Mountains-to-sea trail- Mtbr.com
    banned

Smile Mountains-to-sea trail

Who is in charge of maintaining the mountains-to-sea trails?? I have noticed several places that are in need of repair.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by motobutane
    Who is in charge of maintaining the mountains-to-sea trails?? I have noticed several places that are in need of repair.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

What part of the MTS? The trail runs from the Mountain to the sea (duh).

Many different groups maintain this long distance trail resource and it runs across many different land managing agencies (Blue Ridge Parkway, Pisgah District, Grandfather District, different state park lands etc). You will need to be a bit more specific if you want a specific answer.

Woody

banned
    Hey its raining and I can't work,so here we go!

Oh, the Ranger District.

mtbr member

Oh, the Ranger District.
    Aren't you supposed to be riding on rainy days?
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Oh, the Ranger District.
    We can only assume you mean Pisgah District (there are 3 ranger districts in Pisgah National Forest)?

Also, there several different trails that make up the MTS in Pisgah District. Pisgah assigns trails based on trail name (and section) and not an over-all MTS basis. If you know the name of the specific trail, my guess is we could track down who this trail is assigned to.

Please note however that many of the groups who have trails assigned to then often do little other than corridor work. Few groups (if any) other than SORBA have historically done any needed tread work. They like to cut downfall, and one group does pretty good bridge work but that is about it.
    Woody

banned

... and if we just ... Save the Trails

Quote Originally Posted by ridn29s
    Aren't you supposed to be riding on rainy days?

I'm saving the trails! I'm gonna ride in Georgia this weekend and really save the trails up here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Google Mountains to Sea Trail

There is a website , I think it is hosted by NC Division of State Parks that will show what volunteer organization has responsibility for each section of the MTS. Locally, the Carolina Mountain Club has the responsibility for maintainance & construction of the trail from Mount Mitchell,to the Great Smokies National Park. They are currently working on new construction on the trail in the area between Balsam Gap & Waterrock Knob along the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Back in the fall of 2008, there was a series of articles in the Raleigh News & Observer highlighting the MTS, including the history of the efforts to make this trail happen, and a real good article featuring the group working on the trail in the Doughton Park area of the Parkway. That volunteer group is currently being led by Jim Hallsey, a retired NC Division of State Parks employee, who was the mastermind behind the entire MTS concept. Moto, since you live over here west of Asheville, you might find it interesting that the whole concept of MTS was first proposed to the public at Lake Junaluska back in 1977 at a national trails conference.

mtbr member
    Not a lot of maintenance gets done in this district. I have my state chainsaw certification and i try to stay on top of clearing fallen trees but it is a lot of work. What trails are you referring to?Soon I am going to do at least 2 days of much needed trail maintenance.

banned
    Sugar B where you B. Hey we are still planning a trip to Wilson's creek, just keep your ears open and I'll shout when we come that way.

mtbr member
    I am always down for a ride. Wilson's is about 20 min from my house.

Members who have read this thread: 0