Laurel Mountain / Pilot Rock- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Laurel Mountain / Pilot Rock

Think I'd like to ride both downhill, but most routes show riding it as up Laurel, down Pilot, and along Yellow Gap Road

My idea is to park at Pilot Cove, go up Slate Rock and connector to Laurel, to Pilot and downhill. Then up same route and downhill Laurel. Then head back to parking lot from Yellow Gap.

What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I think yellow gap is still closed

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Dig it!
    What ever floats your boat, but that seems like a plan you would only execute once, IMHO. Have you tried an out an back on Laurel? It rides really well both ways.
    Should you do more trail work?

since 4/10/2009
    Never ridden that connector, but I camped at the top of it for a weekend and saw plenty using it. NOBODY rode their bikes up it. The only people coming up were hikers. My understanding is it's not pleasant to climb on a bike.

I agree that Laurel rides well both directions. Except the very last bit at the top of Laurel. Good bit of HAB in there if you're headed up.

IMO, if you want to descend both, you'd be better off doing a semi-shuttle route. Park a vehicle at the bottom of Pilot. Shuttle up to the Pisgah Inn. You'll have to hike in until you're off the Parkway land, but start your ride by descending Laurel. Turn around and climb it up to intersection with Pilot, then descend Pilot to finish. Or you could flip the descents (doing Laurel last would let you cut out the HAB going up Laurel by turning around at Sassafras Gap) and add some distance to your ride by riding the gravel between the Laurel TH and Pilot TH (or add the Slate Rock stuff, if you're feeling strong and adventurous).

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Went up Slate Rock connector once. Never again. So many huge down trees and thorn vines. It's so steep none of it is rideable.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    looks like i rode these trails before back in 2015, so I hit black mountain instead. holy crap, that HAB ain't no joke. loved the trail, and that flow at the end is absolutely superb. i just don't understand how I'm seeing 3 hour ride logs from the bottom, up 276 to the top and back down

Dig it!
    Its because those locals are legit.
    Should you do more trail work?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bfluid View Post
    Its because those locals are legit.
    for real. i wish i lived somewhere where i can get climbing legs and lungs

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sinfony78 View Post
    looks like i rode these trails before back in 2015, so I hit black mountain instead. holy crap, that HAB ain't no joke. loved the trail, and that flow at the end is absolutely superb. i just don't understand how I'm seeing 3 hour ride logs from the bottom, up 276 to the top and back down
    There are some seriously fast people here.

I have to stop for multiple breathers on my way up that particular route. The descent is great, but that HAB at the top means that I might only do the full loop once or twice a year, whereas I'll do lower Black a bunch of times.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Went up Slate Rock connector once. Never again. So many huge down trees and thorn vines. It's so steep none of it is rideable.

Second, third and fourth that. I did that with my son - the last ride of our trip and it was terrible. It had rained the night before and everything was wet and overgrown. They need to remove that trail from the map.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    They need to remove that trail from the map.
    The only map that trail is on (that I've seen) is Trailforks.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    They need to remove that trail from the map.
    Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Why?

Well, to start with, it's not an actual system trail, which means nobody maintains it leading to the aforementioned conditions.

From a connectivity standpoint, though, it does make sense to have an actual maintained system trail connecting Laurel and Slate in that general area. Which would work well with the plan for a connector between Laurel and Big Rock that I saw awhile back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Well, to start with, it's not an actual system trail, which means nobody maintains it leading to the aforementioned conditions.

From a connectivity standpoint, though, it does make sense to have an actual maintained system trail connecting Laurel and Slate in that general area. Which would work well with the plan for a connector between Laurel and Big Rock that I saw awhile back.
    Agree. Something connecting the two would be good. I think it was on my paper map as well. Have to check.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

Big Mac

Iíve never seen it on any map. Maintenance on it certainly wouldnít make it any easier to climb. I havenít been down it in over a year, and I donít recall any issues with it. And yes, it makes total sense for it to be there, making great loop options. Maybe it needs to be added to the inventory. Or not.

Big Mac
    Which would work well with the plan for a connector between Laurel and Big Rock that I saw awhile back.
    Big Rock? You mean Big Creek?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Big Rock? You mean Big Creek?

Yes, I meant Big Creek. Too many trails with similar names and I slip up too often on them.

Big Mac

Laurel Mountain / Pilot Rock

Yes, I meant Big Creek. Too many trails with similar names and I slip up too often on them.
    Thatís ok man, we all do it at some point.

Last edited by mbmb65; 1 Day Ago at 04:16 AM.