Just visited Black Mountain and Asheville!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

... and if we just ... Just visited Black Mountain and Asheville!

I didn't have a bike, but thought I'd share...

Here is an email I sent to friends/family:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://picasaweb.google.com/deanharr...eat=directlink

Usually, I plan a lot, research...then do something.

Well, I got paid and it had rained for days here. I wanted to get away and see some damn MOUNTAINS.

Decided to go west and see where I wanted to stop. I stopped in Black Mountain which was the setting in a book I read recently.

After checking into a hotel I grabbed some pamphlets in the lobby to decide what to do the rest of the day and Sunday until noon. It was already 2PM.

Went to Asheville and took a Trolley tour which was 2hrs. It was great. Weather was great if a bit cool. Forgot my regular camera though so Asheville pics are with the new Droid X phone...

I fell in love with the place! It was somewhat crowded but still relaxed. Definitely a contender for when I find a computer job next year!

I was going to go Zip Lining Sunday morning, but the weather didn't look good at all. 50% chance of rain and clouds early...so the forecasts stated.

Instead, I decided to go to Mount Mitchell State Park which has the highest elevation east of the Mississippi. 6,684 feet!

That also allowed me to drive 40mi or so on the Blue Ridge Parkway which I had wanted to do. It took over an hour from Black Mountain to get there. Driving UP through the clouds then looking down at the clouds was pretty cool!

Driving back down I was in neutral most of the time and rode the brakes all the way down. In a good car it would be fun...in my car, well...it was "exciting" for all the wrong reasons with switchbacks galore.

Luckily, I got 10 minutes before the peak started to cloud up. You see in my pics- the clouds filling the area. That was neat.

It wasn't so neat that I had about 30ft visibility for 15 minutes on the way down. :-)

A highlight was some REALLLYYYYY good spare ribs from a well rated BBQ place just down the block from the hotel.

It took 6hrs to get there and I only had a little while there...it was worth it! I'll go back when I get more time.

Will take better pics next time.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Any of you guys who live there or in Western NC...I envy you!

I can't wait to take another trip out that way.
    Regards,

Dean

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    Dean,

I am glad you enjoyed your trip. The "Asheville" area is awesome.

Our climate is great, the people are friendly (mostly), and for being such a small town we have alot of Great entertainment and dinning. The whole "50% chance of rain" that is usually the forecast but due to the Mountains it all depends on where you are if it will rain or not.

For the Out-Door enthusiast I don't believe there is a better place to live. We have lakes for summer water fun, we get snow and have Mountains for Skiing, we have lots of parks for camping, hiking and MTB (of course). Also We have "White Water" for rafting.

The only thing we don't have is Bike Lanes to let our active habitants get around!
    Fat-n00b

KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.