Moving to brevard NC to retire and mtb- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Moving to brevard NC to retire and mtb

I am looking to retire and move to either the north georgia mountains or brevard NC. I visited blue ridge and Elijay in georgia. they seem really nice but I want to check out brevard as another option. I have never been to brevard but it sounds like a very strong option with the great trails and the nice small town. one concern is snow. are the winters milder in the north georgia mountains vs brevard. any major drawbacks to brevard to retire and mtb? also, it seems there is a trail in brevard that you can bike to from downtown. Ellijay and blue ridge do not have that.
    Last edited by joevdenne; 10-10-2015 at 08:02 AM. Reason: miss spelling

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Gongrats on retiring and being able to move where you can enjoy it. Are you coming alone or with family?

Brevard has DuPont, which is fairly big with nice trails and views. Western NC has many trails within 1 hour of driving.

I personally haven't ridden in GA, so I can't tell you what it's like. Perhaps @KevinGT can help you with that.

Winters are cold, but we barely get any snow here in Asheville, Brevard gets even less snow. When a major snow storm comes, Georgia will get it too in most cases.

Big Mac
    Most importantly, Brevard has the Pisgah national forest, home to what most consider the best riding west of the Mississippi. North Georgia has some good stuff too, but is quite limited and pales in comparison to Pisgah. North Georgia has little to offer as far as town stuff is concerned. Brevard has several good restaurants and a few breweries. Also close to Asheville. Snow is hit or miss in both spots and varies immensely from year to year. It does occur. Rejoice in it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I will be coming with my wife and 3 year old son. I have to consider their needs also. I see brevard has a music school and a college. The town's that I am considering in georgia, blue ridge and ellijay, do not have that. so, I was thinking brevard might be better for my son. we are planning to visit brevard in the winter to hopefully have my son see snow for the first time. either way we will get to experience a few days of winter in brevard.
    Last edited by joevdenne; 10-10-2015 at 08:38 AM. Reason: addition

Consider that Brevard had less traffic too, far far less. I dont know if you care about it but I hate traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Where are you coming from? What do you consider "cold". Winters are mild, we'll get one snow a year. I've seen people sunbathing at App State in Jan, for the most part it'll be in the 50-60's during the day and mornings will be in the 30's-40's.

It'll snow once in march..

Why beech/sugar don't put more bike parks is beyond me. I shudder to think what their water bill must be like.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by joevdenne View Post
    I will be coming with my wife and 3 year old son. I have to consider their needs also. I see brevard has a music school and a college. The town's that I am considering in georgia, blue ridge and ellijay, do not have that. so, I was thinking brevard might be better for my son. we are planning to visit brevard in the winter to hopefully have my son see snow for the first time. either way we will get to experience a few days of winter in brevard.
    For a kid's sake, Brevard is the hands down winner. They have a great school system, Brevard college, (also great) and the music center. I live in Asheville now, but lived in Brevard for a number of years. I would live there now, and happily raise my 8 year old there. It suits active, outdoor families to a t. When you come this winter, and you find no snow, drive 1:15 north to wolf laurel, our nearest ski hill. They'll likely have snow. They usually do. Where are you coming from?

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by AshevilleMtBiker View Post
    Consider that Brevard had less traffic too, far far less. I dont know if you care about it but I hate traffic.

Less than north Georgia? Not likely. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Less than north Georgia? Not likely. Lol.
    Oops. I was comparing it to Lawrenceville as I always go there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    i currently live in winter park florida, which is in the orlando-metro area. but, i have lived in atlanta and upstate new york previously. atlanta winters were very tolerable, upstate new york winters seemed like they went on forever with a too brief summer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Well winter in NC is not going to be like Orlando, it does get cold here. But not for long and there will be times in Dec/Jan/Feb where it will get into the 70's, there are also times where it will get down to the teens and single digits. It won't be like update NY, trust me I was born there,I don't like the cold!!

