Memorial day weekend in Pisgah: What to expect?- Mtbr.com
    Feel Good About Hood

Memorial day weekend in Pisgah: What to expect?

Any input is greatly appreciated. My original plan was to be at Davidson River CG 5/18 - 5/22 to avoid the holiday crowds. However something has come up for one of our group of 4 guys that is non-negotiable for him to graduate, and it is on Wed. 5/20. We would probably not be able to leave till Thursday. Hopefully ~4 AM or so but that would still put us in Brevard at 1-ish and I am worried about getting a spot. Of course there is always the free roadside stuff. BUT what I am most concerned about is the crowds over the weekend.

I try to avoid holiday weekends like the plauge. I don't want to be constantly dodging hikers, horses, etc. Nothing against other trail users but crowded trails are just no fun to me. Is this weekend typically pretty crazy or am I making a big deal about nothing? I could try and move my PTO to the week of June 1st but don't know if it will be approved this close. Your advice?
    Thanks!

Oh and I did use the search engine but didn't get much.

Matt

pronounced may-duh
    I'd be much more worried about getting a spot then traffic on the trails. If posible make a reservation so your sure to have a place to camp. There may be a few extra people on the trails IF the weather is good. But it's a big forest. Plenty of space for everybody.

My advice - try to reserve a spot and get over your fear of crowds. Or come some other time. Everything will be packed.
    "The Ice Age is comin', the Sun's zoomin' in..."

-The Clash

Feel Good About Hood
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    I'd be much more worried about getting a spot then traffic on the trails. If posible make a reservation so your sure to have a place to camp. There may be a few extra people on the trails IF the weather is good. But it's a big forest. Plenty of space for everybody.
    Thanks, this is what I was hoping for. I thought I was probably overblowing the crowds on the trails idea.

I have reservations for mon-thurs nights, but all of the reservable sites are booked for the weekend. They only have 41 sites listed for reservation but there are what 100+ sites? Plus Mills River CG and all the roadside stuff. Just wonder if Thursday afternoon is early enough to get a spot. I can sleep anywhere if it means riding in Pisgah.

Maybe if we left Wed afternoon and set up in a roadside site in the dark and scoped out our options first thing Thursday....

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I really wouldn't sweat it. There will for sure be some roadside spots on Thursday. You might be in the middle of Yellow Gap road but hey that is where a ton of the good riding is.

pronounced may-duh
    Thursday may be some nonreservable sites still open at Davidson. Just get one of the non reservable sites and they can't kick you out till your ready to go.

mtbr member
    FYI - That weekend is also the big summer kick-off festival in Brevard (White Squirrel Festival). There are a TON of out of towners, most are coming for the festival not for the deep woods. But I'll add a warning, some come for other people's stuff I had a bike stolen from downtown last year, and know some folks who had their campsite raided over the holiday weekend. Don't leave gear/valuables around any of the roadside campgrounds as I'm sure there will be people cruising for some easy pickin's.
    many gears, some pies

Feel Good About Hood
    Quote Originally Posted by ridn29s
    FYI - That weekend is also the big summer kick-off festival in Brevard (White Squirrel Festival). There are a TON of out of towners, most are coming for the festival not for the deep woods. But I'll add a warning, some come for other people's stuff I had a bike stolen from downtown last year, and know some folks who had their campsite raided over the holiday weekend. Don't leave gear/valuables around any of the roadside campgrounds as I'm sure there will be people cruising for some easy pickin's.
    Thank you! That is some good info. Should convince the guys to drive up Wed night to score a CG spot on Thurs. Nothing I hate worse than @#$%*! thieves.

Thanks for all the advice, I have been looking forward to this trip for months!

point and shoot...
    We are not big on crowds up here either, but can not avoid it when "Out of Towners" make there way into the woods up here. You can always stay local.

Feel Good About Hood
    Sasquatch - hard to tell tone on the net. Not sure if you are saying "out of towners stay home, you aren't wanted" or are just making a suggestion. I realise I came off as a little whiny, sorry bout that. Unfortunately things are already locked in so not coming is not an option. I am not going to worry about the crowds and have a great time (and spend some money while we are there).

I am sensitive to the desire for less people on your home turf. Generally I try to travel in "off season" to spread the impact. Didn't work out that way this time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedal/Paddle
    Sasquatch - hard to tell tone on the net. Not sure if you are saying "out of towners stay home, you aren't wanted" or are just making a suggestion. I realise I came off as a little whiny, sorry bout that. Unfortunately things are already locked in so not coming is not an option. I am not going to worry about the crowds and have a great time (and spend some money while we are there).

I am sensitive to the desire for less people on your home turf. Generally I try to travel in "off season" to spread the impact. Didn't work out that way this time.
    This local economy runs on out-of-towners and retirees. Come, have fun, spend money, enjoy the woods. As much as I love the woods they aren't mine any more than yours. In fact they belong to everyone who is a citizen. And if you get a chance come downtown on Friday, Saturday and/or Sunday as there's some great music and beer to be enjoyed.
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    Y'all have fun. I'll be at the beach recovering from Assaulting Mount Mitchell. (Road version)
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Official Cooler Inspector
    Weekend "tourist" housing just changed here due to their unexpected vehicle issue. If Bent Creek in the back yard isn't too much of an issue, PM me.

Edit: Oh - an there's a river nearby.
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

mtbr member
    If you're getting to Pisgah by 1pm on Friday, I doubt you'll have trouble finding a roadside spot.
    Zippity do dah...

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    He says they are getting there on Thursday, you might be able to even find a spot in the campground... maybe.

Feel Good About Hood
    We decided to get a cheap room in Greenville Wed night so we can be at the CG gates first thing Thurs morning. Anyone care to chime in on the fastest way from I-85 & Luarens Rd. to Davidson River? 276 > 25 > I-26 > 280 OR 276 > 64 (seems like a lot of twisty turny)

That White Squirrel Festival looks like a good time. Free live music is always good.

Thanks for posting your plan - had a "wait list". Ya'll have fun, ride like you know where you're going and be safe!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedal/Paddle
    We decided to get a cheap room in Greenville Wed night so we can be at the CG gates first thing Thurs morning. Anyone care to chime in on the fastest way from I-85 & Luarens Rd. to Davidson River? 276 > 25 > I-26 > 280 OR 276 > 64 (seems like a lot of twisty turny)

That White Squirrel Festival looks like a good time. Free live music is always good.

Straight up 276. It's not that twisty except for the part through Caesar's head, and that isn't that bad. it probably faster too and it's a nicer/more fun/scenic drive.

Ped/Pad - got your e-mail. Responded.

Members who have read this thread: 0