Kerr Scott area bike rental needed..Recc?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Kerr Scott area bike rental needed..Recc?

Hi. Coming down from Philly this month and would like to rent a bike to ride the Kerr Scott area trails. Anyone know of any bike shops that are close to this area that rent bikes?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I think Boone would be your closest option. There are multiple shops there so I'd call and see what demos are available. While in Boone I'd also check out Rocky Knob mtb park. You can easily ride Rocky Knob and Warrior Creek in the same day.

Rogue Exterminator
    A good question is what are you looking for in a ride?

Rocky Knob is great but expect to climb a lot.
    It is a purpose built bike park with directional trails and a lot of features.

Kerr Scott, OVT and Warrior are all good trails but not anything off the chain.
    I liked Warrior Creek the best. The "proposed loop" is complete and probably the most fun.

https://brushymtncyclists.com/wp-con...creeek-map.png

Rocky knob is full suspension worthy.
    Everything else I was on my single speed hard tail and would not have had it any other way.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    If you ride Warrior Creek don't skip the headwaters loop. It's short but by far the most technical section.

Rogue Exterminator
    It was the absolute best thing in all the trails out there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks guys for the ride recommendations!! I'm have trouble searching for the names of Bike shops in the area to rent a bike from. Anyone know of any bike shops?

mtbr member
    Come see us at Boone Bike. We have small medium and large Specialized Cambers. If you want to try something with more travel we have small medium and large Trek Remedy 650B full suspension rentals. If gravity riding is your thing we have a medium and large Specialized Status in our fleet. All of our rental information is on our website Home - www.boonebike.com. Hope you enjoy your trip to western NC!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Boone Bike

mtbr member

Re: Kerr Scott area bike rental needed..Recc?

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post

Kerr Scott, OVT and Warrior are all good trails but not anything off the chain.
    I liked Warrior Creek the best. The "proposed loop" is complete and probably the most fun.
    I've ridden a lot of trails in many different states, and noticed a few things. Riders in states with lots of technical riding generally under appreciate their more flow oriented options. The trails at kerr scott are the gold standard for flow and berm usage, and should be a destination for just about anyone, for that reason alone. I presume locals don't want to lose street cred with their riding buddies, by admitting they like flow also.

When I was at warrior creek, I passed a rider from boone. He commented that, to him, this wasn't real mountain biking. It was like city riding, he said. Now, I'm not really sure what that even means, but at the speed he was traveling, he wasn't even really experiencing the trails. He was all kitted out in sausage casings , and surely just trying to get some miles in.

My advice would be to ride less and shred harder. I linked the trails together by road, but in the end, wished I had just driven between them, and saved it for the trails.

This coming from a guy who seeks out double black boulder tech, and nasty rock gardens. It's probably my favorite kind of riding. But, I'm not afraid to get my flow on. I've ridden dozens upon dozens upon dozens of trails, and I've yet to encounter another like these.

Rogue Exterminator
    Or maybe it is just that they are all good trails but not anything off the chain....but thanks for your input anyways.