linking Montreat to Kitsuma- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

linking Montreat to Kitsuma

So I'm headed up for the annual family reunion in Montreat this weekend. Looking forward to my usual Kitsuma ride. I feel fairly certain that there must be a way to ride from Montreat to somewhere on the Kitsuma loop (maybe linking up to Mill Creek Rd. or Graphite Rd. somewhere?). Can anyone offer up some straightforward directions for how to do this? Or am I just dreaming?

mtbr member
    Get the Montreat and RidgeCrest trail maps. RESPECT THE HIKING ONLY TRAILS IN MONTREAT!!

Using said maps, park at the Lookout trailhead in Montreat. Take the Rainbow Road>Old Toll Road> Rattlesnake trail. Drop RattleSnake into RidgeCrest, you will have to find your way through the RidgeCrest campus, they're pretty cool with bikers being on their property. Just follow paved roads down the hill- if you find yourself in a residential neighborhood, you're lost.

Eventually, this will put you less than a 1/3 mile from Kitsuma Trailhead.

After doing Kitsuma, you can either return on the road if worked (come up Flat Creek Road right to the stone gate) or reverse up Rattlesnake for the super fun descent down Old Toll>Rainbow.
    There's also some other more backwoods ways through RidgeCrest, but there's a lot of false turns. You can figure it out with the map (I did years ago) but you have to have a decent set of map reading and direction sense skills.

This all adds up to a pretty killer 3-4 hour ride- one my favorites. Be forewarned that if you opt for the return trip through RidgeCrest, the climbs back up to Old Toll Road are pretty darn hard.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks Mike!

Re: respecting hiking trails in Montreat: of course!

The route you described sounds like a possibility. Is Rattlesnake marked? Sounds like it will put me out on old 70 just before the intersection with Royal Gorge right?

Will either do this or will drive to picnic area and do a lap of Kitsuma + part of the ORAMM route . . .

Members who have read this thread: 0