Jocassee Gorges - who has ridden in here? Dirt roads?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Jocassee Gorges - who has ridden in here? Dirt roads?

Getting the adventure bug and been poring over my maps. Who's ridden in Jocassee Gorges in SC? Appears to be quite a bit of gravel/dirt/secondary roads throughout. Not looking to shred the gnar gnar, bro brah, just interested in getting out there and maybe some bikepacking.

Anyone?
    Last edited by Lithified; 06-14-2018 at 03:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Getting the adventure bug and been pouring over my maps. Who's ridden in Jocassee Gorges in SC? Appears to be quite a bit of gravel/dirt/secondary roads throughout. Not looking to shred the gnar gnar, bro brah, just interested in getting out there and maybe some bikepacking.

Anyone?
    I have. Steep AF washed out gravel roads. Last ride 2 weeks ago we hit Musterground via Bad Creek hydro access. 27 miles, 6200+ feet of climbing. Bring a FS bike. You'll get sketchy on a HT and it will eat a cross bike for lunch. Planning another ride in Jocassee Gorges proper, Horsepasture Rd, next time it's too wet to ride singletrack. Be aware, ATVs have access to the area certain times of the year, and they come a hauling around the corners.

https://www.strava.com/activities/16...S&v=1528062430

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    I have. Steep AF washed out gravel roads. Last ride 2 weeks ago we hit Musterground via Bad Creek hydro access. 27 miles, 6200+ feet of climbing. Bring a FS bike. You'll get sketchy on a HT and it will eat a cross bike for lunch. Planning another ride in Jocassee Gorges proper, Horsepasture Rd, next time it's too wet to ride singletrack. Be aware, ATVs have access to the area certain times of the year, and they come a hauling around the corners.

https://www.strava.com/activities/16...S&v=1528062430

Sweet lawdy. Horsepasture just as bad, e.g. CX a bad idea there too? I got the enduro sled and a 38mm CX'er...

mtbr member
    It depends. If DNR has recently resurfaced some of the roads, possibly. But usually they use large gravel. Often, sections get washed out quickly after heavy rain due to the steep grades. In addition, many of the 'roads' behind the red gates, which are never opened, never get gravel and can be overgrown during spring and summer. After this last ride, I decided never to take a HT again. I have 1.9"s on it, for reference. You can hit 40+ mph down hill on many sections. That, combined with either loose gravel, or washed out holes in the road, make it a wise choice to have as much cushion as possible.

Aside from all this, however, this place is remote and pristine. There are waterfalls you can ride, then hike, to; spectacular views from the ridges in winter; and the sense of being 'out there' in the wilderness. If you can endure the climbs, I recommend it.

You could even access the area from WNC and have someone pick you up at Shooting Tree Ridge access area if you wanted a weekend bike packing trip. You can probably get 80 miles if you want.
    Sweet lawdy. Horsepasture just as bad, e.g. CX a bad idea there too? I got the enduro sled and a 38mm CX'er...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Getting the adventure bug and been pouring over my maps. Who's ridden in Jocassee Gorges in SC? Appears to be quite a bit of gravel/dirt/secondary roads throughout. Not looking to shred the gnar gnar, bro brah, just interested in getting out there and maybe some bikepacking.

Anyone?
    Auger Hole Trail in Gorges State Park seems ideal for a quick overnight. About 7 miles down to a new campsite on the Toxaway River. Its mostly all downhill to get there so you could carry a 12 pack with you as long as you drank it all or left some trail magic because Iíd sure as hell not want to ride one more ounce than neccesary out of there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Iíve been in that area a decent amount. Iíd recommend picking up Pisgah Map Companyís Blue Wall map for reference. In this zone any road shown as gated isnít really suitable for riding....ask me how I know. Iíll second what Tim said. Bad creek is MTB territory, Iíve done it on a gravel bike, then told everyone Iíve talked to not to do it.
    Diamondback Mission 4
    Cannondale: Perp, SuperSix
    Tomac Buckshot SS
    BMC Speedfox

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomac18 View Post
    Iíve been in that area a decent amount. Iíd recommend picking up Pisgah Map Companyís Blue Wall map for reference. In this zone any road shown as gated isnít really suitable for riding....ask me how I know. Iíll second what Tim said. Bad creek is MTB territory, Iíve done it on a gravel bike, then told everyone Iíve talked to not to do it.
    That's exactly the map I was oogling over. Good deal. That's a bummer it's all so non-bike-fun....but I get it. I wanna ride down to Double Springs and camp, looks incredible, remote, and right on the edge of the water. But it's gated....haha.

Thanks for the intel, guys.

mtbr member
    That's exactly the map I was oogling over. Good deal. That's a bummer it's all so non-bike-fun....but I get it. I wanna ride down to Double Springs and camp, looks incredible, remote, and right on the edge of the water. But it's gated....haha.

That map is missing stuff. Give me until the weekend, and I'll get you a georeferenced Jocassee map that has much more.

mtbr member

It'll be the map on page 2 of this PDF. I'm going to add a geospatial layer so it can be used in Avenza. Free. The first page has some important info about camping and such, so worth a read as well.

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/ml_images/docs/jocasseemap.pdf

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Here's a Relive track I did in the Jeep from Gorges state park. We drove across the Horsepasture bridge to the NC/SC state line and turned around at the locked gate. We then back tracked to another open road that took us down to the lake. It should give you some idea of what the roads and elevation is like. There's some great spots for camping, especially by the bridge and down by the lake. Not sure if I would want to pedal out of there, I was in 4 low crawling up some of the road with very large gravel rock. Depends on what you're looking for.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1404736622

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Sounds like a good place for an e-mtb...
    Friends of DuPont supporter