Moving to Asheville, need a Pisgah bike recommendation...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Smile Moving to Asheville, need a Pisgah bike recommendation...

Just got back from 4 days in Asheville.

My wife and I live in Wisconsin. We love riding, but got tired fo the long drive to good trails and we sold our bikes (both Stumpys). Now we are moving to Asheville/Fletcher and need new bikes (29ers only need apply).

I am old, fat and slow. I am thinking full squish. I had a 2011 Stumpy FSR 29er. My wife had a carbon Stumpy hard tail. She likes the lighter weight.

Now we will have to buy new bikes. I don't mind spending money to buy something nice, but would like to stay $3,000 or less for each bike. Having never ridden Pisgah, I am not sure exactly what to expect...other than more climbing than I am used to.

Any and all input appreciated.

Thanks.
    Marc82Much
    Saint Louis, MO

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'd say a 5-6" travel if you're looking at 26ers. Remedy, Heckler/Nomad, SB66/575, SJ EVO, etc. But you could be fine on the FSR 29er. I have a 26" SJ FSR and don't have complaints, though I'm upgrading to a 6" bike for this year now that I'm riding more aggressive.
    idiom - raleigh hard rock
    http://www.idiomband.com

Thread Killer
    Hey Paladin, glad to hear you're making the move!

You have a lot to choose from, and if I may, buy local! You'll pay less in sales tax at least :-)

Seriously, 5-ish inches on a 29er makes for a great all-around Pisgah bike, esp. if you can make it fairly light. Locals here run the gamut, though, so take advice with a grain of salt!

Personally, I'm on a Salsa Spearfish (80mm travel) but am a racer-type geek, and my wife will soon be on a Horsethief (120mm travel). If I were to say "one bike for most Pisgah excursions," I'd lean toward the HT-style bike: 29er, 5" or so of travel -- so a Stumpy would be right up the alley.

Lots of great shops around here to choose from, and you'll definitely find one that fits your style!

Welcome!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crossboy View Post
    Hey Paladin, glad to hear you're making the move!

You have a lot to choose from, and if I may, buy local! You'll pay less in sales tax at least :-)

Seriously, 5-ish inches on a 29er makes for a great all-around Pisgah bike, esp. if you can make it fairly light. Locals here run the gamut, though, so take advice with a grain of salt!

Personally, I'm on a Salsa Spearfish (80mm travel) but am a racer-type geek, and my wife will soon be on a Horsethief (120mm travel). If I were to say "one bike for most Pisgah excursions," I'd lean toward the HT-style bike: 29er, 5" or so of travel -- so a Stumpy would be right up the alley.

Lots of great shops around here to choose from, and you'll definitely find one that fits your style!

Welcome!
    Thanks. We are shooting for a July 1 start date to our new adventure. Great food in Asheville!

It seems like the Stumpy hard tails are all 80mm front forks...will that be enough? I am not a racer type...I want something comfy and not too heavy. So, you think a hard tail will be a good choice?
    Marc82Much
    Saint Louis, MO

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    Thanks. We are shooting for a July 1 start date to our new adventure. Great food in Asheville!

It seems like the Stumpy hard tails are all 80mm front forks...will that be enough? I am not a racer type...I want something comfy and not too heavy. So, you think a hard tail will be a good choice?
    Ah, sorry, forgot! I was meaning the Stumpy full suspension. I rode the aluminum version out in Arizona -- it's kind of a big bike, but doesn't ride like one.

One thought: Wait 'till you get here, or do this when you next travel down -- demo something local. That way you'll get a feel for what's out there and how it might ride -- like I said, so many good shops means you have a lot of brands to choose from!

mtbr member
    Wait 'till you get here, or do this when you next travel down -- demo something local. That way you'll get a feel for what's out there and how it might ride --
    We will be there again sometime around April 5th through 16th. Spring break in WI and we will head out by car and bring out gear. Can you recommend a bike shop that really knows the local trails and might rent bikes?
    Marc82Much
    Saint Louis, MO

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    We will be there again sometime around April 5th through 16th. Spring break in WI and we will head out by car and bring out gear. Can you recommend a bike shop that really knows the local trails and might rent bikes?
    Hoo boy, that's a can o'worms!

This would be a great time to get to know the shops here -- get their vibe and figure out what might work for you. From the south:

The Hub at Backcountry Outdoors - literally opens up their back door to Pisgah. Rentals/demos and beer on tap: The Hub - The Hub Bike shop in Western North Carolina Pisgah

Sycamore Cycles - literally across the street from The Hub. Specialized demos: Bicycle Store, Bike Shop, Biking and Service in Western NC

Carolina Fatz - near Bent Creek, been around for a long while, about 20-ish miles north of Sycamore/The Hub: Carolina Fatz Cycling Center Asheville, NC

Motion Makers - just a mile north of Fatz, so also near Bent Creek and near Papa's & Beer. Also a Specialized dealer: Motion Makers Bicycle Shop - Asheville & Sylva, NC - Specialized, Cervelo, Raleigh, Pivot

If you're moving to Fletcher, nearby in South Asheville is Liberty Bicycles, celebrating 32 years this year. They're the Trek dealer in town, also Salsa and Niner: Liberty Bikes, Asheville's Largest, Nation's Best

In West Asheville, there's ProBikes, cool vibe in a cool part of town: Home

Going north, you've got Youngblood's: Youngblood Bicycles | Asheville NC | Gary Fisher, Cannondale, Bianchi, Lynskey and Masi Bikes

Ski Country Sports: Ski Country Sports

Chainheart (a bit more roadie/pro shop style): https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chain...o/114146383243

BioWheels and Hearns are right in town: BioWheels = Bikes for Life and https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hearn...90835900964625

Way south in Hendersonville you've also got BikeWays (bikewayswnc.com) and the second Sycamore location, but they're both farther away from the Forest.

