Moved to SC - Need guidance- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Moved to SC - Need guidance

Hey all

I just moved to Columbia from Alaska and I'm having trouble finding any good trails here. Most searches say to go up to NC or down to Charleston, but I don't really want to drive 2+ hours each way to find a good trail. Maybe I'm spoiled because Anchorage had so many good spots so close to town. Do I need to suck it up and take a trip, or is there something I'm missing in Columbia? Any insight you can give would be great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Although I haven't ridden there, I hear Harbison forest has some decent trails. Check it out and good luck.

mtbr member
    Don't think anyone can give a good recommendation without knowing what you like, do you enjoy climbing? Techy stuff? Fast and flowy? Multi-use Trails with joggers and segways?
    I rode Harbison last year for the first time and thought it had a pretty fun mix of everything.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Two trails systems within easy striking distance to Cola would be FATS near Augusta and Poinsett State Park towards Sumter. I ride them both and although not the same feel as WNC trails, they are still a ton a fun
    and worth the trip.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    Don't think anyone can give a good recommendation without knowing what you like, do you enjoy climbing? Techy stuff? Fast and flowy? Multi-use Trails with joggers and segways?
    I rode Harbison last year for the first time and thought it had a pretty fun mix of everything.
    I like a little bit of everything, except maybe the segways I'll check out Harbison, and maybe some of the other parks mentioned. Thanks for your help guys, I look forward to getting out there once it cools down a little.

MTBR Member
    Looks like MostChillin got ya covered. Come up to NC for Pisgah and the BBQ.

mtbr member
    The trails at Croft State Natural Area in Spartanburg are about 1:45 from Columbia, depending on where you are coming from Get off at the Clinton Exit and go north on 56 until you get to the metropolis of Pauline and then look for Groce Rd. on the right. Croft is a little more techy than Harbison or FATS, with a few pretty good hill climbs to keep you honest. There is a $2 parking fee or you can get the annual pass for $50 that gives you access to all the parks.

We don't have any grizzly bears or moose to worry about around here either.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Lots of other good XC riding about 1:30 away near FATS, check out the SORBA CSRA page. I personally prefer Modoc, WIne, Turkey, Bartram etc to FATS but to each their own.

Otherwise, my advice is to not move to Columbia for mountain biking. Also, don't neglect going to the beach. If I lived in Columbia, I'd probably end up buying a time share or something.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    My wife and I have been living in Columbia for over 4 years now, and the best thing we can recommend to ride is Brevard area (Pisgah and DuPont for sure). However, as mentioned above, FATs, Paris MTN, Harbison are all great trails. Other trails worth mentioning are Sandhill in NE Columbia, Susquecentinal, Beech MTN, Pickens Bike Park, and I have heard there are decent trails in Charlotte too. Hope you enjoy it here, we sure have!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    Otherwise, my advice is to not move to Columbia for mountain biking. Also, don't neglect going to the beach. If I lived in Columbia, I'd probably end up buying a time share or something.

Haha not my choice, I'm in the Air Force and got stationed here. I just finished a light DH/All Mountain build, so it sounds like I'll have to take a trip up north for a weekend. Otherwise it sounds like there are more options than I originally thought. Thanks again for the help!

Turns right, slides left
    Quote Originally Posted by COCAROCHE View Post
    Haha not my choice, I'm in the Air Force and got stationed here. I just finished a light DH/All Mountain build, so it sounds like I'll have to take a trip up north for a weekend. Otherwise it sounds like there are more options than I originally thought. Thanks again for the help!
    Thank you for your service to our country.

You also have some good riding spots a little North along the SC/NC boader.