It's just Bent Creek......- Mtbr.com
    Gabe.....

It's just Bent Creek......

Here's why I love this place.........30 miles of pure fun!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It's just Bent Creek......-bc-trail-day-thad-n-gabe.jpg  

"Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    I know i would love having that in my back yard! (green w/ envy!)

pronounced may-duh
    You can certainly get a big ride at BC. It may not have the tech but it's got all the miles and elevation you'd need.

Cause I can clean everything, a ride at BC makes me feel like I'm totally on top of my game. On the flip side, a trip to Pisgah proper has me wondering why I'm such a spaz? But then I just blame it on the bike.

Looking forward to some after work rides now that the weather is good and the daylight is longer. I haven't been to BC since November!

mtbr member
    Ain't a thing wrong w/ those trails. Nice one!
    My one says BRAP!

eschewing obfuscation
    bent creek IS great. anyone who says otherwise is missing out; there's no doubt that most trails of pisgah are "better," but that doesn't mean b.c. isn't worthy. of course farlow or butter or squirrel are superior, in nearly every way, to sidehill, greenslick and ingles. bass ale is better than miller high life, but that doesn't mean miller isn't worth (never mind: poor analogy).
    here's what i got in today:
    my house (west asheville) to rice pinnacle (8.5 miles); to the parkway (via sidehill and bent creek road); down sidehill; up greenslick; down greenslick; up sidehill (the other one); down ingles field gap; gravel to rice pinnacle; road home. 37.98 miles, 4200ft of climbing, never got off the bike (17mi. on road); 3hrs.15min. great freakin' ride, i say. so what that some of it meant dodging farmer's marketers, waffle housers, etc. i never got in a car; was in the woods (mostly), saw some happy runners, dog walkers and riders having a blast in the rain, good views (between no leaves and the clearcuts, it's hard to argue with bent creek viewsheds, however hammered the forest may be). i'd post my "ride profile" like smoke bikes, but i always get an error message from mtbr upon trying.
    in any event: thanks for posting about your ride and bent creek's virtues. folks who live in asheville and "only ride pisgah" burn too much gas, in my opinion, and are missing out on a great local playground, however imperfect it may be.
    "Bikes have wheels." -Noam Chomsky

mtbr member
    Is a trail necessarily "better" just because it is harder?
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

eschewing obfuscation
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike
    Is a trail necessarily "better" just because it is harder?
    certainly not. for me, a "better" trail assumes factors like: few people (wilderness feel); aesthetics; terrain quality; rigor; etc. that's why, all things being equal (such as travel time), squirrel gap, for example, is always better than anything in bent creek. for my girlfriend, "better" trails mean something different entirely. i love bent creek b/c i can ride there from my house in a short time and still have a blast, finding challenge (and, typically, few people) by pushing the pace and venturing off the commonly used trails.

what makes a trail "better" for you, mikeridesabike?
    here's another question: was it you giving that gal a hard time about not wanting to drive to icycle in the snow this winter? another question: are you racing warrior creek? what will make it a good race for you? are you ready to eat some humble pie... she just might be there...

mtbr member
    Actually, I will be at Warrior Creek, and a lot of women will kick my butt - a lot of men too, and maybe a few dogs. I certainly didn't give anyone a hard time about not driving to a race in the snow. My goal for WC is to finish in the top 300.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

eschewing obfuscation
    Actually, I will be at Warrior Creek, and a lot of women will kick my butt - a lot of men too, and maybe a few dogs. I certainly didn't give anyone a hard time about not driving to a race in the snow. My goal for WC is to finish in the top 300.

sorry, mike. must've mistaken you for someone else. your humor and humility are great! the backstory on the mistaken identity: some dude went off, on this forum, on a woman who was bummed to be losing her entry fee to icycle b/c she didn't want to brave the roads in a blizzard. although i lost my entry fee for that reason and didn't mind, she was bummed and rightfully so. she posted her disappointment - appropriately, in my opinion - and got blasted by someone for it. i thought that guy was you. clearly i was wrong. looking forward to seeing you out there, whether you're going fast or not. good luck finishing in the top 300; your ambition is great!

mtbr member
    Ahhh finally some Bent Creek love. That poor place always seems to be treated like the arm pit of the biking scene in WNC. Asheville seems to take for granted that gem of a place. We also seem to forget that all of Bent Creek is part of Pisgah. So in my books all of Pisgah ROCKS!

