mem day wknd recs. Dupont State Forest?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

mem day wknd recs. Dupont State Forest?

Hi, some buddies and mine are gonna make the trip up north (From florida) and do some biking/hiking. It looks like Dupont State forest is a pretty sweet place. A couple questions:

Where around there would you suggest camping?

The wikipedia page mentions kayaking, would it be worth it to bring our kayaks with us? (We'll be there from saturday-tuesday)

Any other tips about that area? Other trails we should hit? Something around there we should drive to check out?

Or, if Dupont is over rated, where else you would suggest we go?

Thanks in advance

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Dupont is an excellent place to ride.

Cascade Lake Campground is very nice, but I'm not sure what they'll have available for the holday weekend. I have never stayed at Ultimate Ride Campground, but the consensus here is that it should be avoided at all costs.

Camping in or near Brevard/Dupont will put you in a great spot to hit some great Pisgah trails as well.

Also note the Mountain Sports Festival is happening in Asheville and definitely worth checking out. There is a low-key & very fun mountain bike race happening Friday night.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    I stayed at ultimate ride last yearand had no problems whatsoever ignore the grumps

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    thanks, I think we're gonna do some paddling at Lake James in addition to Dupont.

Any resources for dupont you can offer, or suggestions for good rides? I read there are watefalls and slickrock, etc.

I found this map, (https://dupontforest.com/images/2007FODFMapFront.jpg) but theres a lot of stuff on it, with two possible full days, it would be nice to have some good loop recommendations.

mtbr member
    Look HERE (Pisgah Area sorba) for Dupont ride suggestions/ruotes
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Great, thank you.

For those of you who've been here, a hardtail will be adequate? I'm not adverse to renting a full susp but unless it'll make it a lot better, I'd rather save the money.

mtbr member

Buff...

For the most part it is very fast,buff and flowy. I would not hesitate riding a cyclocross bike at Dupont.
    Hardtails are great there...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Cool, what about some of the pisgah trails?

Members who have read this thread: 0