Moving to AVL area- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 58 of 58
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    7

    Moving to AVL area

    I dont know if this is the right area for it, but Im moving to the Asheville area in the not too distant future for work. Where would you natives recommend looking for housing? Everything in that region is so much more expensive than were I live right now (Columbia SC). Ive been looking on the west side from Brevard to West Asheville as it would be a short drive to work and close to trails.

  2. #2
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbev View Post
    I dont know if this is the right area for it, but Im moving to the Asheville area in the not too distant future for work. Where would you natives recommend looking for housing? Everything in that region is so much more expensive than were I live right now (Columbia SC). Ive been looking on the west side from Brevard to West Asheville as it would be a short drive to work and close to trails.
    Lol. There arenít many natives here. Are you buying or renting? House? Condo?

  3. #3
    Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Reputation: AVL-MTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,071
    Sorry bro. We're full!

    If you want affordable, then I'd suggest Hendersonville area.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    7
    Probably renting at least at first. I was thinking about buying but I worry the prices in the region are over inflated.

  5. #5
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbev View Post
    Probably renting at least at first. I was thinking about buying but I worry the prices in the region are over inflated.
    Well, they are inflated. We live in a bubble here, man. I donít reckon anything will be deflating anytime soon, though. Are you looking for a house or apartment? How we spouses to help you, with no info?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    7
    Just myself. Late 20s single engineer. Ive been getting into biking but i'm still pretty far on the sucking at it kind of things. I like the idea of being close to trails and tracks so I can practice more, hopefully post work rides. Im real good at crashing though. I love backpacking in pisgah so that whole side of town has a special place in my heart. The biggest thing for me is going to be finding a place with a garage or an out building to store tools and equipment in, I kind of do a lot of car work.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Banjopickin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    625
    Your best bet is too look at the outlying areas around Asheville.

    Where is your work located? That will make a big difference because commuting on the interstates around here can be rough compared to less crowded areas.

    Fletcher, Gerton, Mills River, Leicester, Swannanoa, Woodfin, etc are places I would look to get cheaper options... although that is changing rapidly.

    If you can buy vs. renting that would be my advice. Rents are high but you may find a house to buy for the same or less than what you could rent a comparably.

    The good thing is it sounds like you already have a job which is by far the hardest part of moving here. Unless you can want to wait tables, sling booze, or work multiple jobs.
    On your left!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    7
    Id be working near Baltimore Park on Brevard road.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    250
    I tell ya man it is a tough housing market right now as I am currently in the middle of the hunt. I am renting at the moment (lease up in June) but we are poised to buy immediately when the right one pops up in our preferred areas.

    What you can expect for <300k: mostly sh!t 3 bed 2 bath home that needs major updates (kitchen, bath, floors, etc). These houses are on the market for 1-2 days and SOLD! Often times it is a bid war so the asking price is the starting price. Prices are going up by the day for such homes.

    There was a home I passed on about 2 months ago as it was early in the search and I kick myself for not snagging it. it was priced fair and had some good updates done in a neighborhood close to my work. There were things we did not like about it and thought we could do better....maybe not so.

    Renting is good to start. You really need to be here a while and scout specific areas and neighborhoods. Covenants are spotty/rare so you might have an ok home surrounded by trailers and run down shitholes with 15 junked cars in the yard. Craziness.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: avlfj40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbev View Post
    Id be working near Baltimore Park on Brevard road.
    Look in the mills river area. 26 east of 40 can be a nightmare. If there's anything available in the bent creek neighborhood have a look. West avl and North avl will have primium prices. Home prices in Henderson county will also be lower than bouncombe.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,277
    Lot of good info in this thread. Agreed on Hendo and Mills River areas. So much better access to riding than coming from the North. Less traffic and less $$ housing (both getting worse though!!).

    If access to Pisgah is important to you, make sure to spend a lot of time on Google maps. It's wild how "close" some areas feel to Pisgah only to actually be 45+ minutes away.

    Grats on finding a job and welcome!

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Reputation: AVL-MTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,071
    Quote Originally Posted by pryde1 View Post
    I tell ya man it is a tough housing market right now as I am currently in the middle of the hunt. I am renting at the moment (lease up in June) but we are poised to buy immediately when the right one pops up in our preferred areas.

