Lake Norman SP- Mtbr.com

Thread: Lake Norman SP

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Lake Norman SP

Heading out to LNSP with a group for the first time. Keeping it a more social pace so thinking I will bring the trail bike. Is there much opportunity out there or just focus on railing turns and some descents?

mini clyde
    Opportunity for what, Dave?

When i went a couple of years ago i rode Monbo, Norwood, Hawk, Hicks and Laurel. I don't recall Wildlife, Fallstown and Fox ... memory might be bad, maybe they were built since I was there. Seems like there were signs up about some new trails "coming soon." By my recollection Monbo was faster and more open than the parks trails in Wake Co., the rest will feel very familiar. Elevation changes will be more like Wake Co than Pisgah/Dupont.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I guess I was hoping for opportunities to catch some air or some really rough rocky stuff. I was hoping that some of the machine work gave you a bunch of grade dips\reversals\doubles to catch some air. My Santa Cruz slows me down a little so I can keep pace for a social group and still get a work out as if I was riding a faster xc bike. So I was looking for stuff that would be fun on the Santa Cruz.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    LKNSP is mostly flowy single track. The Wildlife, Fallstown and Fox loops are recent additions (within the last 1-1/2 yrs) and like most of LKNSP, they are flowy. There is are a few "jumps" or opportunity to get some air there, but no doubles, tabletops, etc. Not too much climbing either. Mostly punchy climbs. If you take your trail bike, you will enjoy the flow, speed and opportunities for air (again not a whole lot) on Laruel, wildlife, fallstown, fox and monbo loops.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks guys for the responses. I'm sure I will have fun on the Santa Cruz no matter what. Have these knew minions that I will be breaking in. Also, looking for a good bbq joint or place to eat in that area. Mom and pop\no chain restaurant style. If not bbq, anything else with some good quality food and beer.

Some Assembly Required
    Might wanna czech and make sure it isn't closed due to rain, they close it at the 1st drop. Mileage is about all you'l get at LNSP.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    If your looking for technical descending or jumps of any kind LKN is not where you need to go. Its mostly flat, smooth(like paved smooth), flowy trail. I usually rode my cross bike and left the mtn bike at home when we rode it.

Dont know where your coming from but youd be better off going to Warrior Creek/Kerr Scott. Its similar to LKN but slightly more technical and much more flow and elevation.

Not saying LKN is not fun, its a hell of a fun trail...Just not on a 4" travel bike.
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Edited.
    Last edited by mikeridesabike; 07-24-2014 at 08:56 PM.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Randy's BBQ, in Troutman, just outside of Lake Norman. It is a good, local owned spot located on mainstreet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks again. Weather looks good, looking forward to some BBQ.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I live near here. Does anyone mountain bike the Over Mountain Victory trail to the top and then down the ridge?

Robtre
    I will echo what most have said already. LNSP is a great trail, I ride there every week. It is fast and flowy and smooth. I too ride a CX bike there so I think duallies out there is overkill but to each his own. The trail can be challenging if you go fast and there are many places to get air.
    -rides bikes for fun.

Rogue Exterminator
    I was in Charlotte a couple weeks ago and rode WWC and LNSP.
    I will agree, a full suspension bike is extreme overkill out there.
    I rode my Single Speed the whole time and even the suspension fork wan't really needed.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.