kerr scott- Mtbr.com

Thread: kerr scott

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

kerr scott

Hello all. Starting my search for a spring time destination for a weekend of riding and camping with my buds. I've seen a lot of great possibilities in NC, but today Kerr Scott has my attention. It would be about a 4.5 - 5 hour drive from the Richmond, VA area. What are your thoughts? Should I keep it on my short list?

mtbr member
    I rode there once last summer. They have 3 different trails systems. Dark Mountain, OVT, and Warrior Creek. We rode about 30 miles and had a great time. They have camping on-site as well.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

spec4life???..smh...
    Those are my home trails and they are sorely missed now that im here in east central NC...

Warrior creek is a 12 mile loop which is the most challenging of all the trail both technically and climbing and was just complelted in the last year or so...

OVT is around a 11 or 12 mile out and back...its nice flowing single track not to technical but a great ride..

Dark mountain is a main jeep road with many trails linking into it..you should try to follow the BURN loop it will let you see most evrything and is a very fun ride..

The best places to camp are Bandits roost and warrior creek...

I would definently put it right at the top of the list for riding in NC..pisgah is right there but the diffrence is pisgah youll climb straight up for an hour or so then go straoght down..wilkes rideing is just flowing not super long climbs just perfect to keep you rolling..

im missing it more just talking about it..lol...luckly im headed home for christmas...

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    I call wilkes mini pisgah

dark mtn. is one of my favs in nc

29er zealot
    fleetwood, check out bmcc.us for more info. The place I would stay would be Bandit's Roost campground. Reservations can be had at reacreation.gov. Bandit's Roost is right at the end of the OVT. Warrior Creek, like spec4life said is about 12 miles and is the most technical of the three systems. OVT, with shiners run, is about an 18mile out and back now. Dark Mountain is about 7 miles, if you follow the BURN loop. When the time comes, post back up here if you'd like a guide to the trails. They are pretty straightforward, but I'd be glad to show you around!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks everyone for the information. Are all the trails easily accessible from Bandit's Roost? Are the different trails interconnected or standalone? I'm going to go check out the website now...

29er zealot
    Bandit's Roost is at the western terminus of the OVT, you can ride from your campsite right onto the trail. Dark Mountain is extremely easy to link from OVT, all you have to do is ride across the road at the top of the dam. Warriors Creek is a bit more worrisome to ride to, you have to head out 268 to get to the trailhead...268 can be a bit sketchy.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    What sort of riding do you and your friends enjoy? The Wilkes trails are fabulous if you enjoy fast and flowy, tsali-esque riding. They keep a big smile on your face, and are so nicely planned and put together i constantly find myself pushing faster and faster on them. If you are seeking technical riding look elsewhere. Access to camping is great, people working on and riding on the trails are great, upkeep is great- but if I drove 5 hours I'd be dissappointed. Not trying to be a dick, just don't come looking for hair rasing technical challenges.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Well, thanks again. Is there an overview map of all the trails and their relationship to each other, the campgrounds, etc.? It may be on the bmcc site, but I haven't come across it yet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    There is lots of info and maps here. Note that Warrior Creek now has much more than 7.5 miles. the loop alone is ~11.5. The campgrounds are closed for the winter. Bandits will open up just in time for 6WC!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluckin' Hyde
    What sort of riding do you and your friends enjoy? The Wilkes trails are fabulous if you enjoy fast and flowy, tsali-esque riding. They keep a big smile on your face, and are so nicely planned and put together i constantly find myself pushing faster and faster on them. If you are seeking technical riding look elsewhere. Access to camping is great, people working on and riding on the trails are great, upkeep is great- but if I drove 5 hours I'd be dissappointed. Not trying to be a dick, just don't come looking for hair rasing technical challenges.
    I've never been to Tsali. I'll have to put that on the list. Anyway, I put it to the other two guys I ride with. There are a lot of trails left in Virginia that we need to visit, but after some good climbing at Carvins Cove in Roanoke, VA a couple of weeks ago and Davis, WV this past Spring, it sounded like they were down for some fast and flowy NC trails in the Spring. We'll probably head back to the trails in the mountains of western VA in the Fall. We'd be fine with getting lots of miles under our tires, checking out new areas, camping, and just having fun.

If anyone has recommendations for other areas in NC that are worth the trip, but within about a 5 hour drive from the Richmond, VA area, I'd love to hear about 'em.

Members who have read this thread: 0