Local builder for steel frame mod sought- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Local builder for steel frame mod sought

I have an ancient steel frame with under chainstay u-brake that I am stripping for new powder coat. Want to take this chance to have v-brake bosses added to seat stays and a couple of cable guides on the top tube. Does anyone have a local builder to recommend? Seeking professionalism, timeliness, and economy.

I live in Highlands, NC so local for me means the area from Asheville, Brevard, Greenville, Anderson, ATL to Dahlonega

Thanks

Shane

mtbr member
    PFEIFFER FRAMES INC
    Address:
    727 CHURCH ST
    Central, South Carolina 29630

864) 654-6204

Call Pfeiffer and see if they are still in business (someone told me they weren't but someone else said they were). They did a mod for me a few years ago and I was very happy with it.

H8 H8 H8
    Quote Originally Posted by clearcreek
    I have an ancient steel frame with under chainstay u-brake that I am stripping for new powder coat. Want to take this chance to have v-brake bosses added to seat stays and a couple of cable guides on the top tube. Does anyone have a local builder to recommend? Seeking professionalism, timeliness, and economy.

I live in Highlands, NC so local for me means the area from Asheville, Brevard, Greenville, Anderson, ATL to Dahlonega

Thanks

Shane
    Steve Stickel, maybe. He added a derailleur hanger to a frame of mine and did a great job.
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

Gabe.....
    "Seeking professionalism, timeliness, and economy.".................Some people ask for soooooooooooo much. PM me if you want it done in Asheville this week for about $70. gabe
    Last edited by Smokebikes; 08-08-2010 at 04:41 PM.
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

mtbr member
    +1 for sir Gabe at Smokebikes.

Official Cooler Inspector
    So Smoke is still sponsored by Souper-Glue? Cool! I'm dropping off my porch chairs this week.

Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

Gabe.....
    Quote Originally Posted by M-U-M
    So Smoke is still sponsored by Souper-Glue? Cool! I'm dropping off my porch chairs this week.

MUM, I never know what you mean?????????????????
    No glue.....just good ole' fire and silver.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Official Cooler Inspector
    Multiple "???????????" - dude, it's been too long since you've seen my basement shop. I can knock the socks off that chihuahua.

Seriously, Mr. G has the skill. I wouldn't honor repairs to my antique patio furniture to anyone else.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

mtbr member
    For $70 bucks, Gabe wins!

The paint stripping/burning will take more than $70 off the builder's life

Lately, I'm only doing certain repairs, and I ask that the frame comes to me stripped. Stripping is unhealthy or expensive. Most repairs, done safely, are too expensive for folks.

Steve

Gabe.....
    It's like sitting in a wind tunnel in my shop when stripping paint and brazing steel...........I have an exhaust fan positioned directly over the project, though I'd say that one cannot be too safe when doing this kind of "work". I think it's time for another shop pic post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Local builder for steel frame mod sought-s5031211.jpg  

mtbr member
    I just filter everything with my lungs

Gabe.....

Fat Chance.......born again.

It was an honor to work on this piece of mountain biking history...........vintage mid eighties custom Fat Chance frame. What a beauty!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Local builder for steel frame mod sought-s5031217.jpg  

Local builder for steel frame mod sought-s5031224.jpg  

Local builder for steel frame mod sought-s5031223.jpg  

When did you get here?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokebikes
    It was an honor to work on this piece of mountain biking history...........vintage mid eighties custom Fat Chance frame. What a beauty!
    Oh dude..... I was going to make a smart-ass comment about how well that vent van has been used in the past, or something like that, but now I'm just drooling. Matter of fact, if the OP wants a hite-rite spring to go with the tab, I've got one for ya. No foolin'.
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Wicked Fat Rebirthing

Yes my '87 Wicked Fat Chance is now a Wicked Fat Smoke Bike. Had a really pleasant evening watching Gabe work. Arrived a his shop at approx 5:50 pm and watched him silver braze two v-brake bosses to the seat stays and two cable guides to the top tube and was out the door on my way back to Highlands by 7:00, home by 8:30. That's some timely, professional, and economical work! All the while keeping up a pleasant conversation about his process and mtb history in the area.

Thanks again Gabe,

Shane

Members who have read this thread: 0