Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Kerr Scott & Rocky Knob

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  ncps 
#1 ·
Visiting the trails at KSR and Rocky Knob in a few weeks, and am wondering about tire choice. I typically ride beefier tires, but am currently running Crossmarks. Will they be a good choice on those trails? Thanks for any input.

#3 ·
While the trail at Kerr Scotts are pretty smooth there are some places at Warrior Creek that you could definitely use a stout tire. Actually OVT was where I got my first snake bite hole dropping into one of the creek crossings.

Rocky Knob is a whole other story. It is aptly named. Many, many rocks. Tires I've seen on those trails are Nevegals, Mountain Kings, etc. I personally run Knobby Nicks on my rig and I'm not familiar with the Crossmarks. But for RK I'd recommend something that can handle some rocks and rough trail.

Give me a holler when you figure out when you're going to be in Boone and if I can I can show you around. If not there's usually somebody around over there and most people are pretty friendly and will show you around, just ask. The systems pretty short and simple but it is 1 way and there are lots of closed trails that will be opening soon. Have fun!

Bryan

#4 ·
Kerr Scott for the most part is super buffed out. I mainly ride dark mt. and enjoy my minions on the more all mountain oriented trails. Rocky knob can get pretty wild (loose rocks and dirt, mud, wet roots, etc.). Tons of fun, just a more rowdy kind of riding. I would go with a good AM tire.

#5 ·
Hey everyone. Great comments on the tires. Definitely use less air in them at RKP.

Thank you for your support of these two great trail systems. If you have visited Rocky Knob please consider helping us out by filling out a survey:

Trail Survey | Rocky Knob Mountain Bike Park

We want to hear about your experience so we can demonstrate to local leaders that out-of-towners have been using the park.

Thanks a ton. :thumbsup:

#6 ·
You could get away with almost any tire at warrior creek/dark mtn. Fast tracks and captains are popular choices at the shop I work at. As far as rocky knob something a little more aggressive but still fast on the hardpack sections would be good. Might want to run tubeless if you aren't already or at the very least something with good sidewall protection with added air pressure. Minions are over kill but high rollers, purgatories, ground control, etc are all good choices.

#7 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Sounds like the Crossmarks would be fine for KSR. They are a fairly low profile XC tire. They are a pretty popular tire, but I've never ridden them until recently (came stock on my current bike). I've been pleased with how well they grip, but I may throw on some Motoraptors I have lying around. More my style and it sounds like they'd be right at home at Rocky Knob.

#9 ·
No, we shouldn't ignore superduche...

Yeah, we see him out at the local trials all the time riding his Colnago C59 just tearing the trials a new one! He's so rad and gets so much traction! And on a bad-ass road bike, no less! But I guess when you live in a fantasy world everything is better and easier...

#11 ·
"We want to hear about your experience so we can demonstrate to local leaders that out-of-towners have been using the park. "

When we complete the current Phase 3 build (PBJ trail, skills area), there definitely will be folks who drive up to Boone to ride Rocky Knob.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.