, I would go to Douthat State Park.
    4 hour drive-40 miles of singletrack.
    Plenty more nearby.
    Last edited by 1-track-mind; 08-24-2017 at 05:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    For Raleigh trail info. go to trianglemtb.com, sign the petition about 286 and RR. In my opinion those are the best trails in the Raleigh area and if you haven't heard those trails are under fire right now from RDU airport. They are wanting to put in a rock quarry and develop some of the property. An offer was made to buy the land for something like $6.5 million to use it as an outdoor hub but last I heard nothing had been finalized.

Closest actual mountain riding to Raleigh is around 3 - 3.5 hours, probably the Wilson ridge and Heartbreak ridge trails. A good route is up the Old Toll rd. and down heartbreak ridge and star gap. Anything in the Brevard area is good as well.

mtbr member
    If you are more into xc hard pack riding Warrior Creek, OVT, and Dark Mtn in Wilkesboro are roughly 3 hrs from Raleigh.

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusky21 View Post
    For Raleigh trail info. go to trianglemtb.com, sign the petition about 286 and RR.
    I'd add Briar Chapel, New Light, San Lee, and Angler's Ridge to the OPs short list of trails to check out in the area.

Certainly not what you're used to, as you are aware, but we have been hard at work adding trail since you left. Good enough to keep it entertaining in between WNC trips.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Greensboro has ~40 miles of connected trails. Nothing incredibly technical, but decent singletrack.
    There's only one bigger sheep than manufacturer's - consumers! - AndrewTO

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Headed there Saturday. Suggestions on what I should hit?

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    The Boone area is 3 ish hrs away depending on where in Reigh you are

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Rocky Knob unless you have a guide.

mtbr member
    Warrior Creek/OVT in Wilkesboro or Rocky Knob in Boone. Or do both. There are a handful of legal rides in the Grandfather district of Pisgah in the Wilson Creek area. If you want to venture to the stuff that doesn't suck you might want to ride with someone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zod View Post
    Rocky Knob unless you have a guide.
    With this comment, I'm thinking you are implying there is more trails in Boone other than Rocky Knob? Is that the case? (besides Beech and Wilson's)??? Please share!
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Sorry I was really just referring to Wilson Creek with the guide comment. What Brad said is a good option, do Warrior Creek and Rocky Knob as a day trip. In that order then get some fine brews at Booneshine and AMB. I am sure there is some other minor stuff around Boone that the locals know. When I went to App State in the 90's there was some little pockets of trails but it was not what I would have called a trail system.

mtbr member
    It's still the same. You would have to be with a local but there is plenty of stuff around town.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Really liking Regency...good local trail 10 mins from house. High quality jumps/gaps. Wore my ass out a lot more than I expected. All that technical up/down stuff really works your core moreso than the CA massive climb up and DH bomb, rinse, and repeat.

With that said, what tires is everyone running on Regency-like trails? I've got some gravity casing tires on now and can shed 2 pounds switching to something more traditional. I like Maxxis High Roller II and Schwalbe Hans Damp. Thoughts, opinions, advice would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'd just run whatever you like just not in DH casing. Folks ride all kinds from beefy DHF, DHR2s (LW casing) to pure XC racing tires. Really depends on the speed you are carrying and how much you want to give up in braking and cornering performance for weight saving and rolling resistance. The quartz around here will slice you tire quick, but there isn't too much of it and other than that its a fairly easy area on tires.
    Come out to New Light on sundays. Now that hunting season is on that is the only day to ride. There is a group ride that starts at 9:30am sundays. Meet at the bottom of the lot. NL is an awesome trail. Checkout San Lee as well. Both are IMO the best trails in the AO.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by InstigatorX View Post
    Would appreciate heads up on trails in Raleigh area that will kept me entertained. I ride in NorCal now in Santa Cruz (UCSC - chupa/airborne/barking dog/etc, Demo) and Tahoe (Dirty Harry, yogi, downieville, northstar, etc).

What in Pisgah or Tsali compares to that kind of riding? Other suggestions?

thanks in advance!
    Aw more you're going to be disappointed. Best trail near Raleigh is San Lee Park in Sanford. Next best are New Light, Beaverdam, and Brumley forest in Durham. Brier Creek is pretty fun too. The rest of the trails are ok but generally a bit boring.

mtbr member
    Brumley Forest in Hillsborough is FAST, but no real elevation (I love it). And I personally really like Lake Crabtree in Raleigh, and Briar Chapel near Chapel Hill, too, but again, no real elevation. I don't recommend San Lee (Sanford) on a hardtail, but maybe I'm just weird (I like flow!). Rode Tsali once...not worth the trip, IMHO. But breweries keep popping up around Raleigh, if that's important! :-)
    "Caught my first tube this morning....sir!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    There are some decent trails around Raleigh. I highly recommend San Lee, New Light, Wake Forest Reservoir, Regency and few others. Message me if you ever want to go out check these trails out. We have group rides multiple times a week. If you want to take a road trip with in 3-4 Hours you have great trails such as Rocky Knob, Warrior Creek, OVT and few more.