Long flat ride road or off road for recovery near Asheville- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Long flat ride road or off road for recovery near Asheville

Where do you all ride for recovery/fat burning spinning in the Asheville area? I would like to find a bike path or greenway ideally, but a mellow mtn ride would be a bonus. I know about the flatter parts of Bent Creek, but I'd really like to spice it up. What do you all think?

mtbr member
    You don't usually see "flat" and Asheville in the same sentence. But you might check out the route they use for the Fletcher Flyer. It starts in Fletcher (duh) and meanders through the valleys around the Mills River area for 60 or 100 miles. It is supposed to be the flattest metric or century ride you can do in that area.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    That's a good start. I'll check that route out. I bet I can find something in that century's riding!

Those are my thoughts exactly, that you don't find any flat riding in this kind of terrain. Other mountain areas I've lived in (if you're lucky) had greenways along rivers that were mellow that you could go easy on, but I cannot find anything except for the hodgepodge greenway in SE Asheville that they are still planning. I figured I'd ask, though. For easy recovery, I've been riding the trainer (because anything even slightly hilly gets my heart rate sky high, I am so unfit), but it is pretty dull. Thanks again for that input, Mikey!

Official Cooler Inspector
    Check in here:

Asheville On Bikes

Better if you access it on Facial Book. There's several sections of the Hodgepodge Greenway you might not be aware of and more to come. Volunteer. I cut back briars for three hours today on a short non-paved section, so I feel very importantized.

Edit: If you want to add in going around in circles to your off road river ride, hit Carrier Park and spin the old race track:

RiverLink - Park Development

Another one that's better of Facial Book:

Asheville Cyclocross*|*
    Last edited by M-U-M; 03-10-2012 at 05:16 PM.
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gasface11 View Post
    Where do you all ride for recovery/fat burning spinning in the Asheville area? I would like to find a bike path or greenway ideally, but a mellow mtn ride would be a bonus. I know about the flatter parts of Bent Creek, but I'd really like to spice it up. What do you all think?
    Out and back to Marshall on River Rd. is the standard...roughly 35 miles round trip...

Black Mountain to Marshall and back is probably pushing 75 miles with less than 250 feet of climbing...

mtbr member
    That's what I was going to say. The TT course by the river near Marshall is the only flat I ever saw around here. i think I'd try to go there at a time of day when I thought construction vehicles would be at a minimum.

you could drive down to Traveler's Rest (northern part of G'ville SC county) and ride the swamp rabbit trail. About 26 miles out and back. 20 mph speed limit. totally flat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Pigeon River Valley near Canton

Come west from Asheville and ride the roads of the Pigeon River Valley just south of Canton. Here is a link to the cue sheet posted by the Blue Ridge Bicycle Club:
    http://www.blueridgebicycleclub.org/...valleyloop.pdf

This area is about as flat as it comes in western NC, and the traffic on the roads is generally light to moderate.

Members who have read this thread: 0