Kitsuma 5/30- Mtbr.com

Thread: Kitsuma 5/30

Super Moderator SuperModerator

Kitsuma 5/30

Anyone wanna ride Kitsuma in the morning? This will be my first time there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Probably going elsewhere but I enjoy connecting Rattlesnake with Kitsuma. It involves some road riding to make it a loop but I think its more enjoyable and was actually easier to hit the switchbacks on kitzuma warmed up. I can give specifics if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammertime View Post
    Probably going elsewhere but I enjoy connecting Rattlesnake with Kitsuma. It involves some road riding to make it a loop but I think its more enjoyable and was actually easier to hit the switchbacks on kitzuma warmed up. I can give specifics if you're interested.
    Any advice would help. Some guy was saying that he starts on the bottom of the picnic area, goes up the paved road, and then back down.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Did you ride today or are you going tomorrow (Sunday)? Picnic and then up the paved greenway is the way to go IMO. I hate hitting Kistuma with a 100yd warmup from the top parking lot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    (1) Picnic parking lot, up paved greenway (prettiest view)
    (2) Picnic parking lot, up mill creek rd past Andrews Geyser -- turns into gravel road and reconnects on road with the greenway. (Jerdon Mountain challenge goes up Mill Creek to Kitzuma)
    (3) Park at upper parking lot, ride into ridgecrest, up ballbuster Adventure Trail, left on Toll Rd, Left on Rattlesnake. Back out to kitzuma.
    (4) My longish ride from the house involves riding into Montreat via Montreat Rd. Right on Lookout Rd. Climb to Rainbow trail trailhead. Rainbow trail to Mitchell Toll Rd. Toll Rd to Rattlesnake. Descend, out of Ridgecrest (wave to guards) Left up to Kitzuma upper parking lot, descend, back up greenway (easiest) or Mill Creek.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Here are some maps if you want to be creative. Also, Rattlesnake and Kitzuma are in the Pisgah Enduro

Ridgecrest Map --
    http://ridgecrestconferencecenter.or..._Trail_Map.pdf

Montreat map -- Bikes only allowed on Trails 3 (rainbow rd.), 6 (toll rd), and 18 (Appalachian way)
    http://www.graybeardgraphics.com/ima...sLegal1109.pdf

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Ashevillemtber, how was your ride?

Quote Originally Posted by Jammertime View Post
    Ashevillemtber, how was your ride?
    Decided to take my wife with me, so we went on easier trails. I'll hit Kitsuma soon. Probably will start at the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Bumping this to clarify a few things. I'm new to NC and out in Charlotte, I've been working in Cherokee the last few weeks though. On my way through last week I stopped at Bent Creek and had a blast.

Checking out my maps Kitsuma is right off I-40 and would make another easy ride at 5pm as I drive home.

From what I gather most folks prefer to park at the Fort Mill picnic area unless you have some sort of warmup prior to climbing to Kitsuma peak? Just checking on parking/direction before I head out there. Thanks.
    Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades.

a bike shop mechanic told me to start at the bottom too. He also said not to do it alone, unless you're really careful. I'd like to do with with someone.

mtbr member
    Kitsuma is a great trail. There is no reason to park at the bottom unless its either 1) a shorter drive for you or 2) you absolutely HAVE to end with a descent.

It is a very pleasant climb back up from the picnic area. Kids can do it. Long, but never steep, great views.

If you park at the top, the initial climb is a very hard warm up with several switchbacks. Still, doesn't take more than 15 minutes walking.

The descending is hard, but it is not necessary to go with somebody else so long as your brakes work and you have the common sense to walk when you need to.

Of course, riding with others is usually both more fun and safer- no argument there.

If you're looking for an introduction into high-speed descending with tech features, there's nothing better than Kitsuma.

mtbr member
    Mike, thanks for the clarification. I think the normal CCW loop with the climb at the end is easiest for me coming right off 40.

As for going it alone. I have a long history of riding solo. Of doing almost all my outdoor pursuits solo actually. I love company but, I'm not afraid to walk and I play it somewhat safe.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'd agree with Mike. I prefer to park at top (when not shuttling it with another friend for a double run)....as i like the climb back. Always take the helmets off and just chat/chill

some of the trail side drop offs are pretty steep, thats always my fear when riding alone...ending up 200' below the trail REAL quick.

mtbr member
    Just curious, how much does the Adventure/Old Toll/Rattlesnake loop add on? I'm looking to stop by after I finish work in Cherokee on my way back to Charlotte so I wouldn't be hitting the Kitsuma TH until 5/5:30. I'm guessing the Kitsuma loop will be enough for me (~10 miles correct?) but if I did want more and light was still abundant just curious what heading to Ridgecrest might add.

Maybe we should plan a Kitsuma group ride?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iceboxsteve View Post
    Just curious, how much does the Adventure/Old Toll/Rattlesnake loop add on? I'm looking to stop by after I finish work in Cherokee on my way back to Charlotte so I wouldn't be hitting the Kitsuma TH until 5/5:30. I'm guessing the Kitsuma loop will be enough for me (~10 miles correct?) but if I did want more and light was still abundant just curious what heading to Ridgecrest might add.

Mileage is irrelevant for this description.

The paved road of death to Adventure trail is exactly that- a paved road of death. Seems to be about a 15% grade or so for at least a mile. Hard. Adventure trail itself has some very steep sections as well, although not as bad.
    Old Toll Road> Rattlesnake is an excellent high speed descent.
    Although the mileage is shorter than Kitsuma, this route more than doubles your effort and time if added on.

mtbr member
    Yeah, you're right Mike. Out here it's not about mileage it's about time. Thanks for that.

Also I'm currently sitting at Trailhead having some Pisgah brew and enjoying some great bluegrass. Kitsuma was fantastic. Wish I warmed up before pedaling the one gear up. But it was over quick. The actual ridge was great, though again no warmup and just downhill almost made me cramp. Point Lookout back was an easy delightful spin.

Didn't find the trail as dangerous as one may think. But I take it easy and have fun. It was over wry quickly though haha. Great ride.

Quote Originally Posted by iceboxsteve View Post

Also I'm currently sitting at Trailhead having some Pisgah brew and enjoying some great bluegrass. Kitsuma was fantastic. Wish I warmed up before pedaling the one gear up. But it was over quick. The actual ridge was great, though again no warmup and just downhill almost made me cramp. Point Lookout back was an easy delightful spin.

Didn't find the trail as dangerous as one may think. But I take it easy and have fun. It was over wry quickly though haha. Great ride.
    Where did you park?

mtbr member
    The top. I was worried getting there at 6pm would make for a tight squeeze so I opted out of Ridgecrest warmups and hit the trail cold. The switchbacks are all pretty doable, I walked one stretch.

Only thing was straight up hill and then boom into downhill mode made my legs feel a bit crampy. In like 30 minutes I was down with the ridge and had an easy spin on the Point Lookout which I assumed was dirt, but is paved. So actually the whole loop is pretty quick.

And like I said I ride pretty mellow, especially being alone.

Anybody want to ride Kitsuma this weekend?

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AshevilleMtBiker View Post
    Anybody want to ride Kitsuma this weekend?
    It's going to be wet, and wet Kitsuma is not a fun Kitsuma (imo).