Lost dog- Mtbr.com

Thread: Lost dog

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Lost dog

Hey everyone - I was backpacking on the foothills trail between Sassafras Mountain and table rock state park Saturday morning. Somewhere around Emory Gap, a biker came up behind us and rode one through. I know bikers aren't supposed to be on the Foothills trail, but I dont really care about that at this point. For some reason, my dog took off after him maybe 3-5 minutes after that. We tried to chase her down, but didn't have any luck. We were able to follow bike tracks and dog prints all the way to Pinnacle mountain (~2 miles), but started to lose it there. We never saw the biker again, and don't know where he turned off. We were yelling and blowing a whistle for 2 hours, until we lost the trail - no response from the dog or biker. We continued hiking through to Table Rock State Park, and didn't see any sign of either of them. We drove back around to the top of Sassafras, hacked back in again, retracing the dog/bike prints, and lost it about the same place as the first time. We camped at there base of Pinnacle, where there appears to be a spur down towards HWY 11 and the Palmetto trail, but it went off my map at that point. No sign of either of them, we hiked back out to the top of Sassafras and drove the roads (Sassafras mtn road/178/11/inside Table rock state park), with no luck.

Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated- especially if that biker is on these forums and he can tell me where he turned out, so we can go look around there. If anyone else is familiar with where bikers might enter/exit the foothills trail between HWY 178 and Table Rock State park, that would help as well. Finally, if anyone is planning on being out there anytime soon, please keep an eye out for her and leash her up if you see here.

She is a black and tan coonhound, super friendly, loves people and other dogs. Really loves food, so I am sure that would work to bring her in if you spot her. She has on a tan collar that has all of my contact information on it, and is wearing a bright orange clemson bandanna. See below for a few pictures:
    THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    UPDATE- - We found her! Thanks to anyone who was on the lookout.
    Maple made her way down the mountain and over to the Rock at Jocassee Golf course! I don't know how she made it there, but it was 6+miles of backwoods from where we lost her.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Great news swingm3. She's a fine looking coonhound.
    2019 Rocky Mountain Altitude C70 Custom
    2018 Pivot Mach 5.5 Custom
    2018 Orange Alpine 6 Custom
    2017 Knolly Warden Custom

mtbr member
    Love how this turned out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Awesome, glad you found her.....or she found you.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Glad you found your buddy!

mtbr member
    Man, good job putting the energy out to find your dog. I've been there; not to sound like the hippie that I am, but it's all about making the effort and sending it out there that she's going to be found.
    Serendipity happens.

Big Mac

Lost dog

Everybody likes a happy ending. Kudos.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    glad to hear this turned out well.