Mountain Bike Bobsled Pinball- Mtbr.com
    Heads up Flyboy!!

Mountain Bike Bobsled Pinball

Hey Everyone,

I thought you'd be very interested in a new sport I've made. Its called mountain bike bobsled Pinball and I'm sure its going to be a instant hit!
    The premise of the sport. Find the steepest bit of smooth single or double-track that has had about 3 inches of snowfall with the top layer melted for a day or so then refroze over night.
    NOte: make sure the snow has frozen completely for maximum speed.
    The following day, take your bike and all of your warmest riding gear and climb, scrounge, and ice pick your way to the very top. Turn around and realize after the first four attempts of riding down and the trees and rocks are better rugby players then you are that its not happening that way. So what do you do?
    Sit on your bum( that is your posterior), lay your bike across your lap chain side up, and give a good shove off a nearby tree or rock. As you slide down you'll see that controlling your direction becomes a wee bit of a problem. No matter, you have your own personal bumper system right across your lap. Using your bicycles tires to hit the obstacles such as rocks and trees at a 45 degree angle to push you in the direction you would like to go as you gain speed, scream in joyful glee!

Recommended trails for mountain bike bobsled pinball:the upper section of Stone Mountain, the lower
    section of Rocky Ridge and the Ridge line trail all within Dupont State Forest. Have fun and be safe.

Jeremy

Jan 2004

Pack the Crampons

Sounds like some of the winter rides we had in Central Park. The Rambles on sheet ice where all you could do is sit down and pray. It was cool cause there were sections that were like bowls where you could launch yourself down one side and hopefully make it far enough up the other side to get back our again I remember pulling out an Allen wrench and using it an impromptu (and very inefficient) ice ax more than once.

There used to be an amazingly talented group of riders (early to mid 90s) who hung in the park and Ice riding was always in the cards. There would be marks down amazing sheet ice drops all over the rambles from these guys. Varied were the methods of spiking their tires but the results (and resultant things ridden) were pretty amazing. Some of the more illustrious alumni of the quasi “Team No Sleep” were Rich Katz early Trialsin colum in DR & http://www.crackedfork.com, Chris Beach http://www.thickbikes.com, and Doc http://www.brooklynmachineworks.com

I took my daughter riding on the road in the Greenville watershed and had a few nasty glaze ice moments, a few tears (but she gave me a hug and made my ouchy knee feel better) but a fun day none the less (not much for clearing or sanding the roads down there in SC are they)

mtbr member
    Lord no, that's why this SC native stayed off the road bike on Sunday. Glad you're OK.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Why would you even think about riding a road bike on the ice? I understand riding a road bike at bent creek... but not on ice!

endorphin junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Senor StrongBad
    Why would you even think about riding a road bike on the ice? I understand riding a road bike at bent creek... but not on ice!
    I not only thought about it, but used to do it. Gas prices near $4 per gallon. 10 mile daily commute in Ohio winter. Fixed gear w/ studded tires. Ice not a problem.
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Quote Originally Posted by Senor StrongBad
    Why would you even think about resurrecting a 7yr old thread thats not even seasonally relevant?

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Why wouldn't you want to resurrect a 7 year old thread? Why wouldn't you want to chat about riding a road bike on ice? Why wouldn't you want to read about sliding down a hill on your butt with a bike on your lap? Why wouldn't you want to hear about some 90's mtb history? Why wouldn't you want to hear about bobsledding and pinball? Why? What? When? Where?

-eddie.
    I don't like the idea of using my tires to "bounce" off of stuff. Those are pretty expensive toys.

endorphin junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireGoose
    Why would you even think about resurrecting a 7yr old thread thats not even seasonally relevant?
    Because at least this 7yr old thread that's not even seasonally relevant is more interesting than 600 consecutive threads with the same questions about visiting/moving/vacationing in/to/from/between NC/SC, and wanting to know where are good places to ride, even though that information can be obtained through the simplest of internet searches, including the previous 599 threads in this forum?

Maybe that's why?
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot