Many Thanks- Mtbr.com

Thread: Many Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Many Thanks

Thanks to all of you who helped me out after a wicked crash on Greens Lick last Friday. Katie, thanks for saving me from the copperheads and riding all the way back to Rice Pinnacle to call 911. Wilhelm and Jody, thanks for keeping me alert and sitting with me for all that time. Tom and Dave, thanks for helping John and the EMT's lift my heavy, incapacitated arse. John, thanks for taking care of my bike and providing excellent medical care. Turns out I only had two broken ankle bones and a broken fibula!
    Again, thanks so much to each of you.

mtbr member
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
    IT'S CRACKERS TO SLIP A ROZZER THE DROPSY IN SNIDE

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    I went down Greens Lick on Saturday morning and the Fire Rescue guys were there removing the tree that blocked the path...

I thanked them and they said that I should thank the guy that wrecked up there. I am guessing that was you!

It sucks that you went down and so hard at that! I hope you feel better soon and to see you on the trail.
    Fat-n00b

KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.

mtbr member
    Nothing like being the first rider to encounter a downed tree! I did recently on the Biltmore Estate on the Arbor Trace extension and narrowly got stopped in time. On Greens Lick I have never seen a trail hazard thank God at those speeds.

Having a beer for you and wishing you a quick recovery!

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    What happened? You wadded up into a downed tree and there were snakes involved? Sounds like a nightnare.
    I'm just coming back from a broken fibula myself (motorcycle) so I feel ya bro, best of luck with the healing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    No. I didn't get tangled or anything. In fact, I simply lost control on that flat section (ridiculous) of GL just before the little downed tree that has been there for a long time (after the steep water bars and berms). After the spill I spent about 1 1/2 hours waiting for the next rider (Katie), which was unusual considering it was a really nice Friday afternoon. It took about 15 minutes to become oriented enough to realize that I couldn't allow myself to go into shock as there were a couple of copperheads nearby. One was only a few feet away. They weren't doing anything, but they probably helped me stay alert.

mtbr member
    The fire boyz were likely removing the tree so it'd be easier to get their equipment through next time.
    Sorry to hear about that.
    Strongly recommend Southeastern Sports Medicine.

mtbr member
    Unbelievable!!! I'm glad you survived. If I'd spent 1 1/2 hours next to 2 copperheads w/ my legs broken, I'd be recovering in the mental hospital right now.

Is that two different bones in the same ankle, or did you break something in both legs? I broke tib and fib right at the ankle on Mo Heinous back in the days before Greenslick, but the worst wildlife I had a deal w/ waiting on help was one of my crazy friends who wanted to lash a stick to my leg.

Good luck with that! It's gonna suck. I hope you only have one broken leg, crutches aren't that bad, I can only imagine how crappy a wheelchair would be.

If you need surgery (and haven't had it already) William McKibbon did my leg in June '99 and I was riding by October and ran my first 10k the next April. I know people who have lost some capacity to ride/run w/ similar destruction near the ankle joint, so I recommend him highly.

Enjoy the off season ;-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    whoa, I remember your injuries from when you first started riding, remember the boulder at Alexander that you tried to ride over?

Speedy recovery.

PS, I'm pretty sure the copperheads were in scared of you and in shock!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Fortunately, just one leg!

Gabe.....
    Healing vibes your way...........may your recovery and rehab go well.
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

That's Special

go figure

It's crazy, but you and I have been riding those trails together for years and just when you think you know them they come back and bite. Want to do squirrel turkey next weekend, oh wait, my bad....

WNC Native
    jhemp- Best wishes on a speedy recovery and don't worry your not alone. I went down on Ridgeline a couple of weeks ago, on one of the simplest sections of it. Never would have imagined wrecking there, little alone getting seriously injured.
    Splintered my clavical, shattered my scapula, broke the lower section of the glenoid off and don't even have a cool story to go along with it. Couple of plates and 9 screws later, I'm rehabbing and looking forward to the end of November (hopefully winter will let me get in some rides before it gets nasty).
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Official Cooler Inspector
    All the above. ^ ^ ^

My epic injuries are ancient history here, so I'll just recommend one awesome recovery item: Walker.

You can attach water bottle cages, hang a carry-all bag(s), use it in the shower, prop your leg, sit on it and gain some nice upper body strength. It will also get you a lot more "public sympathy" than crutches.

Get your doctor to prescribe a handicap placard from the DMV - they will not give you one without that piece of paper. Don't park in a space without it! Very complicated and expensive ticket to get out of.

Manual chairs are much cooler than electric ones. Nothing like flying around the aisles at a big warehouse store to give you an empowering attitude adjustment!
    Last edited by M-U-M; 08-30-2010 at 04:49 PM.
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Healing vibes your way.

Stay positive and focused on returning stronger.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    good grief nitrousjunky. best wishes with your recovery as well. looks like we've got about the same recovery time, although you collected a bit more metal than i did.

we definitely need to embellish things a bit as we each need a better story. i didn't really just fall off of my bike on a flat section of trail at a low to moderate speed....i was actually doing helicopter shuttles on GL and dropping in from just above the tree-line when i made a slight miscalculation.......

mtbr member
    MUM, I will NEVER forget that picture you posted w/ the walker and the caption "does this walker make me look fat?" hilarious.

I second the handicapped tag. My grandmother loaned me hers, but it's probably safer to get your own. When you can't ride (or bring a bowl of ice cream from the kitchen to the TV chair by yourself) you have to enjoy the little things. Awesome downtown parking spaces are a perk!

I also second the fun of a wheelchair at walmart, but I like the electric ones because of the way the beep when you back up...into stuff.

Single Speed Junkie
    Jan 2008
    Sorry to hear about your injuries guys. Sometimes I think they should have left the Betty and Mo Heinous alone...

My broken collarbone over the summer helped me enjoy watching my wife mow the grass while I sat with a cold drink!

Good luck getting all healed up.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Quote Originally Posted by jhemp
    Wilhelm and Jody, thanks for keeping me alert and sitting with me for all that time.

Small world, we just happened to run into the Grabowski's at Fontana this weekend and heard the whole story.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Speedy Recovery

I wish you a speedy recovery.

I was in G.L that same day, probably a couple of hours earlier with my father in law and an out of town friend, it was fun. The trail could definitely use some maintenance.

We usually go on long, difficult, remote rides. Some people think that I'm a nut but, I always carry an EPIRB (Satellite + GPS) transmitter in my backpack. You never know when you going to need it. Even if you are well acompanied, getting out of a dire situation in a brisk might not always be easy.

For those interested, my experience with Spot device was not great, transmittion is spotty at best, specially in wooded areas. I highly recommend a compact EPIRB with a GPS.

I wish I had been behind you, I would might have been able to help.

Be safe!

banned
    I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Members who have read this thread: 0