    What you can expect for <300k: mostly sh!t 3 bed 2 bath home that needs major updates (kitchen, bath, floors, etc). These houses are on the market for 1-2 days and SOLD! Often times it is a bid war so the asking price is the starting price. Prices are going up by the day for such homes.

    There was a home I passed on about 2 months ago as it was early in the search and I kick myself for not snagging it. it was priced fair and had some good updates done in a neighborhood close to my work. There were things we did not like about it and thought we could do better....maybe not so.

    Renting is good to start. You really need to be here a while and scout specific areas and neighborhoods. Covenants are spotty/rare so you might have an ok home surrounded by trailers and run down shitholes with 15 junked cars in the yard. Craziness.
    Neighbor is selling brand new house, 1400sqf for about 200-230.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sugar_Brad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,106
    I disagree about the South having better access to riding. I like northeast side of town and don't have to deal with the traffic to the South. I can be on my local trail system in 10 minutes, or to Wilson Creek in under an hour and a half. Not to mention I am 20 minutes from Kitsuma and/or Heartbreak. There are awesome pieces of property towards Weaverville and Alexander. There are nice places in Haw Creek and Riceville as well. We felt like we got more bang for our buck on the Northeast side of town. Not having to deal with the traffic coming from the South on 26 is awesome. When I worked at Cane Creek it took me 25 min to get from Riceville rd to work. It would be considerably longer coming from Hendo if you caught traffic at the wrong time of day. Wherever you decide, be ready for an EXTREMELY competitive market.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: avlfj40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    126
    I love living on the east side, Beverly hills area. It's really convenient to downtown. I work in N Asheville so traffic is not really a concern as I'm going the opposite direction. If I worked in S Asheville I would have a different opinion.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by AshevilleMTB View Post
    Neighbor is selling brand new house, 1400sqf for about 200-230.
    Mills River or Brevard? Send me info if so thanks

  16. #16
    Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Reputation: AVL-MTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,071
    Quote Originally Posted by pryde1 View Post
    Mills River or Brevard? Send me info if so thanks
    Nope. North Asheville. Someone came and looked at it today.

  17. #17
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    27,057
    I did this last year. Wife had a job lined up so we could afford it. We rented a 1br apt off Long Shoals while we got a feel for the housing market.

    We had some tough requirements and we simply could not afford what we needed inside AVL city limits. We ended up in Candler in a nice, newer neighborhood with a reasonable HOA. Got about 1900sqft 3br 2.5ba 2 car garage on 0.53acre for about 270k. The house we bought was on the market for less than 24hrs before we snagged it up.

    We are a little farther from the trails than we wanted, but this was our budget. We have great mtn views all around our house, too. Super nice neighbors. Bent Creek is closest, and Mills River area is next closest. The Hub is abt 45min away, assuming traffic is moving. Most importantly we learned, though, is that my wife can get to work in 10min on surface streets. We need the interstate for relatively little. Major construction on 26 has begun, btw. Brevard Rd interchange is getting redone and widened. Further widening from there down past the airport afterwards.

    I still haven't found work, but I haven't had much since I finished grad school since 2012, so nothing new there.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: upstateSC-rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,486
    If Asheville is anything like Greenville, and I know it is, so many yankees and floridians are moving here as quickly as possible driving up prices. They sold their over-priced houses from where they lived and have cash in hand...Definitely a seller's market.
    Rent and get a feel for where you want to be is my suggestion, prices will be a little higher when you're ready to buy but at least you'll know where you want to be.
    Good luck.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

  19. #19
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    27,057
    the rental market in AVL is pretty harsh, too. I had to be super flexible to end up with the apartment I got. very low vacancy rate here. thought the place would be super nice, and in some respects it was, but it had a TON of super young college student/young adult types for being as far from any of the local colleges as it was. I must have lived upstairs from bartenders, because they would go out onto their deck HOURS after most normal people would go to sleep. which wouldn't normally be an issue, except that they were also too loud for being outside a dense apartment building at 3-4am or so. I'm too damn old for apartment complexes.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    89
    As others have said, moving to the area can be a challenge, but don't write it off, you have to be prepared to be flexible and aggressive. Housing/rentals will be on/off the market in a matter of hours. If you see something and can live with it in the right area - do it.

    When I moved to the area we lucked out somewhat, we contacted the owner of a rental and ended up getting to see a different house in Weaverville that they hadn't yet listed. We had to drop everything and drive across the state, and although the place was a little rough around the edges it wasn't bad, great neighborhood too. It was further from the places I wanted to be, but I ended up getting to discover a ton of really great stuff north of town that I didn't know about prior to moving here.

