Looking to build a new bike.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Looking to build a new bike.

I am looking to build a new bike. Not because I need one I just want another bike I like bikes. I currently have a 2015 Camber EVO and a 2016 Salsa Carbon Bucksaw.
    Me: 6'3 195lbs definitely want to hear from other Clydesdales for a bike fit perspective.
    Must haves:
    Boutique Models Only: Yeti, Pivot, SantaCruz etc... SB4.5, Hightower models
    Good climber and descender, I like technical climbs and descents, I don't do much bombing downhill, I don't jump or do drops much cause I don't know how. been trying though.
    Travel: more than 120mm but less than 150mm
    29ers only
    Must be water bottle capable i ride without a pack
    Really only interested in the frame for geometry I have my components planned out already.
    components: shocks (fox) for this bike never had a fox fork.
    Where I currently ride: Sherman, Rocky River (aka Steve's), whitewater, Berm City, Uwharrie, Anglers Ridge, Claytor lake, Carvins Cove, Explore Park. I'm an adventurer the list will grow. I ride by myself 90% of the time and ride 3+ times a week.

My Current Bikes:
    Looking to build a new bike.-img_0598.jpgLooking to build a new bike.-20160716_103652.jpg
    :rockon: Camber Expert Carbon EVO :yesnod: Salsa Carbon Bucksaw :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Why do you only want a "boutique" model? Limiting yourself on a TON of really nice bikes out there by only wanting the big names.

Based on the trails you listed I wouldnt look for anything over a 120mm. Bikes with 130mm+ would be too much bike for 99% of those places. A good racey hardtail 29er would be the best weapon of choice for anything east of WNC in the Charlotte area.
    On your left!

mtbr member
    I have specialized and it's an excellent bike. She's not going anywhere. I bought the Salsa on whim saw it, liked it, bought it and had never rode it. Turned out to be a great bike love the split pivot. I want try some different non mainstream brands so no Specialized, Treks or Giants who are all great bike makers I should add. I can agree with more than 120 might be to much. I'm open to suggestions too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Wait till end of this month or next month. Evil is releasing the new following. It will be the best of all worlds for you looking at 29ers. Its a fast fun playful bike that can be pushed hard and rode thru anything as you begin to build confidence.

That being said I would stick away from the yeti as the 4.5c is more of what you would be looking for but it more fit for a "race bike" from a buddy who owned one. Another negative is the bottle is on the bottom of the bike and picks up mud and debris constantly.

Pivot makes probably some of my favorite bikes out right now so I could not point you away from them but would stay away from a switch blade as i heard it is super stiff and how you ride and were you ride doesnt fit that bike.

SantaCruz I would say a hightower would be a good fit but wont pedal as well as a yeti , pivot , or evil.

As for were you ride I would stay towards a pike or fox 36. I am a bigger guy at 205 lbs and can tell you the fox 34 felt like a poop for a bigger guy. It was very bouncy in all tuning to me. I even had it push tuned and ended up going back to a pike. The 36 felt great to me but i prefer a more linear fork and moved back to a pike.

Another super capable bike is the ibis ripley LS it will give you the pedal platform for your adventure and all day rides but give you the confidence to push like the following i believe.

I would say you couldnt go wrong with trying to demo a Devinci django 29er either. Its shorter travel bike but it is a boutique brand with a lifetime warranty. The geo looks alittle odd to me but it won bike of the year this year in bike mag.... Its worth a demo. Talk to billy goat bikes maybe they have one.

But judging where you ride and you wanting to get better at jumping I would point you to a evil following (new model will drop over the next month), hightower, or pivot mach 5.5 (if your willing to do 27.5) or an ibis ripley LS

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    You have two great FS bikes. Have you thought about a HT 27.5+ bike? Pretty much same diameter as 29er. They're a ton of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 2
    Cannondale CAAD12
    Niner RLT9
    Salsa Fargo
    Niner SIR9 27.5+
    Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Vlad,
    I'm with you on the love of building bikes for fun. Have you looked at the Ibis Ripley LS? There are 3 generations to choose from but all very similar. Look for closeout sales. Shortly water bottle space only in size large. Not sure about XL.

mtbr member
    Radred,
    I love the Ripley it is one of the bikes I was considering. There are some really great bike makers out there that I'm starting to discover. I unfortunately started riding late in life like 3 years ago. I just don't want anything mainstream a little bit of supporting the small guys and a lot of I like to be different.

mtbr member
    Guerilla Gravity The Smash just announced. I was just playing around on the custom builds. That raw color is slick.