Moderate Pisgah ride- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Moderate Pisgah ride

I was thinking about doing a loop that seems fairly moderate (on the map). Your input would be appreciated.

Turkey Pen trailhead
    South Mills River
    right on Squirrel Gap Trail
    right on Mullinax
    back to trailhead
    Zippity do dah...

When did you get here?!?!
    S. Mills to Squirrel is much harder than it looks on paper. If you're prepared for endless river crossings before you start to climb then you've chosen an excellent ride for a hot day. Maybe a bit on the hard side of moderate, but one guys moderate ride is another guy's death march.... (to quote another thread going)
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

pronounced may-duh
    try this

SMR
    Mullinax
    Squirrel
    Horse Cove
    Cantrel Creek
    SMR

Lotsa fun on squirrel, Fun DH on horse cove and Cantrel Then a very easy spin back on SMR All the crossings have bridges from this point on SMR back to TP trailhead.

mtbr member
    Let's ride- that exact ride took 4 "expert"class riders about (guessing here) 3.76935404 hours of pedaling last weekend. At least two of us (me and Poss) are about as familiar with Pisgah as anyone anywhere and the group got separated and lost. Total ride time was 4.75 hours.

In other words NOT A MODERATE LOOP at all.

EDIT: It also had me yelling and screaming with joy. It's more of a true adventure than almost any other ride on the map. SMR does NOT flow in the trail sense-but it does in the water sense.

banned
    Well its gonna be on the hot side this weekend so going up SMR and crossing it 8-10 times might be ok, if you don't mind getting really wet.And if you have never been in there then you better re-read Mike Brown's post, there are a few tricky turns.This time of year that part of SMR is very overgrown and you can wind up crossing the river several unexpected times trying to find the "real" trail.I'm just saying!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    there are some nice pools if your in to trout fishing.

banned
    Good idea Ghostbear, just bring a creel instead of a camelback and your fishingpole and just go up SMR. Then turn around and comeback.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I think im gonna do this trail tommorrow Are there any signs at these intersections? If no anyone have good things to look for to know when to turn? I have NG map 780 and a compass but thats about it for navigation purposes. Thanks Pat

mtbr member
    Again- this is probably the hardest trail to navigate in the district. It's do-able.
    Also SMR has the least elevation change of any trail it's length and crosses a signficant river 8-10 times- no briges. Waist deep crossing, strong currents.
    The trail is very overgrown and rocky- pretty technical actually.
    There are definitely some unsigned turns, or least turns where the signs are less than obvious.
    If you're looking for an adventure, this is a great ride.
    If you're looking for a classic Pisgah Experience, there's much better options.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    Again- this is probably the hardest trail to navigate in the district. It's do-able.
    Also SMR has the least elevation change of any trail it's length and crosses a signficant river 8-10 times- no briges. Waist deep crossing, strong currents.
    The trail is very overgrown and rocky- pretty technical actually.
    There are definitely some unsigned turns, or least turns where the signs are less than obvious.
    If you're looking for an adventure, this is a great ride.
    If you're looking for a classic Pisgah Experience, there's much better options.
    Such as?

banned

Dude!

Quote Originally Posted by pat_martin
    I think im gonna do this trail tommorrow Are there any signs at these intersections? If no anyone have good things to look for to know when to turn? I have NG map 780 and a compass but thats about it for navigation purposes. Thanks Pat
    The section of SMR that you have been talking about has bridges at each crossing, from Cantrell to Turkeypen parking lot. From Cantrell east or up river is where it gets sh!tty.

Members who have read this thread: 0