    After living in Weaverville for a year we started looking at buying in the area but the asking prices were out of control, $200k got you a postage size piece of land and a 2br trailer... We ended up buying in Waynesville, which is about a 30 minute drive from Asheville, but on the plus side there's rarely traffic on 40 in this direction, we got a ton of land and an awesome house with mountain views for relatively little money. We're also super close to the Smokies and the Shining Rock side of Pisgah. My only regret is that the riding is all a good 30 minute drive from here.

    Anyhow, the moral of the story is to be flexible and open to options... there's a lot more to this area than Asheville and the well established tourist traps.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Banjopickin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    625
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    I disagree about the South having better access to riding. I like northeast side of town and don't have to deal with the traffic to the South. I can be on my local trail system in 10 minutes, or to Wilson Creek in under an hour and a half. Not to mention I am 20 minutes from Kitsuma and/or Heartbreak. There are awesome pieces of property towards Weaverville and Alexander. There are nice places in Haw Creek and Riceville as well. We felt like we got more bang for our buck on the Northeast side of town. Not having to deal with the traffic coming from the South on 26 is awesome. When I worked at Cane Creek it took me 25 min to get from Riceville rd to work. It would be considerably longer coming from Hendo if you caught traffic at the wrong time of day. Wherever you decide, be ready for an EXTREMELY competitive market.
    Dude! you're not supposed to tell people about East... Last thing we need are all the Westside folks finding out its there and moving over...

    Seriously East sucks and dont even think about considering to think about moving over on that side of town. Its horrible and smells like dog food mixed with kerosene pretty much all the time and there are roving bands of man eating black bears that will definitely kill and eat you... definitely.
    On your left!

  22. #22
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    27,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Dude! you're not supposed to tell people about East... Last thing we need are all the Westside folks finding out its there and moving over...

    Seriously East sucks and dont even think about considering to think about moving over on that side of town. Its horrible and smells like dog food mixed with kerosene pretty much all the time and there are roving bands of man eating black bears that will definitely kill and eat you... definitely.
    bwahaha

    I did see some nice houses over that way when I was looking. But the wife's job dictated location more than anything. We have grown fond of short commutes.

    One was a legit mountain retreat off Town Mtn Rd. near the Parkway. Driveway was about half a mile long through the woods. Unfortunately it had some tight bends we'd never get our camper around.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mike Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,287
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Dude! you're not supposed to tell people about East... Last thing we need are all the Westside folks finding out its there and moving over...

    Seriously East sucks and dont even think about considering to think about moving over on that side of town. Its horrible and smells like dog food mixed with kerosene pretty much all the time and there are roving bands of man eating black bears that will definitely kill and eat you... definitely.
    You forgot to mention how hard the Parkway commute is to Bent Creek/Mills River. Not convenient at all.

    OP prices will not ever come down or correct. They didn't even drop in 2008, just stopped going up. I also like having a lot of workshop/tool storage space and agree that for the most part, you're going to have to look outside the city-proper for that.

  24. #24
    Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Reputation: AVL-MTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,071
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Dude! you're not supposed to tell people about East... Last thing we need are all the Westside folks finding out its there and moving over...

    Seriously East sucks and dont even think about considering to think about moving over on that side of town. Its horrible and smells like dog food mixed with kerosene pretty much all the time and there are roving bands of man eating black bears that will definitely kill and eat you... definitely.
    And in North Asheville, we have the sewers, which stink all the time. Why do you think Harold moved to the west, hahaha.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    383
    Sorry for the slight hijack, but I'm driving to Asheville for a date this wknd. Any recommendations for a nice/romantic restaurant ? Any other get-to-know places for this wknd?

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    7
    I personally really like Bywater for a bar, but I'm not sure what your idea of romantic is. Ive heard really good things about the Grove Park Inn for dates and romantic weekends, but i'm not a local.

    And thanks to all the above people for giving me input!

  27. #27
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    27,057
    Quote Originally Posted by splitendz View Post
    Sorry for the slight hijack, but I'm driving to Asheville for a date this wknd. Any recommendations for a nice/romantic restaurant ? Any other get-to-know places for this wknd?
    There are more places to eat here than you'll ever be able to visit in your lifetime. Especially with the turnover of places closing and new places opening up.

