Moving to Aiken- Mtbr.com

Thread: Moving to Aiken

mtbr member

Moving to Aiken

I am going to be moving to Aiken SC at the end of the year. Don't really know much about the area. Where are the good areas to live? what there is to do? Good elementary school?

I have read about FATS trails and Boyds park, which seem ok. Is night riding allowed in either trail? Any other places to go?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Fat View Post
    I am going to be moving to Aiken SC at the end of the year.
    ...sending thoughts and prayers...
    On your left!

mtbr member
    There is a lot of riding in that area. They had the USA Marathon nats down there a few years ago. If you want mountains, Western NC is about 2-3 hours away. I don't know much about the actual town, but there is a lot going on in Columbia and Augusta. Just be prepared to be hot, as summer runs from late April to October. Fall and Spring are the best times to ride and winter is really not bad either.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    ...sending thoughts and prayers...
    Interested in hearing why?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    There is a lot of riding in that area. They had the USA Marathon nats down there a few years ago. If you want mountains, Western NC is about 2-3 hours away. I don't know much about the actual town, but there is a lot going on in Columbia and Augusta. Just be prepared to be hot, as summer runs from late April to October. Fall and Spring are the best times to ride and winter is really not bad either.
    How bad is the summer with the humidity? I'm in DC now. When I looked at the weather for GA at the same time, the "feels like temp" was actually lower and with less humidity in GA. But that could have just been the brutal couple weeks we had here.

mtbr member
    Probably not that much worse than DC. But the Midlands part of SC does have a well deserved reputation for being hotter than hell.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    Probably not that much worse than DC. But the Midlands part of SC does have a well deserved reputation for being hotter than hell.
    I actually met Lucifer in December. He winters in Columbia and heads back down south (FAR south) in the summer - said it is way too hot for him in the summer time.

For the OP. FATS is OK but really, really, really boring. If you can make your way to the Athens area, I am a big fan of Heritage park and Fort Yargo.
    It is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it

mtbr member
    FATS is far far from the only riding is the CSRA area, I like basically all of the rest it more, personally. https://sorbacsra.org/Trails/Trails.htm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    FATS is far far from the only riding is the CSRA area, I like basically all of the rest it more, personally. https://sorbacsra.org/Trails/Trails.htm
    Good links and good post.
    It is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for all the help. Going to make a trip next month to find a house

mtbr member
    Tip: Camping at Petersburg Recreation Area in the early spring on the lake and riding Bartram, Keg, Mistletoe, etc from there is one my favorite things ever.

Tip#2: Respect hunting season. I wouldn't ride any trails there during deer rifle season it is a very very popular area for said. Maybe you hunt and that's awesome, I totally get that public lands exist partially because of the hunting lobby and fully support hunting rights, but I hate that these trails are from my perspective off-limits for one of the prime riding times down there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Hope your liking Aiken so far, I moved here in Oct of 2017 with my wife and family and love the small town with a big town feel.I'm hoping to get back into mountian biking and start riding the trails here and near Augusta. I joined Aiken Bike Club on Facebook and also use Strava. I've heard different things about Boyd being close together but that it dries fast after a rain storm. Fats is the more popular one near here but have also have heard Mistletoe state park is a good place also. Again welcome to Aiken.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMTB21 View Post
    Hope your liking Aiken so far, I moved here in Oct of 2017 with my wife and family and love the small town with a big town feel.I'm hoping to get back into mountian biking and start riding the trails here and near Augusta. I joined Aiken Bike Club on Facebook and also use Strava. I've heard different things about Boyd being close together but that it dries fast after a rain storm. Fats is the more popular one near here but have also have heard Mistletoe state park is a good place also. Again welcome to Aiken.
    So far we are loving it here. Really like the downtown area. I ride Boyd pond a lot since it is so close. I like it, pretty smooth but twisty. Drys very quickly. I haven't had a chance to get to FATS yet

If you want someone to show you the trails at Boyd, let me know

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    No problem, I was going to ride it today but then the rain came in and im like there goes that idea lol.