If you want to mtn bike, Brevard is a very good place to live, and there is really a big bike community and culture. There are pro DHers living in the area so if you want to get you child into the sport there's no better place on the east coast that also has mild winters and year round biking. Ellijay seems remote, at least with Brevard you get the small town life that is close to Asheville (20-25 mins), Greenville, or Charlotte. Plus, and I'm a little biased on this one, but NC has better Universities.
    Last edited by spitfiredd; 10-10-2015 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Spelling and Grammar

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    If you can get to downtown Asheville from Brevard in 20-25 minutes, you should switch from mtb to NASCAR.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Wow I just looked it up, its 35 miles, I have no sense of time. I put the music on and zone out.

mtbr member
    I live in NE Atlanta and ride both N. Ga and WNC extensively. If you have a chance to live in Brevard, I'd take it. In fact, my wife and I are looking into buying a cabin/second home there. Brevard is a great little mountain town.

N. Ga has great riding, no doubt. But the riding in and around Brevard is, in my opinion, superior. You can ride Pisgah out the back door of The Hub and Dupont offers some of the best flow riding around. Ellijay, of course, has the Pinhoti trails, Bear Creek, Cartacay, etc. Which is better? Put it this way: I drive 2 hours to Brevard more often than I drive 1:15 to Ellijay.

N. Ga isn't crowded and has little traffic. It's nothing even close to Atlanta or the Atlanta burbs, so traffic isn't an issue. Ellijay and Blue Ridge are both very small towns that will get some weekend tourist traffic but no worse than Brevard. Ellijay has more of a mountain town feel to me than Blue Ridge. Another advantage to Brevard is being just 45 minutes from Asheville. I'd rather be 45 minutes from Asheville than an hour from Atlanta.

The only other thing I'll throw out there is air travel. If, as a retiree, you're going to be traveling by air often, Atlanta is far more convenient for flights. You can fly direct anywhere and people coming to see you can fly direct to come to ATL. I know some retirees who travel extensively and airport convenience is important. If Asheville is your nearest airport, you're connecting for every flight you take.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by spitfiredd View Post
    Wow I just looked it up, its 35 miles, I have no sense of time. I put the music on and zone out.
    Haha. You had me scared for a moment! I thought I was turning into one of those old geezers you see here in Hendersonville putting around at 25 mph in a 45 zone!

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Brevard has DuPont, which is fairly big with nice trails and views. Western NC has many trails within 1 hour of driving.
    Kind of strange to mention Brevard "having" DuPont and completely leave out the fact that PNF literally butts up to the town.

Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321 View Post
    Kind of strange to mention Brevard "having" DuPont and completely leave out the fact that PNF literally butts up to the town.
    That's why there are more riders here, to add to what we miss. You're right.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321 View Post
    So strange indeed. So many folks are so enamored with DuPont, it boggles the mind, and Pisgah never enters their minds. I here of people making multiple trips per year, from both far and near, and never even riding Pisgah. It's difficult for me to grasp. I live in Asheville and just about never ride DuPont. I just can't justify driving past Pisgah to get there. Takes all kinds and to each their own.

mtbr member
    So strange indeed. So many folks are so enamored with DuPont, it boggles the mind, and Pisgah never enters their minds. I here of people making multiple trips per year, from both far and near, and never even riding Pisgah. It's difficult for me to grasp. I live in Asheville and just about never ride DuPont. I just can't justify driving past Pisgah to get there. Takes all kinds and to each their own.
    Think of it as a good thing. Be glad the tourists and all those people flock to Dupont so you can have more seclusion within PNF. Dupont is GREAT!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    My family and I recently moved to Brevard and Blue Ridge was another option we considered. I'm not retired yet but we were looking for a place to put down roots and stay after retiring. Blue Ridge is a really nice town with a great lake, low property values, easy access to Atlanta, and the Aska trails are fun and will probably be expanded in the future. That said Brevard won out for us because the variety and mileage of trails in Pisgah dwarfs any trail system anywhere on the east coast that I know of.

