Kerr Lake State Park- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Kerr Lake State Park

I'll be heading down to this area for some camping with the GF and friends of her's. Is there any good riding nearby? I tend towards more all mountain riding than xc. Thanks.

pronounced may-duh
    I've never been there so I don't know. But I've heard there are trails in Danville VA. But that looks kinda far.

Now if you were camping at the Kerr Scott Dam then you'd have a tun of great trails to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, if you're talking about Kerr Scott Dam/Resevoir their are tons of trails right there. I just got back from a weekend of riding there. I camped at Bandit's Roost and rode right from my campsite. The OVT (Overmountain Victory Trail) trailhead is right at the entrance to Bandit's Roost. Ride that 6 miles to the dam/visitor's center. Cross over the dam and ride the 7 miles of Dark Mtn. Back track your way back to camp.

For more singletrack miles, ride or drive down to Warrior Creek Campground - about 4 miles or so west of Bandit's Roost on 268. At Warrior Creek Campground there is a 12 mile loop of singletrack. This is where the 6hrs. of Warrior Creek race is held.

This past weekend was my first time there. The trails are well identified and maintained. The terrain is nothing too technical, but very fun in the way that the trail is routed. I'd consider everything XC, no AM to be found. Lots of flowy swoopy trails - up/down/bermed turns left and right. I rode everything but Dark Mtn. The thunderstorms that rolled through on Saturday afternoon ended riding for the rest of the weekend.

Check out Brushy Mountain Bicyclists Club website for more info, and links to maps, etc.

Members who have read this thread: 0