    You're going to have to provide a little more information about what you're looking for so folks can give you recommendations. Food style? Budget? Beer, wine, cocktails a priority? Give us something to go on.

  28. #28
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    27,057
    Quote Originally Posted by AshevilleMTB View Post
    And in North Asheville, we have the sewers, which stink all the time. Why do you think Harold moved to the west, hahaha.
    LOL, the places I could afford in N. Asheville didn't meet my storage requirements.

    I occasionally get the fragrance of the paper mill in Canton. Definitely not as bad as some areas, but it's there.

    In my neighborhood, I hear more cattle and sheep than traffic, though.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    There are more places to eat here than you'll ever be able to visit in your lifetime. Especially with the turnover of places closing and new places opening up.

    You're going to have to provide a little more information about what you're looking for so folks can give you recommendations. Food style? Budget? Beer, wine, cocktails a priority? Give us something to go on.
    Looking for some good seafood. Budget not really an issue. Just wanted a place not too rowdy, kinda quiet atmosphere. Newer restaurant would be better.. a place she hasn't been.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Banjopickin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    625
    The Lobster Trap downtown has decent seafood but its Pricey...

    If I am in the need for Seafood I go to the Oyster House Brewing in W. AVL. They have a good Oyster Stout (of course!) and sort of a low-country/cajun thing going for the food. Its a chill spot and in a good area to go for after dinner drinks/desert.
    On your left!

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: avlfj40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by splitendz View Post
    Looking for some good seafood. Budget not really an issue. Just wanted a place not too rowdy, kinda quiet atmosphere. Newer restaurant would be better.. a place she hasn't been.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Re...!4d-82.5436775

    This might be what you're looking for.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    196
    I can only echo what others are saying. I've been in West AVL for about 16 years. We just started building a house, and I interviewed two selling agents this past weekend. Both agents said the house would be sold before hitting MLS and likely would have multiple offers. I tell you this only to encourage you to begin working with a buyers agent so you can at least be in a position to put in an offer. Good luck with your move. It's a great place to live if you can find a job and housing!
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 2
    Cannondale CAAD12
    Niner RLT9
    Salsa Fargo
    Niner SIR9 27.5+
    Surly Krampus

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,277
    Quote Originally Posted by AVLthumper View Post
    Both agents said the house would be sold before hitting MLS and likely would have multiple offers.
    Alright I am admittedly ignorant in this stuff - just bought my first house evah last October. But doesn't this type of mindset mean you are leaving money on the table? It blows me away this happens. Ask for more $, right?

  34. #34
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,611
    Quote Originally Posted by splitendz View Post
    Sorry for the slight hijack, but I'm driving to Asheville for a date this wknd. Any recommendations for a nice/romantic restaurant ? Any other get-to-know places for this wknd?
    Zambra. Super cool place, tucked away. I havenít been in a while, but the food has always been pretty solid. Tapas style, great wine selection. Everywhere has good beer. Cocktails too. Itís about as romantic and private as it gets around here.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sugar_Brad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,106
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Alright I am admittedly ignorant in this stuff - just bought my first house evah last October. But doesn't this type of mindset mean you are leaving money on the table? It blows me away this happens. Ask for more $, right?
    No not at all. Most houses go for 10-20k more than what they would list for. If they do list on MLS/Zillow etc you are already at least 6th in line to make an offer.

  36. #36
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    27,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Alright I am admittedly ignorant in this stuff - just bought my first house evah last October. But doesn't this type of mindset mean you are leaving money on the table? It blows me away this happens. Ask for more $, right?
    Well, if the buyers in the area know that good homes sell fast (if you're buying in AVL, you should know this), then anyone who's interested should be making super competitive offers. It then becomes up to the seller what they want to do about that. If the seller wants max $, then they can pit the offers against each other and take the best. Or, they could take the first offer on the table. If you're a seller in this area, you have the choice to price it high to try to get max $, or price it low to either sell fast or get attention and make potential buyers compete.

    The ppl I bought my house from seemed to be all over taking the quick way out. I made a strong offer because I didn't want to get sniped like I did on the last house I made an offer on. I also made a few demands on some maintenance projects and they didn't bat an eye. In hindsight, I probably could have demanded more from them (like maybe having them cut down the big, dead oak tree next to the master bedroom), but I'm glad I got a house I like that met my needs and is in a location that makes me happy.

