Kitsuma & Some Loppers - A Love Story- Mtbr.com
    Third Degree Hater-Fu

Kitsuma & Some Loppers - A Love Story

Kitsuma in Black Mountain is my favorite trail bar none because there is no where else you can get 4.5 miles of high speed, twisty DH singletrack & a gated, paved, shallow grade road climb that is a piece of cake back to the top. If I had to break out that much climbing on singletrack, I'd still think it was my fav...but it would double the time to ride. As is, you can't beat 1hr 30 minute rides that have that much DH built in!!!

Anyway, it's my baby but neglected for years now. The rhodos have made it impossible to lean into the banks or to rail turns & link sweepers. Just one long blind scraping tunnel that pushes you off the trail. On a climb, no big woop...but on descents it's a bloody, itchy mess & dangerous when you add the random uphill hiker.

I gutted every tight mess I could find & Todd Branham & crew took out 2 head high trees and groomed the sides the length of the whole trail to give breathing room the length of it. My approach was to take an S turn area and cut out a visual line of sight down trail. I'd park my bike down trail and walk back up to spot my bike..then cut a view path all the way back to my bike. It made a HUGE difference. On the very last left hand, switchback uphill turn on the 3rd & final climb, I cut really deep into the uphill side of the trail. Brush had grown into what was the original trailbed & a new line had formed down low that was almost vapor. Threw brush in the old line and magicly after 30-40 minutes, out of the underbrush popped the original. Felt almost like a pro...heh. Pretty neat.

In the end, Kitsuma is now epicly fun again and alot of the original flow came back now that you can see where you're linking things up again. Todd has another work day for the end of the month to repair eroded sections where the trail itself is just GONE. I'm going to campaign my fellow gravity junkies to come help and hope they will join in the dig.

My back is a complete knot & I suffered a heat stroke almost on the climb out..but am pretty proud of the attention given to my old friend.

Who is up to help?
    I am not a "Role Model"

mtbr member
    Bro', that's some kinky lovin' you're talking about. I had to the big daddy loppers and my upper body is more sore than last Monday after the Assault. Thanks for coming out and putting in the hard work for everyone to enjoy!

-G-
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Thank You!!!!!

Yep, that' shouting, because I'm very appreciative.

Geoff

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks to everyone that came out on Sunday to trim Kitsuma. It's amazing what 5 people and 19 hours can accomplish.

The tread work day for Kitsuma will be on Sunday September 7. We will meet at the upper parking lot at 10AM and work our way down where we will have a shuttle car waiting to take you back to the top. Be sure to bring plenty of H2O, food and a good pair of work gloves. Blue Ridge Adventures will provide all the tools. Please contact Todd Branham if you plan to attend.

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    that's a lot of rhodo-grubbin! can't wait till my next time up there, thanks for the hard work.

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    Quote Originally Posted by zod
    that's a lot of rhodo-grubbin! can't wait till my next time up there, thanks for the hard work.

my bladed weedeater would definitely be the weapon of choice up there in sections where there are these miniature 1-3 foot high skinny rhodos-to-come along the trail, especially on the climbs.

A nice note I forgot to mention was that as I was climbing up the 1st section, a pair of hikers was headed up & asked what the loppers on my pack were for. When I told him, he said "That's just great! Thanks. I'm trying to toss logs in these shortcuts off the switchbacks." He'd done an awesome job too.

I ran into them on the downside, something you rarely ever see is hikers descending to Old Fort on that trail. They had a car at the bottom. Hikers......shuttling!!!

Whoda thunk it????
    I am not a "Role Model"

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    Got to ride it yesterday and there is much more room in so many places. Those who don't have it memorized like me might not even know it's been cleaned. But it is still definitely a tight fit.

It really hit home how washed out alot of the turns are on the backside & I'm eager to dig on the 7th to get it fixed up.
    I am not a "Role Model"

Members who have read this thread: 0