Maximizing the Dupont experience- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Maximizing the Dupont experience

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27075145

In late September I am hosting about 22 friends from across the country. We are going to situate ourselves in the Brevard/dupont area for good riding and beer. I am stoked to show the folks Dupont but have not been there in 4 years. Does the above link seem to capture enough yahoo-fun riding? Not everyone will be able to hit the whole thing so I am having a shittle van pick folks up part way through.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    looks like that route has everything covered

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    How many days do you have? That route has a lot of good stuff but theres a more efficient way to hit up all the good stuff at Dupont unless you just want to make it one 30 mile ride in the saddle which is great.

Also, just sayin, if I had 22 friends from all over the country in the Brevard area and wanted to showcase some trails, I'd be at Black Mountain/anything at Pisgah, and Kitsuma

10,000,000 Watts
    Perhaps a donation to pisgahareasorba would be a cool gesture. Obviously not mandatory, but solid.
    Why is my power bill so high?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
    Perhaps a donation to pisgahareasorba would be a cool gesture. Obviously not mandatory, but solid.
    Good idea. Any idea how much places like the Hub, Sycamore and Squatch donate to pisgahareasorba or what work they do for trail maintenance? It looks like they rent tons of bikes to people riding in the area.
    It is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it

10,000,000 Watts
    I have no idea, but would hope a ton. What if itís terribly wet? Trip off? By all means enjoy your riding but please be sensible.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks all. The ride info is appreciated. We are riding 3 total days with 1 on the south side of 276, one day at Dupont, and then an epic ride from North mills to Brevard (yes, hitting Black MTN). We have the other rides sorted but Dupont is tricky.

As for the other stuff, no, we won't ride in the slop. I guess people do come from out from out of town and do that but we have options for gravel and for hitting other sights sans bikes. As far as a donations, If my friends want to they can. I am a Sorba member and the total cost of the trip is in the 10K range with house rentals, passenger van, meals in Brevard and Asheville, Bike rentals, food and kegs at the houses, and hiring a Bluegrass band. I'll bring it up but won't push it.

Again, thanks for the responses. I will use the attached route.

10,000,000 Watts
    That sounds fun as hell! Enjoy your time, just donít lose shoes in the river crossing. Been there, done that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
    That sounds fun as hell! Enjoy your time, just donít lose shoes in the river crossing. Been there, done that.
    Ha! We had a nice crew there about 6 years ago and one of use was a Gen-U-ine rocket scientist. He KNOWS trajectory stuff. He tossed his shoes across an missed by at least 10 meters. We all looked at his stunned as he raced down the river banks after his shoes.

mtbr member
    The best way to maximize the Dupont Experience is to go to Pisgah and ride trails that are actually fun....
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot2001 View Post
    As for the other stuff, no, we won't ride in the slop.
    Don't get discouraged by the posts here, if it gets wet then there are plenty of trails to ride that handle it just fine unless it's been an absolute washout or major series of freeze/thaws. I doubt you'll have either problem that time of year, but don't assume that because it rained in the last 24 hours that you can't ride like in other places.

Most of DuPont will soak stuff up like a sponge until it doesn't, then it just gets sloppy and gross, but it takes a while to get to that point. The trails like Reasonover, Mine Mountain, and Airstrip seem particularly sensitive, but the more common routes people do at the start of the forest hold up better.

Most of Pisgah will drain well, although trails like Daniel's Ridge, Avery Creek, Trace Ridge, Farlow, and Pilot will be a bit more appropriate if it's really that wet out.

mtbr member
    Thanks all. The ride info is appreciated. We are riding 3 total days with 1 on the south side of 276, one day at Dupont, and then an epic ride from North mills to Brevard (yes, hitting Black MTN). We have the other rides sorted but Dupont is tricky.