  37. #37
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,611
    We recently sold a rental property that weíd owned for about 15 years. Not only did we have multiple offers within hours that were over our asking, 2 of the prospective buyers included long, personal letters with their offers. Weíve bought and sold a few properties over the years and that was a first. Just a little indication of how competitive it is here.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sugar_Brad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,106
    What I don't understand is where everyone works. The only real industry is the medical field. The ratio of people moving here to the amount of jobs available does not add up.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,277
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    What I don't understand is where everyone works. The only real industry is the medical field. The ratio of people moving here to the amount of jobs available does not add up.
    I can speak for myself and several others in my circle that what has allowed us to come (or come back as it is for me and wife) is working remotely. I kept my job from the big city but now work out of my basement.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Banjopickin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    625
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    What I don't understand is where everyone works. The only real industry is the medical field. The ratio of people moving here to the amount of jobs available does not add up.
    Lots of independently wealthy retirees, folks that work from home, and a fair amount of Trustfundafarians. How is someone a waiter/waitress or bar tends part-time and ďownsĒ a home in this town is beyond me but itís really common.

    Me... I sell bootleg dvds and homemade Kombucha.
    On your left!

  41. #41
    Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Reputation: AVL-MTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,071
    Quote Originally Posted by splitendz View Post
    Sorry for the slight hijack, but I'm driving to Asheville for a date this wknd. Any recommendations for a nice/romantic restaurant ? Any other get-to-know places for this wknd?
    Travania Italian Kitchen and Wine Bar or Grove Park Inn. There are other good places in Biltmore park.

  42. #42
    Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Reputation: AVL-MTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,071
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    What I don't understand is where everyone works. The only real industry is the medical field. The ratio of people moving here to the amount of jobs available does not add up.
    Go to a staffing agency. They can barrely find workers.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sugar_Brad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,106
    Quote Originally Posted by AshevilleMTB View Post
    Go to a staffing agency. They can barrely find workers.
    Very true. However most of that demographic are not homeowners. Like Flack-Attack said: lots of trustfunders and retirees. Finding places to rent is just as cut throat. You are lucky to find a moldy basement nevermind a decent place.

  44. #44
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    27,057
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    We recently sold a rental property that weíd owned for about 15 years. Not only did we have multiple offers within hours that were over our asking, 2 of the prospective buyers included long, personal letters with their offers. Weíve bought and sold a few properties over the years and that was a first. Just a little indication of how competitive it is here.
    I read a lot of real estate articles while house shopping, trying to figure out what I needed to do and how. Writing those letters is actually getting recommended nowadays sometimes. I did not write one, but probably would have if another offer was rejected.

    The ppl in my neighborhood might be an interesting sample. Yes, there are semi wealthy retirees (one couple just moved in to a house the owned for 18mo while they renovated a bunch of nearly new stuff in it). But most work. Nearly all are 2 earner households. Some of the 2nd earners do multiple odd jobs. Some in medical field (nurses). One works for the NPS. One guy works in cybersecurity. Insurance sales. Fly fishing guide. Bank teller. Owner of a landscaping company. And this is outside the city where things are a touch more affordable.

    Oh, can't forget the mansion on the hill. That guy is a Ukranian who owns a trucking company and has a hobby farm with sheep.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,283
    There is actually is a fair amount of industry in the 45 min area around Buncombe. GE, UPS, Continental, Baxter Healthcare, Ingles, Eaton Corp. Biltmore, etc....That's probably 10,000 -15,000 non-service based jobs right there.

  46. #46
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,611
    Quote Originally Posted by LaXCarp View Post
    There is actually is a fair amount of industry in the 45 min area around Buncombe. GE, UPS, Continental, Baxter Healthcare, Ingles, Eaton Corp. Biltmore, etc....That's probably 10,000 -15,000 non-service based jobs right there.
    Yup. Lots and lots of industry/manufacturing around here. And with the growth, skilled trades are in really high demand. Carpenters/plumbers/electricians/etc... are hard to find from a building perspective. Also, I think some folks might be surprised by what a good server/bartender makes.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  47. #47
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I read a lot of real estate articles while house shopping, trying to figure out what I needed to do and how. Writing those letters is actually getting recommended nowadays sometimes. I did not write one, but probably would have if another offer was rejected.