And, as the saying goes, if you don't like any of the shops we've got, wait 2 years and you'll get a new one -- whether you want it or not!

Support Pisgah Area Soba

... and if we just ...

Hoo boy, that's a can o'worms!

This would be a great time to get to know the shops here -- get their vibe and figure out what might work for you. From the south:
    I am saving your post, I hope you don't mind and will re-post when needed. I will give you credit for sure if you want on every re-post. I can't give you any more positive feed back. I keep hitting the button but have to wait.... sigh.
    Pisgah Area Sorba - Web Site Communications
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by Logover View Post
    I am saving your post, I hope you don't mind and will re-post when needed. I will give you credit for sure if you want on every re-post. I can't give you any more positive feed back. I keep hitting the button but have to wait.... sigh.
    Ha! Thanks. No credit necessary -- it's my job I figured the first reply would be someone pointing out who I missed ...

... which, in this case was Epic Cycles in Black Mountain -- I left them off the original list since Paladin seems to be relocating to Fletcher. At any rate, can't forget our friends up the mountain ...

Epic Cycles, Black Mountain: Epic Cycles Black Mountain NC

Also note, there are a number of "serivce shops" sprouting up -- I can think of three off the top of my head. They don't necessarily carry any bike lines, and are focused on repair business.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    BTW Pisgah breaks bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I work as the mechanic at Ski Country. We have the Kona Satori, which is 5" of travel front and back, and would make an awesome Pisgah Dual suspension.

My personal favorite is the Giant XTC Carbon 29er. This is probably the strongest frame Giant has ever made, and they make more than anybody. This bike is well under 3k.

Focus less on bike, as the majority of 29er frames are strong enough. Focus more on real tires, properly maintained components, and wheels. I have ridden pisgah on rigid cannondale and Gt hardtails with cantilevers back in the 90's. It worked fine. Today I still roll a fully rigid bike, and still have mechanical brakes. Still fairly quick.

Find a couple shops you like, and they will keep you riding. I see some customers twice a week these days.

Also remember we have a fantastic suspension shop, Suspension Experts, as well as the finest wheels systems in the world over at I9.

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusSommers View Post
    Also remember we have a fantastic suspension shop, Suspension Experts, as well as the finest wheels systems in the world over at I9.
    and (ahem, cough, cough) those headset and shock guys at Cane Creek too.

Thread Killer
    Hey Paladin, just sent you a PM in case you didn't see it. Beautiful day in Pisgah, just saying!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Black Mountain, Yesterday, 6pm.

mtbr member
    Paladin,

I tried to send you a PM but it doesn't show in my sent messages. I'm a real estate agent in the South Asheville/Arden area and have been mountain biking for 25 years. I would love to help you find a home here if you don't already have an agent.You should also consider looking at the Bent Creek area if you want to be close to trails as well as being close to Asheville. I live about 5 minutes from Bent Creek and love it. Dupont & Pisgah trails are also within 30 minutes or so.

My contact info is below:

Chris Ready
    Preferred Properties of Asheville, Inc.
    1075 Hendersonville Rd., Suite 100
    Asheville, NC 28803
    828.702.8711 cell
    828.210.9400 office
    [email protected]
    Asheville NC Real Estate Agents | Preferred Properties

mtbr member
    I'd say 5ish inch fully is the way to go for all around fun. If you're set on 29er I'd get a stumpy or a transition bandit. Yeti sb95 looks nice too but getting on the pricey end. If you'll consider a 26 the possibilities are pretty endless.

Just ride!
    Tallboy, 120 fork. Pisgah butter knife

Big Mac
    Clearly, you just need to get here and demo some bikes. Everyone has an opinion and you know what they say about those.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by readycpa View Post
    Paladin,

I tried to send you a PM but it doesn't show in my sent messages. I'm a real estate agent in the South Asheville/Arden area and have been mountain biking for 25 years. I would love to help you find a home here if you don't already have an agent.You should also consider looking at the Bent Creek area if you want to be close to trails as well as being close to Asheville. I live about 5 minutes from Bent Creek and love it. Dupont & Pisgah trails are also within 30 minutes or so.

My contact info is below:

Chris Ready
    Preferred Properties of Asheville, Inc.
    1075 Hendersonville Rd., Suite 100
    Asheville, NC 28803
    828.702.8711 cell
    828.210.9400 office
    [email protected]
    Asheville NC Real Estate Agents | Preferred Properties
    Times are hard, I know, but dayem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    My Trek Rumblefish has worked quite well, climbs like a goat on the technical stuff. For me though, my next bike will have the little wheels and more travel, but that's just personal preference.

My best advice, go rent a few different bikes and see what you like.

ohhman
    Hardtail or short travel 29er for all day'ers.

120-160mm travel 26er for the play days.
    Gotta have at least 2 bikes... Too much variety, of trails/terrain, for 1 bike.

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    Quote Originally Posted by salmansp View Post
    Hardtail or short travel 29er for all day'ers.

120-160mm travel 26er for the play days.
    Gotta have at least 2 bikes... Too much variety, of trails/terrain, for 1 bike.

See I feel just the opposit.

120-140 Full suspension 29er for long days and nimble 100 or 120mm travel for play days.
    Pisgah Area Sorba - Web Site Communications
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/

Members who have read this thread: 2