The Ecusta trail takes you from town to Davidson River campground which is a great entry point for an epic Pisgah ride. Even better is starting on Bracken Mountain Trail near the music center which is a quick ride from downtown. I've ridden from a friend's house on Blue Ridge Lake to Aska trails and I was pretty sketched out on the main highway there despite years of bike commuting on a variety of roads and streets. The schools are much better in Brevard than Blue Ridge from what I've gleaned from other parents although we're homeschooling our kids for now.

Take some time to visit both areas and see where your priorities lie but if mountain biking is really high on your list you'll fall in love with Brevard pretty quickly. Winter may be slightly harsher here in WNC but I don't think it will be significant enough to notice.

mtbr member
    Brevard is a pretty awesome place. We live just under an hour away in Greenville SC and bought a house two years ago in Cedar Mountain, where DuPont is. We were spending so much time in the area we decided buying a place there was practical. It's 45 minutes from door to door, and about an hour to Brevard/Pisgah Forest.

All the riding is, of course, great. DuPont has it's good points as does Pisgah, different flavors.

Having said that, Greenville SC is a great place to live and still close to these and other great trail systems.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm about 5 years from retirement and also been thinking a lot about moving to Brevard or Asheville when that time comes. The thing that strikes me about Pisgah is that the trails are challenging for me *now* and I'm simply not sure I'm going to be able to ride that stuff when I'm 20+ years older. Contrast that with Dupont where most of the trails are fairly tame and can be ridden regardless of age, slow reflexes, and brittle bones.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by motomike View Post
    Think of it as a good thing. Be glad the tourists and all those people flock to Dupont so you can have more seclusion within PNF. Dupont is GREAT!
    Truth.

So strange indeed. .
    Outrageous, right? My apologies.

Big Mac
    Outrageous, right? My apologies.

No, just strange.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    If I can give you some outsiders opinion. I have spent time near winter park (lake mary) and while it is nice, I found it a bit snooty. As for riding, ocala is nice but really doesnt compair to NC.

I go to Brevard once a year and I have to say the town has a wonderful atmosphere. People were friendly and there seemed to be most of what you would need to get by store wise. The riding of course is incedible. I live in Canada so the winters here are insane. But I havent been to brevard in the winter (early March). I loved it so much I found myself looking for jobs ect lol. But not an easy move as im not a citizen.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I recently bought land off of Crab Creek Rd and will retire in the area. I currently live in N. Georgia and the riding here pales in comparison. Finding a home in Brevard can be a challenge, we looked at many listings and found that the bulk of them are dated and would require some serious remodeling. The one's that didn't require remodeling were expensive.We found the Brevard area delightful, mainly because of it's awesome pep's and scenery. Good luck in your quest. For me, it was a no brainer

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    My wife and I moved to Hendersonville from Wisconsin about 6 years ago, and it is a great place to live. The winters are fantastic compared to Wisconsin, but the rain gets old pretty quick. If you can find a job, it's a great place to move to. Unless you're a teacher. Then just about any other state in the country would be a better move. Housing can be a bit tricky, but there are affordable options to be found. Property taxes are cheap compared to many other places, as well.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Jealous. I'm thinking about the very same thing. I think I'll fly in from Phx next spring to spend a week or so to get a feel for the place.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Biscuit Pants, I have been looking at Brevard homes via Zillow. There are definitely some over priced homes. I know the z-estimates are not always right. But, there are some homes that are listed $50k or more above the z-estimate and have been listed for 200 days or longer. I am guessing brevard is going to become more popular, but some home owners there seem to be over pricing their homes.

