Moore Springs Trails in Hanging Rock State Park- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2018

Moore Springs Trails in Hanging Rock State Park

Anybody ride this. I went yesterday, not too far from my house. Itís got it all, climbs, downhills, berms, rock gardens and flow. Some of the rocky areas were pretty frustrating bc of rain two days ago and the North facing slopes get zero sun. There was more trail across the road but it was closed, anybody have any intel on whatís going on over there. Park Ranger was clueless.

mtbr member
    Yeah those trails are great. The stuff across the road... not sure where they are at as far as progress, but they had planned on building several more miles of trails over there. Should be done by now if all went well. It went out to bid two years ago.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Hopefully not too much on the south facers or it will get overridden with poison oak. I donít think they get too much traffic, a little more technical than tanglewood.

lcc
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    MST is an awesome trail system! I live nearby and only ride elsewhere to break it up or for the bike culture in places like Pisgah...there's just no need to travel with this place in my back yard.

Ride the full loop on the farm house side both directions....ride back up and swing down the Rattler, the jumpy, bermed section on the side (hopefully you saw that!)...that is a pretty good day at MST.

The stuff on the other side was better before the new work was done, but I also like what they've done...it's not technical at all, but pedally, with some decently fast sections. Being that it still works legs and lungs, but lacks technicality, I think it would be excellent for newer riders. I start there after crossing the bridge on Moore's Spring Road, and yes, the tape is still up...but I'm not sure why. The trail seems ready.

Hope to see you out there soon!

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Sounds good man, Iím just west of Pilot but grew up near the Forsyth/Stokes line. I did notice a trail turn back hard to the left at the top of major Tom going clockwise around. I forgot to recheck the map when I got back to see where that went. Iím assuming itís a downhill section.

Have you done Westwood park yet?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Finally rode the north section (closed) trails. Real fun. Also rode the south side counter clockwise and did the rattler. Rattler is pretty rowdy. All in all this place is my new favorite. Plan to check out the Green Heron Ale House on my way home sometime soon.

mtbr member
    After speaking to someone from the park, the North section of trail should "open" this fall. They are not exactly certain when though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    i was there yesterday morning, and a volunteer trail crew was cutting down some trees on Major Tom. I talked to the park ranger, Ray, whom i had spoke with earlier in the summer. I told him i would ride original loop and land of the lost and assess the damage. there wasnt any. Then i met them across the road on one of the new sections that isnt open. Once again, i rode ahead and surveyed damage while they cut up anything behind me. There wasnt much in the way so Ray said he was going to hurry up and get it blazed and ready to open. The 10 year plan involves several more miles of trail, hopefully similar to original loop-major tom-land of the lost.

29er zealot
    Larry, cutting down upright trees, or cutting trees that had fallen?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by froth14 View Post
    Larry, cutting down upright trees, or cutting trees that had fallen?
    fallen trees, from what i saw one big red oak and pine.

mtbr member
    So all that is left to do before the North section of trails opens is apparently the signage... and if you ride on the weekends, the Green Heron is a definite stop... till it closes at the end of October.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by kebs View Post
    So all that is left to do before the North section of trails opens is apparently the signage... and if you ride on the weekends, the Green Heron is a definite stop... till it closes at the end of October.
    Yep and I think it has to be approved for opening. The Green Heron is a cool spot, I graduated with the girl bartender, she cool too.