Looking to buy or borrow a hitch rack.- Mtbr.com

Apr 2007

Looking to buy or borrow a hitch rack.

I've got a shiny new hitch on the Prius and it's itching to haul something. I'm not ready to dive into buying a new high dollar hitch rack yet, but I have a road trip to Indiana planned for Labor Day weekend and I'm bringing 2 bikes so I need to get something.

Does anyone have an under utilized rack laying around that I may ideally be able to borrow for that weekend (I could put my kid up for colateral) or one you're looking to sell? I'd prefer one of the types that the bike rests on it's tires as opposed to hangs and one for two bikes is plenty big for the car.

Thanks. BTW, I'm in Asheville and work in Hendersonville.

~Shaun

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    What size receiver? If it's 2" I have a Yakima hitch rack that carries up to 4 bikes you can borrow. It is not the tray type that grabs the wheels though.

mtbr member
    converters are available for the 2" => 1 1/12" problem

I got one like this at Reese Trailer Sales in Mills River. You can find similar at most any trailer hitch store.

many gears, some pies

Apr 2007
    I may have to go that route because I have a 1 1/4" receiver. Probably would've had to trim the "bumper" if I went with the 2".

Drew, I may take you up on that. Thanks! If you're going to be out at Dirty Thursday this week, could you bring it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    here is mine i have for sale on clist. 240 is cool.
    http://asheville.craigslist.org/bik/1157372913.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Hitch rack

I have a saris cycle-on that is like you described and a adapter for your hitch I would sell it for $200 and you can keep it or I will buy it back after you trip for $150. Mark 828 777 6772

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    hmmmm.... Mark I am interested in your rack. PM sent.

Shaun, sorry not going to make DT have to work. I am OOT this weekend but we can meet up sometime next week or you can buy Mark's rack and then I can get it from you. I need to track down the receiver pin for that rack as well. Last time I used it I had to borrow one from a buddy.

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gtdrew
    hmmmm.... Mark I am interested in your rack. PM sent.

Shaun, sorry not going to make DT have to work. I am OOT this weekend but we can meet up sometime next week or you can buy Mark's rack and then I can get it from you. I need to track down the receiver pin for that rack as well. Last time I used it I had to borrow one from a buddy.
    Hey Drew...I called Mark and we're going to try to meet up before DT tonight. I'll let you know how it works out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Right on. I will buy it off you if you don't want to keep it. It would be perfect for the road trip this summer. Thanks. Hope yall get some good work done.

Members who have read this thread: 0