Looking for Heartbreak- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Looking for Heartbreak

Not the kind they sing about, but the trail. I did it a few years ago from the Black Mtn side and want to do an ORAMM preview ride sometime in the next week or 2 to figure out if entering would just be stupid (which I can deal with) or suicide (which I would prefer to avoid). If you go up Curtis Creek Rd. and turn left on the BRP, is the entrance to Heartbreak marked at all? Anybody have any pics of the trailhead?
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

When did you get here?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike
    Not the kind they sing about, but the trail. I did it a few years ago from the Black Mtn side and want to do an ORAMM preview ride sometime in the next week or 2 to figure out if entering would just be stupid (which I can deal with) or suicide (which I would prefer to avoid). If you go up Curtis Creek Rd. and turn left on the BRP, is the entrance to Heartbreak marked at all? Anybody have any pics of the trailhead?
    There is a trailsign for Heartbreak on the parkway AND it's right past a mile marker. Anyone remember the number?

Just remember to not miss the right after the left after you get to the field.... I love heartbreaker. I h8 giving directions for heartbreaker.
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

rob
    slakDawg
    I've used this map before with success. YMMV. And I *think* the mile marker is 353.
    Attached Images Attached Images

29er zealot
    The trail does start right after milepost 353. If you want to make the descent a little longer, you can continue climbing on the BRP to a gravel road on the left. The beginning of the descent from this area (old toll road) is rocky/steep/sketchy....but fun

When are you planning on going? If you would like someone to ride with as a guide I'd be glad to show you around. Let me know....

mtbr member
    I was actually thinking about going this Saturday. I should be recovered from the other Assault by then. Haven't touched a bike since last Monday, but plan on doing a couple of short rides this week. I have a couple of other guys who are thinking about riding it as well.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike
    I was actually thinking about going this Saturday. I should be recovered from the other Assault by then. Haven't touched a bike since last Monday, but plan on doing a couple of short rides this week. I have a couple of other guys who are thinking about riding it as well.
    Does anyone know the total mileage and elevation for this loop (Curtis Creek - Parkway - Heartbreak) starting from the Geyser or Picnic Area?

We're riding Heartbreak fri (weather dependent) via the toll rd if anyone is interested..

29er zealot
    I did the ride a few weeks ago from the picnic area, here is the blog entry with GPS stats

Blog Entry

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by froth14
    I did the ride a few weeks ago from the picnic area, here is the blog entry with GPS stats

Blog Entry
    Wow, 43 miles! That's twice the distance of the other route

29er zealot
    when doing the ride, we wandered around a bit up on the BRP looking for the hike-a-bike entrance to Heartbreak. We ended up riding over to the top of the toll road to start at the very top of heartbreak. Realistically, the ride would be about maybe 38 or so miles.

Members who have read this thread: 0