Mills River Road Conditions---FS-479 and 1206- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Mills River Road Conditions---FS-479 and 1206

I rode up to the Mills River area a few weeks ago and was surprised to see both Gates closed (FS-5000--road to trace ridge and FS-1206 past the house on the left). Is this still the case as of today? If so, any idea as to when both of these gates will be opened? We were thinking about camping this weekend and just wanted to know as this is our favorite place to camp.

Thanks!!
    Last edited by Gaffney10; 04-12-2010 at 07:43 PM.

pronounced may-duh
    I think 1206 is open.

FS 5000 may still be closed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    I think 1206 is open.

FS 5000 may still be closed.
    Not sure about 1206....will be heading there this afternoon. 5000 (Trace Ridge) is closed from Mills River to Bent Creek. I'm sure the FS will open it in time for the logging trucks to meet their schedule.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    1206= open all the way through. 5000= closed.
    Tim

drunken pirate
    I saw cars at the bottom of 476 so I assume it is open.
    Last edited by driftwood; 04-13-2010 at 05:18 AM.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Yep, 1206 and 476 are open. I parked at the camping area at the end of the South Mills River trail yesterday. The place was pretty packed.

d00bie
    Where by chance is all of these trails and roads you guys speak ok? I know where Trace Ridge is, but as far as 1206, 479 and 476, what roads are they and where are they?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info guys!

I mean 5000 instead of 479.....I love camping close to the Trace Ridge Trailhead, off of the road to the reservoir.

5000 is the FS road that takes you to Trace Ridge

1206 is the FS road that takes you (eventually) all the way to 276...

Any timetables as to when 5000 will be cleared for cars to pass?

mtbr member
    what is the final word on 5000 (road to Trace Ridge)...closed or?

Thanks!!

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffney10
    what is the final word on 5000 (road to Trace Ridge)...closed or?

Thanks!!
    Read all the responses

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    Read all the responses
    I did, just seeing if anything has changed in the past few days.....I guess it is still closed....I guess I could always walk up 5000 and camp....

What other roads/trails in the area have good camping spots close to a river/source of water? We always like camping by the river off of the reservoir road....1206 has some sites but they tend to fill up quickly....I live an hour away so I cannot go by and reserve a place

pronounced may-duh
    1206 & 476 have sites

477 has sites but they are alcohol free. There is a road block near the horse stables but both ends of the road are open.

475B has lots of sites. The is a great site at the end of 225 Really they are all over the place

North mills campground is another option. Yes you'd have to pay to camp but at least they have a toilet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffney10
    I did, just seeing if anything has changed in the past few days.....I guess it is still closed....I guess I could always walk up 5000 and camp....

What other roads/trails in the area have good camping spots close to a river/source of water? We always like camping by the river off of the reservoir road....1206 has some sites but they tend to fill up quickly....I live an hour away so I cannot go by and reserve a place
    Turkey Pen area has some available near water. Also, backside of Pink Beds. It's off a side road of 1206 near the Brevard side, but not sure of road number.

mtbr member
    any updates on 5000? Still Closed or?

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Still closed as of Wed.

Ride On...

FS 5000 Still Closed... But Why?

III ride (or used to ride now) up around Trace Ridge, Bear Branch, Never Ending Road, etc about 3-4 times per week. I haven't bothered to go back up from the campground to actually see why the road is STILL closed after 5 months now. Has anyone rode or walked up to see whats wrong or keeping the gate closed for so long? The top of the road (at the BR Parkway tunnel) also has a gate there to stop vehicles from coming down. It's like they've forgotten that they locked the gates. I knew this would happen as soon as I saw the workers install the gates last Fall. Waaay too convenient now for them to drive back and close them for weeks/months at a time for no apparent reason...

I'll ride up there myself next week if no one posts a reply back to mine.
    Laurel Mtn, Bradley Creek, Slate Rock, Pilot Rock & FS 1206 have become boring already...
    Last edited by Killer B; 05-08-2010 at 05:20 PM.

() Life's Short, Enjoy The Ride... ()

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Not closed to bikes... you can pedal it.

mtbr member
    Washcreek is open from the parkway or Bent Creek Gap to Trace Ridge parking area. The gate is now right after the turn up to Trace parking area There is a slide on the creekside of the road with no shoulder and a 15 foot vertical drop that is keeping the road closed. Guess money is tight and there are other areas needing repair first. In my opinion that closed road section makes a fantastic warm up before you hit the trail. I normally park at Rice Pinnacle and ride over the parkway for a warm up ;-) So yeah don't be afraid to pedal it.

Ride On...
    Thanks for the last (2) replies! I decided to go ahead & ride again this evening, (5th time this past week) Anyway, I saw what you spoke about. That is such a shame to close the road because of that little wash-out. You could still drive a 18-Wheeler thru...I must say that it was very nice not to suck in any vehicle dust with the gravel road closed...
    I usually ride after work, so I'm on a time limit to try & get home in 2.5 hrs. I wish I could drive closer to the trails instead of riding an extra 20-30 mins 1st...

() Life's Short, Enjoy The Ride... ()

mtbr member
    below

mtbr member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Snototter
    Washcreek is open from the parkway or Bent Creek Gap to Trace Ridge parking area. The gate is now right after the turn up to Trace parking area There is a slide on the creekside of the road with no shoulder and a 15 foot vertical drop that is keeping the road closed. Guess money is tight and there are other areas needing repair first. In my opinion that closed road section makes a fantastic warm up before you hit the trail. I normally park at Rice Pinnacle and ride over the parkway for a warm up ;-) So yeah don't be afraid to pedal it.

There is not a way to currently access Trace Ridge by automobile....I tried to on Saturday but was unable...I drove to North Mills River Campground and the gate was closed there, so then I drove up to the parkway, hoping to enter in from the North but the gate was closed on the parkway before the turnoff to the road that takes you to trace ridge or bent creek....I guess the only way to enter would be through Bent Creek, correct??

Why wouldn't they place the gate a little farther down the road just past the FS Road or is the problem with the BRP right at that road?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    My guess is they don't want parkway traffic dumping off onto Wash Cr and Bent Cr Rd. Especially if Wash Cr were open to North Mills, Wash Cr would see alot of traffic that it isn't necessarily designed for, parkway being blocked and all.

mtbr member
    I could be wrong but I think the parkway is still closed just on the other side of Sleepy Gap or Beaverdam, not sure which, because of the Ferrin tunnel slide work. That would mean the gate from the parkway is definitely closed at Bent Creek Gap. So it sounds like the only way to get a car to Trace is by driving from Bent Creek up and over.

mtbr member
    Is the road to Trace Ridge Open yet or not? I am planning on camping tomorrow and I was wondering...we generally camp off of the rd to the Hendersonville Reservoir....

If not, are there any good car camping spots close to Mt. Mitchell or the immediate area? Does Toe River Rd have any spots (close to blk mnt campground). We will probably drink a few beers so the campground is out of the question.....

drunken pirate
    FR5000, Wash Creek Rd., is closed from 1206 to Hendersonville Reservoir Rd. but is open from Bent Creek Gap to HR Road. You can still drive to the Trace Ridge Trail Head just not from 1206.

Yes, there are car camping spots on Toe River Rd. They tend to fill up fast though.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Thanks Driftwood...we are trying to decide between the two...both are an hour away....Is the BRP still closed too, right before the junction where you can get to TR? I am familiar with going through Bent Creek, just kind of inconvenient.....

mtbr member
    Parkway is open with access to 5000(Wash Creek) and Bent Creek. It is gated on the other side of spillway below the turn for Trace Ridge parking.

Members who have read this thread: 0