As for the other stuff, no, we won't ride in the slop. I guess people do come from out from out of town and do that but we have options for gravel and for hitting other sights sans bikes. As far as a donations, If my friends want to they can. I am a Sorba member and the total cost of the trip is in the 10K range with house rentals, passenger van, meals in Brevard and Asheville, Bike rentals, food and kegs at the houses, and hiring a Bluegrass band. I'll bring it up but won't push it.

Again, thanks for the responses. I will use the attached route.
    That sounds like a great trip and you guys/gals will have a great time. I find the parts of Dupont on rock are very ridable when wet and there are lots of options for gravel and fire road climbs in both Pisgah and Dupont if the weather is bad.

Wish I was one of your friends. Have fun!
    Last edited by Vespasianus; 08-23-2018 at 10:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    Most of Pisgah will drain well, although trails like Daniel's Ridge, Avery Creek, Trace Ridge, Farlow, and Pilot will be a bit more appropriate if it's really that wet out.
    There was a point in the not-so-distant past that Trace Ridge wasn't an erosion gully.

10,000,000 Watts
    Ha! We had a nice crew there about 6 years ago and one of use was a Gen-U-ine rocket scientist. He KNOWS trajectory stuff. He tossed his shoes across an missed by at least 10 meters. We all looked at his stunned as he raced down the river banks after his shoes.
    I waded a 1/4 mile down the stream waste deep to find mine. Broke my toe in the process, but found shoe and the riding commenced! Beer tasted extra special that morning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    That sounds like a great trip and you guys/gals will have a great time. I find the parts of Dupont on rock are very ridable when went and there is lots of option for gravel and fire road climbs in both Pisgah and Dupont if the weather is bad.

Wish I was one of your friends. Have fun!
    Word!

Are all of you reasonably close as far as fitness goes? If not then splitting the group may be a good idea to keep the stronger riders from having to wait too long and weaker ones feeling like they're holding up the others.
    Good luck.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    Word!

Are all of you reasonably close as far as fitness goes? If not then splitting the group may be a good idea to keep the stronger riders from having to wait too long and weaker ones feeling like they're holding up the others.
    Good luck.
    To make sure everyone keeps the pace, head to Oscar Blues after the ride. Last one back picks up the tab!
    Last edited by Vespasianus; 08-24-2018 at 04:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    Word!

Good luck.
    We have a fairly wide range of skills and fitness ranging from belt buckles at Leadville to the-belly-hits-the-toptube. We will all start together on the West side of Dupont, hit all the cool views and slickrock stuff, then have the van pick the slower folks up when the trail nears the road. The rest of us will go ballers on the rest of the trails and have the van pick us up.

Big Mac
    We have a fairly wide range of skills and fitness ranging from belt buckles at Leadville to the-belly-hits-the-toptube. We will all start together on the West side of Dupont, hit all the cool views and slickrock stuff, then have the van pick the slower folks up when the trail nears the road. The rest of us will go ballers on the rest of the trails and have the van pick us up.
    Lol! Belt buckles to bellies. Sounds like yíall pretty well got it figured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    My preference for handling the river crossing at dupont is to carry an extra pair of socks specifically for it. Cheap cotton socks grip the rock pretty well. Tie shoelaces of shoes together, sling them over my shoulder, and walk the bike across (downstream from my body).

That way, when I'm across, I get to put dry-ish socks back on to ride, and I put the wet ones in a mesh pocket, or tie them to a pack strap, or something like that so they can at least start drying off.

10,000,000 Watts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    My preference for handling the river crossing at dupont is to carry an extra pair of socks specifically for it. Cheap cotton socks grip the rock pretty well. Tie shoelaces of shoes together, sling them over my shoulder, and walk the bike across (downstream from my body).

That way, when I'm across, I get to put dry-ish socks back on to ride, and I put the wet ones in a mesh pocket, or tie them to a pack strap, or something like that so they can at least start drying off.
    Yes, exactly what I did but tied them to my pack and the darn things came undone. Always wear another pair, hang my wet ones on trees or in rocks to dry for when I return. There are a few trees under the water downstream FYI. Helluva workout coming back up stream!