Lower Trace condition?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Lower Trace condition?

I know some folks did work on it earlier this year. What's the status at this point? And where does it drop u at the bottom - NMills camp area?

mtbr member

Lower Trace condition?

Really, nothin'? Quiet up in here...

mtbr member
    Dunno if its open but it starts about 100yds down Wash Creek and ends the same place as the old Lower Trace right before the creek. I walked it a few weeks ago and it looks close to done. Maybe some folks from PAS will enlighten us to whether its closed or ready to shred.
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by swoodbrn View Post
    Really, nothin'? Quiet up in here...
    Uhh - it's Christmas Eve. Some people (not me) may have better things to do tonight.

Merry Christmas y'all!
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member

Lower Trace condition?

Wah? Conjecture about trail conditions for pending rides - all part of holiday bliss. I'll check it and report out.

mtbr member
    Officially LTR is still under construction but it is very close to being open. After the last big PAS/REI(and the help of a skilled mini-x operator) workday we were able to get 90% of the tread work done. We could have it finished next weekend but collectively decided to leave it closed until spring so all the new tread work would have some time to settle in over the winter. Not so concerned with foot traffic and bike tires but since this is going to be a very popular trail for horses the tread needs to be as firm as possible once it is open for use.

Can't tell you how excited I am to get this project finished and opened up. 2 years is a long time to build a 1 mile worth of trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Snototter View Post
    Can't tell you how excited I am to get this project finished and opened up. 2 years is a long time to build a 1 mile worth of trail.
    You guys are awesome, wish I'd been able to contribute more but I'm glad to hear it's coming closer. My daughter had some trouble HIKING lower trace a couple of weeks ago, she thought I was crazy-talking when I said people rode it. (granted, she's only 5).

Anyway...so some machine work happened on it? I thought this was everyone's chance to show just how much awesomer hand-built trail can be!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbwnc View Post

Anyway...so some machine work happened on it? I thought this was everyone's chance to show just how much awesomer hand-built trail can be!

Haha, yes the hand built only purist never showed up in numbers that counted. The ones that did quickly realized how frigging difficult it is to bench cut a full 4' wide tread on a ridiculously steep sidehill in the wilds of Pisgah. Digging thru the roots of all the rhodo groves broke all of our spirits at one point or another. We did manage to hand cut approximately half a mile by hand though. This took us almost 18 months of volunteer work to do. With the terrain getting more difficult and volunteer enthusiasm almost gone we decided to get things moving along. I personally did not want to commit another 18 months of my time or any other volunteers time to continue the hand digging beat down so we made a huge push to get the rest done with a machine and then do the finish work by hand.

Part of me is bummed that we did not get to finish the whole thing by hand. That being said if we had a machine from day one we would have been riding it within a month or two of them breaking ground (Nov. 2012).

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Snototter View Post
    Part of me is bummed that we did not get to finish the whole thing by hand. That being said if we had a machine from day one we would have been riding it within a month or two of them breaking ground (Nov. 2012).
    There's a lesson in there somewhere...

I'ma save this to link to the next time someone in here whines about machine-"groomed" trails.