Lift access at Sugar Mtn?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Lift access at Sugar Mtn?

Hey Guys-

I'm looking for some downhill fun. I see that Sugar Mountain offers lift access, but their website shows no info on the trails.

Can anyone chime in how the riding is there? Are there any fast technical DH trails there worth making the trip from Charlotte for? I was thinking about hitting it up this weekend.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    They have some killer trails, but the lifts are slow. They hosted a national a few years back and the DH courses are still there. Definately worth the trip.

mtbr member
    We have 1 downhill trail. It is rocky, steep, and everything you would want out of a dh trail. All day ticket is $25 and it takes about 25 minutes to ride the lift. Sugar is currently the only resort that is open to public lift access mtn biking in the area. Hopefully beech will follow if enough interest is shown during race weekends. I usually ride every saturday so give me a shout if you can't find the trails. I ride a white sunday.-Brad

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Awesome, thanks for the info guys. I'm going try to get up there this weekend. I don't mind a slow lift and $25.00 is not bad at all. Brad, If I get up there on saturday I will keep and eye out for you.

mtbr member
    To get your $ worth try to get there early...thunderstorms in the afternoon.

mtbr member
    Brad, which one is the DH trail(s)?

http://www.skisugar.com/summer/trailmap.pdf
    Media Manager - Coming Soon
    Press Relations - Team Billy Goat Bikes - Mountain Khakis

mtbr member
    that map isn't the greatest because they printed it a few years ago with the intention of rerouting most of the dh trail that runs under the lift line, but you can at least see where it starts and ends. Take a right when you get off the lift and the dh starts at the top by the entrance to woopdedoo. From there it parallels north ridge, crosses to the left for a small wooded/rock section, then crosses to the right before the dogleg and down a steep rock face that is a blast to ride, then crosses again on the left into a steep washout and rock (ie dungeon)section and under the lift(not on map) into more woods(lizard's lane) and eventually dumps out onto easy street.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    let me know if and when you're going, me and another friend would like to join.

mtbr member
    I will be there today 7/31 and august 1st.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Did it rain up there? I was ready to go this morning but I opted out due to the weather.

Might try again tommorow.

That's damn yankee to you
    Aug 2008
    No lifts on weekdays right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    You know....... whatever bike they are riding, assure them its the biggest bike of any guy you have ever ridden with.

mtbr member
    weekends only

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    how busy is it on a typical saturday...i live in greenville sc just wondering if its worth the 3 1/2 hr trip plus the $25 or jus ride here for free

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdavistiger12
    how busy is it on a typical saturday...i live in greenville sc just wondering if its worth the 3 1/2 hr trip plus the $25 or jus ride here for free
    Good question, I'd like to know as well, as it looks like I will be moving the Greenville area in a month.
    Media Manager - Coming Soon
    Press Relations - Team Billy Goat Bikes - Mountain Khakis

spec4life???..smh...
    From my limited experience up there it is not crowded at all. There is no lift line you pretty much can get right on..but i may have just been lucky...

mtbr member
    yeah, no problem with crowds - you can get right on the lift, but damm that thing is slow!! They may have sped it up, but I remember a hiker passing us hiking up the mountain. Trails are worth it - a national level DH course. You just have to get there early and not take any breaks. You might be able to get 6-7 runs in before the afternoon storms.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    yea the lifts do suck especially in the cold winter RAIN not snow rain seems like every time i go to sugar in the winter its raining...but anyway what time do the lifts open

mtbr member
    Lifts start at 10, no lift line, it takes approximately 25 minutes to get from the bottom to the top, and the course is ripping.

Members who have read this thread: 0