Lower Avery Creek No Bikes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Lower Avery Creek No Bikes?

I swear there was never a 'No Bikes' sticker on the Carsonite marker on the lower Avery Creek trail entrance on 477. Am I wrong? What's the deal?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    My old edition of the Pisgah mapping co map for that area shows it as hike/bike, and I've ridden that trail in the past. Might be worth calling the USFS office about that for clarification. It does look like some of the stickers are newer.

mtbr member
    All my maps show it as hike and bike. I think someone put it there.

mtbr member
    Shenanigans

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    Shenanigans
    Well now I'm not sure which trails are or aren't open to bikes.

Big Mac
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think the markers indicating "no", are an entirely different sticker, and not just a red line sticker on top of an "allowed" sticker.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think the markers indicating "no", are an entirely different sticker, and not just a red line sticker on top of an "allowed" sticker.
    Right. Notice how many of the stickers on the Avery Creek post have slightly different "formatting" than the ones on the Clawhammer Cove post. Not suprised there are some shenanigans. Anyone can buy those stickers online.

Lower Avery Creek No Bikes?-dscf2156.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    I swear there was never a 'No Bikes' sticker on the Carsonite marker on the lower Avery Creek trail entrance on 477. Am I wrong? What's the deal?

They wouldn't have a right of way reminder sticker on the trail marker if only one form of travel was allowed on the trail

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by wytemike21 View Post
    They wouldn't have a right of way reminder sticker on the trail marker if only one form of travel was allowed on the trail

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Wrong sign. That sign is for clawhammer cove, which is closed to bikes.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Right. Notice how many of the stickers on the Avery Creek post have slightly different "formatting" than the ones on the Clawhammer Cove post. Not suprised there are some shenanigans. Anyone can buy those stickers online.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2156.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	1154385
    Yup, notice the mountains on the Avery creek version. That sticker is placed atop another, also. AND, the other end of Lower Avery is marked as open to bikes, and that's how I always ride it, so I'm good. Maybe they want it directional?

since 4/10/2009
    Yup, notice the mountains on the Avery creek version. That sticker is placed atop another, also. AND, the other end of Lower Avery is marked as open to bikes, and that's how I always ride it, so I'm good. Maybe they want it directional?
    yeah, I've only ever ridden it downhill. wouldn't want to try climbing that chunder at the top of avery creek, that's for sure.

Big Mac
    yeah, I've only ever ridden it downhill. wouldn't want to try climbing that chunder at the top of avery creek, that's for sure.
    Avery creek splits at the bottom into upper and lower, leftish or rightish if you've come down from the top. Lower Avery comes out a little further down the road, towards the stables, which is where this signage is.

since 4/10/2009
    Avery creek splits at the bottom into upper and lower, leftish or rightish if you've come down from the top. Lower Avery comes out a little further down the road, towards the stables, which is where this signage is.
    You mean Buckhorn Gap? I like to climb Buckhorn Gap.

Big Mac
    You mean Buckhorn Gap? I like to climb Buckhorn Gap.
    Nope. When Avery creek flattens out, along the creek, you can turn left (coming from the top) onto lower Avery creek. It's signed. At this point you're on river left, closer to the creek. A few decent swimming holes there.

since 4/10/2009
    Nope. When Avery creek flattens out, along the creek, you can turn left (coming from the top) onto lower Avery creek. It's signed. At this point you're on river left, closer to the creek. A few decent swimming holes there.
    I see what you're saying, and comparing it to my map as well as mtbproject. So MTBProject says "Avery Creek" keeps right to head to the road first/higher. It has no trail that keeps left, but the OSM basemap does. That trail links up with another (also not on mtbproject). The map I have, which is a copy of the Pisgah Mapping Co map, and has always matched up with the signs when I've ridden there, shows the trail that keeps right labeled as Buckhorn Gap (FS 103) and the one that keeps left as Avery Creek (FS 327).

This is where the trail labeled as Buckhorn Gap intersects with Avery Creek Rd. I was hoping I had the trail marker in the pic, but when I posted this on FB in 2015, I called it Buckhorn Gap. It starts as a drop-in down to Avery Creek where it intersects with Avery Creek Trail and then climbs back up to Clawhammer Rd.

Lower Avery Creek No Bikes?-pisgah_buckhorn.jpg

Did stuff get renamed after I last rode here in 2015? 'cause my map is not agreeing with mtbproject on trail names at this point. Do the signs agree with mtbproject now?

FWIW, Trailforks shows the trail names as agreeing with my map.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Name:	DSCF2156.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	1154385
    Since when has there been no roller blading on Black Mountain? I've been rollerblading that for years.

Big Mac
    I see what you're saying, and comparing it to my map as well as mtbproject. So MTBProject says "Avery Creek" keeps right to head to the road first/higher. It has no trail that keeps left, but the OSM basemap does. That trail links up with another (also not on mtbproject). The map I have, which is a copy of the Pisgah Mapping Co map, and has always matched up with the signs when I've ridden there, shows the trail that keeps right labeled as Buckhorn Gap (FS 103) and the one that keeps left as Avery Creek (FS 327).

This is where the trail labeled as Buckhorn Gap intersects with Avery Creek Rd. I was hoping I had the trail marker in the pic, but when I posted this on FB in 2015, I called it Buckhorn Gap. It starts as a drop-in down to Avery Creek where it intersects with Avery Creek Trail and then climbs back up to Clawhammer Rd.

Name:	pisgah_buckhorn.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	206.3 KB 
ID:	1154859

Did stuff get renamed after I last rode here in 2015? 'cause my map is not agreeing with mtbproject on trail names at this point. Do the signs agree with mtbproject now?

FWIW, Trailforks shows the trail names as agreeing with my map.
    Well, I'm old school and don't use any of the tech you mentioned, but I think you're right. I haven't even used a map in pisgah for many years, but my old nat geo map shows the right fork (103) as buckhorn gap, which I've always referred to as twin falls, (the uphill side) and the left fork (327) as Avery creek, which I've always referred to as upper Avery. The map doesn't show it, but it's more of hard left than it appears. Just that make any sense, or is it just confusing as hell?

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by ohkeepah View Post
    Since when has there been no roller blading on Black Mountain? I've been rollerblading that for years.
    Forever, but it's not enforced. One of the buckhorn gap signs, on the downhill side of the section going up to black mountain has a "cars not recommended" sticker.

since 4/10/2009
    Well, I'm old school and don't use any of the tech you mentioned, but I think you're right. I haven't even used a map in pisgah for many years, but my old nat geo map shows the right fork (103) as buckhorn gap, which I've always referred to as twin falls, (the uphill side) and the left fork (327) as Avery creek, which I've always referred to as upper Avery. The map doesn't show it, but it's more of hard left than it appears. Just that make any sense, or is it just confusing as hell?
    Yeah, I think I remember it being a harder left than the map shows. Good to know about the swimming holes, though. Never thoughtabout swimming

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Forever, but it's not enforced. One of the buckhorn gap signs, on the downhill side of the section going up to black mountain has a "cars not recommended" sticker.
    Nice.

mtbr member
    Yeah, it's just confusing as hell. You can look at a map, but when you're there trying to sort it out the first few times it's a mess.