Laurel clouds...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Laurel clouds...

If you have a chance to hit some of the high-ridge trails in the next week or two, YOU MUST DO SO!
    I've lived and ridden here for 12 years now and never seen anything like the mountain laurel and rhododendron bloom that is on right now. It was so beautiful coming down Heartbreak yesterday it actually made me slow down from the gasps of astonishment...flowers so dense it was like snow on the bushes...riding through pink clouds...amazing!!
    Recommended trails:
    - Laurel Mountain
    - Heartbreak
    - Kitsuma
    - Parts of Black Mountain
    - really any other with dense laurel/ rhodo cover

Check out the pictures on pisgahproductions blog for a few examples...

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Heartbreak was pretty amazing on Saturday as well! G*DD*MN THATS A M**&^F(&*^&*(ING fun ride down!!

What amazing weather, etc we have here. We did Rattlesnake>Old Toll>Parkway>Mitchell Access>Bumcombe Horse>Campground ORAMM route back up to Parkway>Heartbreak, etc etc. From Buncombe Horse Trail to the car we went from 50's,chilly,slimy, Pacific Northwest type weather to 80's blazing hot & dry! What a wild ride!
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

banned
    I almost crashed 3 or 4 times on heartbreak last sunday because of looking at the blooms. It was pretty sweet smelling going through the narrow part on top of the ridge.

mtbr member
    Things are pretty intense out by the hatchery as well. Take a detour down the trail to McCall cemetery and enjoy some full-on Laurel tunnels between the cemetery and Long Branch.

It's a real jungle out there with all the rain we've had. The fungus like it too!

But don't take your eyes off the road too long or you might have worse problems than cruso. This truck was the SECOND vehicle I found off the road in two days.
    Yesterday I came across a fully loaded U-Haul dangling over the edge just before Cathy's Creek Falls. (sorry, not so great a picture...)

Funny/scary part is the driver and his kids were still sitting in the truck
    many gears, some pies

Members who have read this thread: 0