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Just remember....95% of mountain bikers would love to have a BC-level trail system and they don't.

mtbr member

The question was?

How can we ride every trail ( single track) in Bent Creek trying to loop it all together with as little backtracking as possible. We missed a few short trails and J-girl ( Janet L.) did a couple more miles than Gabe and i did.
    If we would have included all the forest service roads i bet we would have around 40-45 miles.
    Hmmmm...we are very,very lucky folks to have this gem of a place to ride....

Its got what plants crave
    Quote Originally Posted by kkjellquist
    Just remember....95% of mountain bikers would love to have a BC-level trail system and they don't.
    I am one of those people.

Having ANYTHING like BC near my house would be astoundingly fun.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by kkjellquist
    Amen to that brother! As a recent transplant, and with only one Bent Creek ride under my belt (darn winter storms!), but having ridden far and wide across this country, I can tell you that though BC doesn't necessarily contain the most technical features, it is certainly worth its weight in gold. And remember, you can double the trail mileage and the fun if you ride the other direction :-)

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 44gnats
    sorry, mike. must've mistaken you for someone else. your humor and humility are great! the backstory on the mistaken identity: some dude went off, on this forum, on a woman who was bummed to be losing her entry fee to icycle b/c she didn't want to brave the roads in a blizzard. although i lost my entry fee for that reason and didn't mind, she was bummed and rightfully so. she posted her disappointment - appropriately, in my opinion - and got blasted by someone for it. i thought that guy was you. clearly i was wrong. looking forward to seeing you out there, whether you're going fast or not. good luck finishing in the top 300; your ambition is great!
    No Stang, that was Broussard calling me a "Sally" for not making out there.

Official Cooler Inspector
    Glad you made the Mike Connection, because you really want to be his new BF... he makes a great Gumbo. Can't ride a bike worth squat though. Woot to 299!!!!

I'm seeing a possible Dead Shell Fish Ride in Bent Creek through the current snow.
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

Beer drinking biker!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snototter
    Ahhh finally some Bent Creek love. That poor place always seems to be treated like the arm pit of the biking scene in WNC. Asheville seems to take for granted that gem of a place. We also seem to forget that all of Bent Creek is part of Pisgah. So in my books all of Pisgah ROCKS!

Well said. No matter where life and my rides take me Bent Creek has a special place in my heart
    DirtyMtnBikeHer
    I have a passion for all things dirt!
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMtnBikeHer

Well said. No matter where life and my rides take me Bent Creek has a special place in my heart
    Agree. I consider myself very fortunate to live equal distance between BC & Trace Ridge...& work in Fletcher...can be at either trailhead in less than 20min straight from work...hard to put a price on that....

d00bie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    I am one of those people.

Having ANYTHING like BC near my house would be astoundingly fun.
    Wha Hoo, 1st post lol.
    Bent Creek is a whopping 15mins from the house, Mills river is 15Minutes from the house, Davidson River is 25mins. Gotta love it!

mtbr member
    admit we are totally spoiled... Got out last week with the time change for almost a three hour ride after work.... Truely great every time I get out there... awesome workout, and the trails are very good, just as many have said, not as tech as some of the others,but I will take it any day.

Official Cooler Inspector
    Dead Shell Fish Ride for June 12 - how many conflicts? No "R" in the month and I'm too busy to research. There's a Naked Bike Ride, but I'm not planning on going to London.
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'll be right there with you buddy! See you next Saturday!

Members who have read this thread: 0