Laurel Mtn to Big Creek- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Laurel Mtn to Big Creek

Looking for another option to Laurel Mtn. I've done Laurel Mtn climb up, and down Pilot Rock. I've read the many guide books that at one of the gaps, you can take a unmarked trail to the right, and this shoots you down to Big Creek which runs all the way the Trace Ridge trailhead. Another option that I heard about is take Laurel Mtn all the way up through the hike a bike section, and bypass the LM connector and this pops you out at the BRP. Go down the BRP a little bit, you run into Little Pisgah Ridge. Walk/carry in this trail a bit and you run into Big Creek.

Wondering about everyone's opinion of each option. I apologize for going into too much detail above, but I want to make sure I got it down. Tomorrow is the big day for us flat landers. Thanks for the suggestions.

Chris

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady
    Looking for another option to Laurel Mtn. I've done Laurel Mtn climb up, and down Pilot Rock. I've read the many guide books that at one of the gaps, you can take a unmarked trail to the right, and this shoots you down to Big Creek which runs all the way the Trace Ridge trailhead. Another option that I heard about is take Laurel Mtn all the way up through the hike a bike section, and bypass the LM connector and this pops you out at the BRP. Go down the BRP a little bit, you run into Little Pisgah Ridge. Walk/carry in this trail a bit and you run into Big Creek.

Wondering about everyone's opinion of each option. I apologize for going into too much detail above, but I want to make sure I got it down. Tomorrow is the big day for us flat landers. Thanks for the suggestions.

Chris
    The connector to Big Creek is sweetness itself, but it is not technically an open trail. I see a lot of discussion on this board about trails in various places that are not technically open, although they may not be enforced as closed. While we all know these trails get used, I HIGHLY suggest that we keep the discussion of their use off public forums such as this. MTB impact in the Pisgah district keeps growing, and our continued access is constantly being challenged. You may think this is someplace the "people in power" aren't going to look, but keep facts like this in mind; the supervising district ranger for Pisgah is a pretty serious MTBer himself (he bought an Ellsworth from a LBS) and may look here . While he may be a MTBer, I guarantee we do not want him to see people talking about using these not technically open trails. So, have fun on any trail that is not signed as closed, hike those that are closed, but I suggest we keep the public discussion to only those trails that are "on the map" as open. After all, there are an awful lot of them. I welcome feedback on this topic. Peace.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    The connector to Big Creek is sweetness itself, but it is not technically an open trail. I see a lot of discussion on this board about trails in various places that are not technically open, although they may not be enforced as closed. While we all know these trails get used, I HIGHLY suggest that we keep the discussion of their use off public forums such as this. MTB impact in the Pisgah district keeps growing, and our continued access is constantly being challenged. You may think this is someplace the "people in power" aren't going to look, but keep facts like this in mind; the supervising district ranger for Pisgah is a pretty serious MTBer himself (he bought an Ellsworth from a LBS) and may look here . While he may be a MTBer, I guarantee we do not want him to see people talking about using these not technically open trails. So, have fun on any trail that is not signed as closed, hike those that are closed, but I suggest we keep the public discussion to only those trails that are "on the map" as open. After all, there are an awful lot of them. I welcome feedback on this topic. Peace.

I apologize. I'm not familiar with the area, and was not aware of the closed status. I was getting my information from a guide book which shows this route. Maybe it should be corrected. Don't worry, you'll never see a post from me again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady
    I apologize. I'm not familiar with the area, and was not aware of the closed status. I was getting my information from a guide book which shows this route. Maybe it should be corrected. Don't worry, you'll never see a post from me again.
    No need for apology. It is in a guide book and is an "unofficial" trail- not on the map and not signed as closed. But, in the mind of the USFS, that makes it closed- if it ain't marked as open or indicated as such on a map, we ain't supposed to be on it. Ridiculous, I know, but that's the way they see it. In this circumstance, you already know about the trail, and it is, as I said, sweetness itself- so have fun (and make sure your brakes are working)! Peace

Official Cooler Inspector

Mini-rant in my pant

I can recall when Laurel was considered a mega-hush-hush trail, not to mention the offshoot sections that were nearly impassable a few years ago. I haven’t been up that way this year due to an injury, but from what I’m told, very little has changed.

In my house we have three “generations” of mountain bikers – one being the trail maintenance coordinator for Bent Creek. In my neighborhood, I have two factory reps and three bike shop employees. We all ride, we all advocate, we all talk to strangers and we all love MTB. I don’t feel web site forums and/or word of mouth directions lead people to ride trails that are undesignated. If anything, detailed information helps to promote trail protection by detouring those who do not know the area and might possibly not have the ability or interest to ride some of the places they read about on line or in guides. I have come across many unprepared riders who were following trails “designated” in their $29.95 trail guides and still got lost.

I happen to love long backcountry trips. I go prepared, know who to call in an emergency and how to get home. Some one from outside of this area does not have that advantage. They go to their pooter, type Mountain Bikes North Carolina and you have yet another seemingly redundant what’s the Best Trail to Ride on My Vacation post that is responded to by people who may or may not even live here.

Soooo… as stated below to Sportsman – ask, research, plan, get the map and frigging ride yourself silly. I hear Tsali is cool.

EOD

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=M-U-M]I can recall when Laurel was considered a mega-hush-hush trail, not to mention the offshoot sections that were nearly impassable a few years ago. I haven’t been up that way this year due to an injury, but from what I’m told, very little has changed.

In my house we have three “generations” of mountain bikers – one being the trail maintenance coordinator for Bent Creek. In my neighborhood, I have two factory reps and three bike shop employees. We all ride, we all advocate, we all talk to strangers and we all love MTB. I don’t feel web site forums and/or word of mouth directions lead people to ride trails that are undesignated. If anything, detailed information helps to promote trail protection by detouring those who do not know the area and might possibly not have the ability or interest to ride some of the places they read about on line or in guides. I have come across many unprepared riders who were following trails “designated” in their $29.95 trail guides and still got lost.

I happen to love long backcountry trips. I go prepared, know who to call in an emergency and how to get home. Some one from outside of this area does not have that advantage. They go to their pooter, type Mountain Bikes North Carolina and you have yet another seemingly redundant what’s the Best Trail to Ride on My Vacation post that is responded to by people who may or may not even live here.

Soooo… as stated below to Sportsman – ask, research, plan, get the map and frigging ride yourself silly. I hear Tsali is cool.

EOD[/QUOTE

My "point for discussion" is not if the trail should be hush-hush- keep it secret from the masses, etc. Going back through the NC threads, I see a lot of back-and-forth about trails that aren't fully open to MTBers. The ones in Haw Creek, for example, are either, I think, on Parkway or unmanaged private property(I could be wrong on this-I'm making assumptions about those). There was discussion about other trails to get to off the Parkway near Linville that people were saying [paraphrased]- "it's not open to bikes, but nobody uses it and it's a great trail to ride." Again, we all know this happens, but we are still, even in this area, the "newbies" in the woods and one of the primary arguments used by the anti-MTB people is that we either do not respect trail designations and/or we blatantly ride where we aren't supposed to. It seems like we are just feeding this fire by discussing these practices in a public forum. Our best chances for increasing access, such as getting additional "off the map" trails in Bent Creek (which, again, we all ride at some time or another) officially designated is by at least appearing to obey the rules and be good little boys and girls.

FYI, Laurel is still one of the sweetest trails around, but the increased use it has seen through last year's rains has led to a visible increase in user impact on the first 2 miles of so out from the Yellow Gap trailhead. I hope you recover soon and get to ride it again. Peace.