Mocksville, NC- Mtbr.com

Thread: Mocksville, NC

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Mocksville, NC

Hoping to find some help from a local of the area. I'm looking at a potential job change that would take me to Mocksville, NC, but I've been digging around the net and I'm becoming a little concerned that it's really BFE with nothing to keep me entertained. I'm not finding much. Mocksville didn't even show up in the search results here on MTBR and on Singletrack.com it only shows five trails and all of them are pretty short. I couldn't even find any apartment listings for Mocksville, and only two in Lexington and they looked rather dumpy.

What is the area like? What is the riding scene like? Are there more trails and riding opportunities in the area that I'm missing? What about road, crits, gravel and cross; any of that? I also like hiking and kayaking, but I'm thinking there isn't much of that in the area to speak of, either. Any locals with some insider knowledge they can share?

David

Big Mac

Mocksville, NC

Sorry, never even heard of it. But, I can tell you, that it's not in the mountains.

Rogue Exterminator
    Never heard of Mocksville, NC either.
    Pretty sure it will be the suck.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Plenty of riding close by. Mock Orange Bikes is also a cool shop. There are trails at Tanglewood Park near Winston Salem and you are very close to Dark Mountain and the other awesome trails at Kerr. Beech Mountain is a day trip and Pisgah area is a very close overnighter. If you get the job pull the trigger.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    You'll be fine. You also have good riding at Lake Norman State Park, and day tripping options on the weekends to NC and VA mountains. Dark Mountain, OVT, and Warrior Creek trails are up near Wilkesboro less than an hour away depending on where you settle, and are great trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    You will find plenty of things to keep you busy. The White Water center is fairly close, it has trails & kayak activities. As for trails Tanglewood in Clemmons & Hobby park on the south side of Winston-Salem are a few minutes away. Check the Clemmons area for apartments.

mtbr member
    Lots of good riding up north of there in VA as well. The GW national forest is amazing.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    You would be within 2 - 3 hours of some of the best riding in the country.

There are also all the local trails mentioned already that would be 20 minutes to an hour away.

Race scene is decent. We have a Wednesday night series that is really fun, Southern Classic on Sundays, CX during the winter, Winston-Salem Classic in the spring, and an Olympic cycling training center coming to Winston-Salem.

The Yadkin and Dan Rivers are close by for paddling. If you want more excitement, there is always the mountains.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    unless you like living in the country, i'd head towards either statesville or winston-salem and commute. of the two, statesville is closer to the hills . . . but yeah, you're not far from the goods.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Be aware that it's also known as Mocksvegas!

It's a local thing...

Yeah!
    Are you kidding? You are on the edge of the best of both worlds! Ten miles from the foothills of the mountains, get your trail on! Do you like to road bike? NC's got dookie loads of long, flatish roads running from one podunk town to the next all the way to the coast. Many of these "towns" don't even have stop signs, you just roll on through! I used to ride a full century I mapped out with not one single stop sign and not one road ridden more than once.

NC is a night roadie's dream come true about 5-50 miles inland of the coast. You can spent hours riding smooth, flat, straight roads with no street lamps and no cars, only the occasional sodium lamp a few hundred feet off the road at a home or farm. I could ride without lights for hours, nothing but the moonlight and softly glowing fog building in the fields to keep me and my fellow company. Not as sure further inland from there, but the various roads we took heading to and from Kentucky seems to be the same until we got to about Winston Salem.

Google is your friend. While you don't have much close by, you are just a few hours drive from hundreds of miles of prime bike trails all over the blue ridge mtns. You are near some of the best hiking, biking, camping, and whitewater rafting to be had on the east coast.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

Members who have read this thread: 0