Biscuit Pants, I have been looking at Brevard homes via Zillow. There are definitely some over priced homes. I know the z-estimates are not always right. But, there are some homes that are listed $50k or more above the z-estimate and have been listed for 200 days or longer. I am guessing brevard is going to become more popular, but some home owners there seem to be over pricing their homes.
    Not so sure about Brevard, but Asheville houses are freaking expensive. An old ugly house sells for 150k? While my cousin bought a new house for $180k in Atlanta that would be at least $300k here. Best thing to do is built your own in Asheville or surrounding area. My wife and I are actually planning on building ours soon too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Agreed ! The houses that are bargins or priced right don't even make it to Zillow. You've got to be on the ground there to get in on those. We ended up finding some land very close to DuPont and will build to get what we wanted. There is a good real estate agent named Billy Harris we used. Great guy and a mountain biker

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Brevard is awesome. I have not biked there but have fly fished there in the Davidson river. great area.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    sorry, wrong thread

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit Pants View Post
    Agreed ! The houses that are bargins or priced right don't even make it to Zillow. You've got to be on the ground there to get in on those. We ended up finding some land very close to DuPont and will build to get what we wanted. There is a good real estate agent named Billy Harris we used. Great guy and a mountain biker
    Agree on all points. You need local help to get houses here. We noticed that affordable (to us) homes would come and go quickly here, the junkers sit on the market, as do the mcmansions, affordable homes are snatched up quick. Billy helped us and I would recommend him 100%.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Are you saying it rains a lot in Hendersonville.
    We are in Ely Minnesota and we retired, we spent last winter in Florida and we didn't like south Florida all the much. But we like Ocala
    being that we are getting older Santos seems like we'll be able to grow old into it.
    But we have been reading about mountain biking in Brevard and Dupont. The thing that we keep hearing about Ocala is the rain from June to September. Houses are more affordable in that part of Florida and we can hook up our travel trailer and be gone for a little bit but not no four months.

We are officially 100% positively sick of the snow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hendo is a bit drier than Brevard. Trans county is the wettest place outside of the pac NW. We are a temperate rain forest with some parts of the county getting 90" average. We have had 42" of rain in the last 3 months, which is odd as fall is usually the dry season here.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by idinomac View Post
    Are you saying it rains a lot in Hendersonville.
    We are in Ely Minnesota and we retired, we spent last winter in Florida and we didn't like south Florida all the much. But we like Ocala
    being that we are getting older Santos seems like we'll be able to grow old into it.
    But we have been reading about mountain biking in Brevard and Dupont. The thing that we keep hearing about Ocala is the rain from June to September. Houses are more affordable in that part of Florida and we can hook up our travel trailer and be gone for a little bit but not no four months.

We are officially 100% positively sick of the snow.
    DuPont is a great place to grow "old". Perfect for retirees. However, it does snow around those parts on occasion.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    But to us even if it lasted a month that's nothing to us, it was 25f below last week and it was 26 below this morning and it's going to be 25 below when I get up in tomorrow morning.

I've been checking out houses around Pickens South Carolina, Any of you live there or know if there's any trails there. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    We work in Northeast Georgia and spend 4 day weekends in Brevard - where we will eventually retire. My parents and brothers live in Ocala. Brevard is in a rainforest - Ocala doesn't get nearly the rain there and the sand absorbs most of that. That being said, since I'm only a solid intermediate rider and pushing retirement age - the trails at DuPont and forest service roads in Pisgah provide much more variety and scenery than similar level trails in Ocala. The hiking and fishing can't be beat either.

mtbr member
    There's a fairly new bike park in Pickens, nothing too extreme but it can definitely help your skills if you need it.
    As far as I know, Isaqueena (or Clemson Experimental Forest) has the closest XC-type trails to Pickens. Tons of trails there with a great variety and google shows less than 30 min from Pickens. Highly recommended.
    DSF is only 45 mins so you can't go wrong there either and Paris Mtn is probably closer to 40 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by idinomac View Post
    But to us even if it lasted a month that's nothing to us, it was 25f below last week and it was 26 below this morning and it's going to be 25 below when I get up in tomorrow morning.