    The ppl in my neighborhood might be an interesting sample. Yes, there are semi wealthy retirees (one couple just moved in to a house the owned for 18mo while they renovated a bunch of nearly new stuff in it). But most work. Nearly all are 2 earner households. Some of the 2nd earners do multiple odd jobs. Some in medical field (nurses). One works for the NPS. One guy works in cybersecurity. Insurance sales. Fly fishing guide. Bank teller. Owner of a landscaping company. And this is outside the city where things are a touch more affordable.

    Oh, can't forget the mansion on the hill. That guy is a Ukranian who owns a trucking company and has a hobby farm with sheep.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    I think your neighborhood is a pretty fair slice of Asheville. I live in Oakley, just outside of town. Iím a carpenter and my wife is a nurse. My neighbors are made up of building trades workers, healthcare workers, business/restaurant owners, school teachers, an engineer, postal workers, USFS employees, state wildlife employees, artists, hair stylists, realtors, architects, financial planners, river guides, and Iím pretty sure a drug dealer. Itís pretty diverse, like Asheville is once you get away from the downtown, tourist, rich people bull shit. My job gives me an interesting perspective, building mostly high end homes, for rich people that move here because itís hip and cool. In the last year Iíve dealt with a couple from San Francisco, one an attorney, one a published fiction writer, a couple from NYC, one an attorney, the other in the music industry. Iíve had the great misfortune of dealing with a filthy rich couple from Connecticut, nasty people. So while the wealthy move in from all over the place, and dirty the place up with shitty attitudes and entitlement, the real Asheville, the one I fell in love with 30 years ago, is still here, plugging away. But itís no longer in Montford, or chicken alley, or chicken hill. Or anywhere downtown and west Asheville still sucks. And it certainly isnít in the generic ass piece of shit eye sore apartments that are springing up, especially on the south end. The real Asheville is exists in all the cool neighborhoods, with diversity and all that stuff. So, there you have it. Not sure how I got on that tangent. What was I talking about?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Alright I am admittedly ignorant in this stuff - just bought my first house evah last October. But doesn't this type of mindset mean you are leaving money on the table? It blows me away this happens. Ask for more $, right?
    Not ignorant at all...a seller should have their house priced competitively based on the market. That's where a good real estate agent helps. No money should be left on the table if it sells before hitting MLS. Most agents will send out a pre-notice of the pending listing to all the folks on their list serve and schedule a pre/private viewing for agents before it hits MLS. These agents all have lists of potential buyers (at least in Asheville) who have missed out on previous home listings and are ready and willing to put in a competitive offer. This is where the multiple competing offers will come in.
    Asheville housing is a TOUGH market for a buyer. Keep in mind if the offer is over the asking price, it often requires the buyer to come to the table with extra money because a house still needs to appraise for the selling value for a bank to lend money.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 2
    Cannondale CAAD12
    Niner RLT9
    Salsa Fargo
    Niner SIR9 27.5+
    Surly Krampus

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: avlfj40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    126
    We were advised not to have any contingencies, other than the standard inspection and appraisals, in the offer we made. Those will be rejected by the seller.

  50. #50
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    27,057
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    I think your neighborhood is a pretty fair slice of Asheville. I live in Oakley, just outside of town. Iím a carpenter and my wife is a nurse. My neighbors are made up of building trades workers, healthcare workers, business/restaurant owners, school teachers, an engineer, postal workers, USFS employees, state wildlife employees, artists, hair stylists, realtors, architects, financial planners, river guides, and Iím pretty sure a drug dealer. Itís pretty diverse, like Asheville is once you get away from the downtown, tourist, rich people bull shit. My job gives me an interesting perspective, building mostly high end homes, for rich people that move here because itís hip and cool. In the last year Iíve dealt with a couple from San Francisco, one an attorney, one a published fiction writer, a couple from NYC, one an attorney, the other in the music industry. Iíve had the great misfortune of dealing with a filthy rich couple from Connecticut, nasty people. So while the wealthy move in from all over the place, and dirty the place up with shitty attitudes and entitlement, the real Asheville, the one I fell in love with 30 years ago, is still here, plugging away. But itís no longer in Montford, or chicken alley, or chicken hill. Or anywhere downtown and west Asheville still sucks. And it certainly isnít in the generic ass piece of shit eye sore apartments that are springing up, especially on the south end. The real Asheville is exists in all the cool neighborhoods, with diversity and all that stuff. So, there you have it. Not sure how I got on that tangent. What was I talking about?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I've encountered a couple real nasty pieces of work from the New England vicinity since I've moved here. They can all get out as far as I'm concerned. Granted, almost nobody in my neighborhood was actually born nearby (maybe 1 in 10 are from the area), but everyone I've met so far is super nice. The people next door are from New England, too. The nice people can stay. The nasty people can leave.

