Map help- Mtbr.com

Thread: Map help

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Map help

I am thinking to go ride for the first time trails at Mills River Area, unfortunately I haven't find anybody to go ride with me.

Couple weeks ago I went to DSF for the first time and I had a blast; the first day I rode it by myself (using their map), the second day in the afternoon I meet some locals and they took me some pretty cool trails, obviously I didn't need the map then.

Right now I want to go ride at Mills River Area but I can't find a good map and I don't want to go there without a good map and by myself.

Does anybody knows where can i find a good map for this area/trails?

Thank you

paintbucket
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member
    National Geographic Trails Illustrated Map #780 - Pisgah Ranger District. It's for sale in every bike or outdoor store in the area.
    many gears, some pies

pronounced may-duh
    get the 780 map.

try this route

or

this one

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Just a FYI the trails are just a bit overgrown as the area hasn't seen much use this summer due to the road closure. The fields in Fletcher Creek were pretty bad earlier this summer, but with the heat have died back a bit so you can see the trail bed. Middle Fork clearings are heavily overgrown. Just take your time through these areas and you shouldn't lose the trail.

pronounced may-duh
    is FS 5000 still closed?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Was last week, haven't been up there this week. Doesn't look like anything is happening repair wise at the moment. I kind of like it this way; reminds me of growing up and riding N. Mills in the early to mid 90's. Can ride all the trails and not see another person. Less horse nuggets to dodge as well.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    fyi- do not try pilot cove to sasifras> laurel (this part was fun) on a bike- did not go over too well for me a few weeks ago

stay on the trails!

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    is FS 5000 still closed?
    Still closed from NMR to Bear Branch, but yes, open from the BC side. It's easy to forget you still need to share it with cars as you climb up to the parkway.

This also means the horse folk have taken over the base of Bear Branch (singletrack) on the weekends -- I know b/c their version of "share the trails" seems to include letting their horses roam onto the trail w/o tethering. "He ain't hurtin' no one" ... except that I couldn't get past. Oh, well.

Spencer and Trace are riding spectacularly right now, and Bear Branch is fun, though the doubletrack is getting pretty overgrown.

mtbr member
    Find a group to avoid riding in remote areas solo. If you fall, no one will hear you. Cell phone coverage is spotty at best. N. Mills has some tech to it, it's nothing like DuPont. Still if you insist, get the Nat. Geographic map like others have said, N. Mills isn't hard to navigate but if you don't know it you could make a wrong turn into wilderness land. (Not literally, but you know).

Also if you haven't already, ride Bent Creek, much more conducive for solo trips as it's much less remote - also a good primer for N. Mills (more so than DuPont).
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Take your time, ride within your limits, and don't be afraid to hoof it in tech sections when you're alone. There's always a risk when you're in the woods alone, do what you can to minimize that risk and mentally prepare for contingency plans if things go pear shaped. Always let someone responsible know your planned route, departure and when you plan to be back (give yourself some leeway here in case of mechanicals).

With the Nat. Geographic map and minimal abilities to follow directions you won't get lost in N. Mills as the trails are all marked and well blazed. Bent Creek is a good suggestion if you're not comfortable alone in a more remote section of the forest.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thank you very much for the information and also for the advises. I haven't ride Bent Creek yet, so I'll follow your advise and change my plans to ride Ben Creek first, I am sure I am going to come back to ride around the area later on.

Again, thanks for the help.

pronounced may-duh
    don't use the 780 map for bent creek

There is a special BC map you can get at a local bike shop.

Members who have read this thread: 0