I've been checking out houses around Pickens South Carolina, Any of you live there or know if there's any trails there. Thanks.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks, we had actually found a few houses we could probably get/ afford in Brevard. We started pulling up crime reports from around the outside area of Brevard and like most everywhere there's tweakers and that brings up property crime most places now days.

I need to start researching home owners insurance for homes in the Brevard area and does NC have a homestead exemption tax credit, Minnesota took it away but way up north here our taxes aren't much unless you live on a lake with lake front property.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    We Just started looking at Brevard / WNC for retirement. Any updates from people in this thread ?

mtbr member
    The trails are awesome, real estate market is extremely cut throat, and the winters are mild. Asheville and the surrounding areas are expanding at a very fast rate. Brevard isn't overrated by any stretch but the amount of people heading to the trail heads on any given weekend is a turn off for me. Personally I prefer to live 2 hrs away in Avery county and visit when I know it won't be crazy busy. Avery, Watauga, Buncombe, Burke, and Caldwell counties all have amazing riding as well. If you decide you want to purchase property in the Asheville area be prepared for an extremely competitive market. North and East Asheville (I own property near Warren Wilson) are where the market is slightly less competitive. There are several less traveled trail systems in North and East Asheville as well. South Asheville traffic is out of control, ask anyone that lives in Fletcher or Hendersonville.

since 4/10/2009
    Market is definitely cutthroat here. Saw an article recently that the market is heating up in areas a little farther from Asheville because the prices in Asheville itself are kinda stupid.

https://www.citizen-times.com/story/...up/2125401001/

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Market is definitely cutthroat here. Saw an article recently that the market is heating up in areas a little farther from Asheville because the prices in Asheville itself are kinda stupid.

https://www.citizen-times.com/story/...up/2125401001/
    Lived here a long time, I would never call the realtors around these parts as cutthroat, ask them, it's basically feast or famine. Prices are high, but what do you expect for a "move to"destination. If I could roll back the clock . . .

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahrider View Post
    Lived here a long time, I would never call the realtors around these parts as cutthroat, ask them, it's basically feast or famine. Prices are high, but what do you expect for a "move to"destination. If I could roll back the clock . . .
    By cutthroat, I meant (and prob Sugar Brad, too, who mentioned it himself) that desirable homes in desirable locations get snapped up fast, and there's often competition for them. Doesn't really have much to do with the real estate agents themselves.

A home 2 houses down from mine that's very similar to it in many respects just sold (with a bidding war between 3 or 4 potential buyers, IIRC) for $40k more than I paid for mine 2yrs ago.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Bent Creek has a few homes for sale right now. Act quickly though, they sell fast.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Thanks for all the recent replies.
    I have about two years till I can retire from my current job in the water treatment biz ,( Ill be 57 ) . The wife will still be working , she's an estimator for construction, ( doors/ frames/etc ) and I will def be doing some type of job thats VERY convenient for me ha ha ! . So we are not in a huge hurry to move now, but I'm still interested in this area. Curious , are any of you living there now surfers/ocean people? How is the drive from the areas mentioned? We will be doing lots of RVing form whatever home base we decide on and the beach is def a place we go to a lot during the fall/ hurricane season. But I also want to be able to jump on the mountain bike on any given day whether its a ride form the house or short drive to the mountain/ trail head.
    I currently live in Frederick, Md.... its an awsum place for all that stuff, killer trails within a 15 minute drive, and the beach is 3.5 hours but taxes are a bit high. Ive even considered purchasing an acre or two in the mountains and just building a small house with a huge garage for workshop / parking RV . Thanks for all the input.

RDO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I live in Brevard was a surfer, lived 10 minutes from beach in LA. Also surfed Long Island in New York occasionally. For the most part have given it up here. I haven't checked out the S/N Carolina surfing breaks, but I estimate at least a 4-5 hour drive.

For water sports you may want to take up white water kayaking. There's a lot of that here.