    Ranking all my the neighborhoods I've lived in on friendliness, this one hits near the top. Next was in Texas (small town, small neighborhood - fewer people, but they made up a higher proportion of overall residents). After that, it's kindof a muddled mess. I might have one nice neighbor followed by either a bunch of people I'd never see, or might be in outright conflict with.

    I haven't heard anyone refer to "chicken alley" or "chicken hill" yet. I'm curious where those areas are.

    I feel like my agent is a big reason we got the place we did. We were referred to him by my wife's boss. It was on MLS (which is how he found it), but it hadn't gone to any "public" listings yet. We never saw it on the MLS portal that our agent set us up on. It finally came up on the realtor.com listings AFTER we had already bought it. He actually lives pretty close by and didn't even know this neighborhood existed until that listing came up. It's also entirely possible that the listing timing affected things. We bought it kinda late in the season (October), and home sales always do slow down in wintertime.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: avlfj40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post

    I haven't heard anyone refer to "chicken alley" or "chicken hill" yet. I'm curious where those areas are.
    Do you know where the original White Duck Taco is? It's the hill that is behind it. On the fringe of RAD.

  52. #52
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    27,057
    Quote Originally Posted by b-roken View Post
    Do you know where the original White Duck Taco is? It's the hill that is behind it. On the fringe of RAD.
    I know where a few are. Not sure which is OG. I have been to the one in RAD, though, so that gives me an idea.

    How did it get the name? A defunct chicken processing plant or tons of backyard chickens?

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

  53. #53
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,611
    Quote Originally Posted by b-roken View Post
    Do you know where the original White Duck Taco is? It's the hill that is behind it. On the fringe of RAD.
    Yup, thatís the very bottom of chicken hill. And if I remember correctly I think the original white duck was downtown? Maybe? Chicken alley is an alley downtown that for years was synonymous with artists and seriously groovy people. Old school Asheville, real freaks. Loft apartment/gallery/studio spaces. Good times. Now itís mostly short term rentals, owned by out of towers. It is no more.

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation: avlfj40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    126
    I think the building it's in, the OG White Duck, used to be a chicken hatchery. Old timers to Asheville will know better. The company I work for used to be on the corner of Haywood and Roberts St in RAD across from the Wedge.

  55. #55
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,611
    Quote Originally Posted by b-roken View Post
    I think the building it's in, the OG White Duck, used to be a chicken hatchery. Old timers to Asheville will know better. The company I work for used to be on the corner of Haywood and Roberts St in RAD across from the Wedge.
    It was a hatchery back in the day. But I do think that the original white duck was downtown. Maybe on Broadway? I donít think Iím making it up. Could be though.

  56. #56
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,611
    Quote Originally Posted by b-roken View Post
    The company I work for used to be on the corner of Haywood and Roberts St in RAD across from the Wedge.
    Dave steel?

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: avlfj40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    126
    Close. AVL Technologies

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    96

    Good Luck

    I bought a 2nd home on AVL about 18 months ago and spent about a year trying to buy something. It's certainly a sellers market and prices are well above the rest of NC.

    It's not as close to great riding, but Erwin Hill area in Northwest AVL is fairly convenient, but traffic still has it's moments.
    There's only one bigger sheep than manufacturer's - consumers! - AndrewTO

Similar Threads

  1. Ideal Road Trip FROM AVL...
    By docter_zab in forum North & South Carolina
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-28-2013, 06:11 AM
  2. Trailhead Bike Shops Near AVL
    By Fuzzydogg in forum North & South Carolina
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2013, 10:09 PM
  3. New to AVL - where to ride during/after rain?
    By stori in forum North & South Carolina
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-10-2013, 12:31 PM
  4. Kinda OT- BunCo/NPS AVL trail study
    By timdvm in forum North & South Carolina
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-16-2012, 07:02 AM
  5. anybody in AVL that can fix bike lights?
    By dobovedo in forum North & South Carolina
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-17-2011, 05:52 PM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.