The Most Underrated Trail in Pisgah Award goes to:- Mtbr.com
    drunken pirate

The Most Underrated Trail in Pisgah Award goes to:

Vineyard Gap.

It starts with a short hike a bike and over 2.3 miles it crossing two gaps and one mountain. It has plenty of wide open and flowy cruising, a surprise little rock garden, a big downhill, a river crossing and a high grass flat section. Vineyard Gap has it all.

Next time you have an hour to kill in Turkey Pen try it out and back
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
    Vineyard Gap.

It starts with a short hike a bike and over 2.3 miles it crossing two gaps and one mountain. It has plenty of wide open and flowy cruising, a surprise little rock garden, a big downhill, a river crossing and a high grass flat section. Vineyard Gap has it all.

Next time you have an hour to kill in Turkey Pen try it out and back
    I like Vineyard a lot.

i always felt that NorthSlope is an underrated trail. i just wish it were a little longer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

which way?

Quote Originally Posted by brado1 View Post
    I like Vineyard a lot.

i always felt that NorthSlope is an underrated trail. i just wish it were a little longer.
    clockwise or counter? I've recently started doing it 'backwards' from my standard loop for a change up.

Don't like vineyard too much because of the lack of loop options (for someone like me anyway, who needs as much good downhill as uphill to enjoy the ride).

mtbr member
    I was going to go with Vineyard, or at least it immediately came to mind because it is short and packed with hard stuff. The two climbs usually result in my heart trying to exit my ears, the single-track is attention worthy, and the downhill is steep with steps just being about bottom bracket height. And it retains remote qualities due to the multiple wet-footed stream crossings. You never see anyone on it and you almost never see anyone coming the other way. Because that just plain sucks.
    "You can make some of the people happy some of the time, but you can't make all of the people happy all of the time."

drunken pirate
    I actually really like Vineyard up from the river! The initial push is well, a push, but after that it flows really good

I also seem to prefer North Slope clockwise these days.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan1 View Post

Don't like vineyard too much because of the lack of loop options (for someone like me anyway, who needs as much good downhill as uphill to enjoy the ride).
    Vineyard>Bradley Creek>Laurel Creek>Squirrel>Mullinax is my go to short loop at Turkeypen. Lots of fun packed in a few miles.

mtbr member
    I like the fire road> Bear Branch loop. Beautiful, always fun, fast, and a great warm-up or add-on to other rides.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Neat question.
    My job takes me away from Pisgah several times a year for extended periods of time. When I get back home, (born here), I always have to incorporate Vineyard Gap, Turkey Pen Gap, or Big Creek in a ride as soon as I can. I love the up hill sections, (big time on Big Creek heading west), because a rider can get a better vibe of this emotive forest while taking a needed respite on the uphill sections that one might miss while concentrating while bombing down.

endorphin junkie

Thanks for the suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by -Mueller- View Post
    Vineyard>Bradley Creek>Laurel Creek>Squirrel>Mullinax is my go to short loop at Turkeypen. Lots of fun packed in a few miles.
    I'm gonna go check these out right now. I've not yet been on V>BC>LC. I'll add in all the other little bits and pieces of trail around Buck Mountain just to round it out.
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

endorphin junkie

Vineyard Gap Endo

Well, that turned out to be quite an adventure for such a "short" loop. I missed the Laurel Creek turn off Bradly and did a helluva lot more stream crossings than I needed to. Good thing I was wearin' my neoprene booties for all the wading.

The highlight of the ride was my brilliantly executed Bike Balanced Upside Down During An Endo trick.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EkhmzPmUIsU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No applause, just throw ibuprofen.
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Nice. I also loved how you bulldozed thru that downed laurel at 0:16.

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    Now I can honestly say I have seen someone go over the bars on a 29er. Thanks Dobo
    Pisgah Area Sorba - Web Site Communications
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/

endorphin junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbwnc View Post
    Nice. I also loved how you bulldozed thru that downed laurel at 0:16.
    Yeah, thought I'd leave the downed laurel there so I didn't get accused of dumbing down the trail!

That's what got me into trouble, though. I saw the opening in the thinner branches on the left, but it got me off line and I couldn't see what was coming around the the next left hand bend. And my speed was too slow to make the next drop.

Which just happened to be a fairly big one.
    T.S. Eliot

Just ride!
    I was wondering if you were riding your new ride. Hopefully, you're uninjured!

Members who have read this thread: 0