Issaqueena conditions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Issaqueena conditions?

Looking like the Asheville Brevard area is going to be out of commission, trail riding wise, for at least another week or two.

I know y'all have gotten a ton of moisture too, but rain dries up a lot faster than melting snow followed by rain combined with freeze-thaw cycles.

How's it look?

mtbr member
    Ah yes, the time of year when our Asheville friends start heading south on I-26 in search of trails! We got about 3" of snow on the south end of Spartanburg, so Croft should be rideable this weekend. I can't speak for Issaqueena though.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    Looking like the Asheville Brevard area is going to be out of commission, trail riding wise, for at least another week or two.

I know y'all have gotten a ton of moisture too, but rain dries up a lot faster than melting snow followed by rain combined with freeze-thaw cycles.

How's it look?
    I haven't been yet, but by the little to no snow we got down here, I'd say Sunday would be great. A few friends say most of it is Ok. Saturday is probably a wash out due to the rain. Typically Issaqueena drains well, and plenty of leaves and pine needles cover the tread in the fall/winter. Trails to avoid during prolonged periods of wet weather: Triple Creek, Rocky. The DH course and Holly Springs is off limits currently due to logging operations, and you probably want to avoid Rapids Trail in the winter (wet crossing, no dry option) and when water levels are high. I plan to be there Sunday morning, so hit me up if you head down.

mtbr member
    I rode there before this current precipitation event and things were great, Collarbone, Wounded Knee, Chainbreaker, and the Lake trail were ideal but it's a shame the DH trail is all but done...Without the wooden features it would still be a great trail but the flow is gone.
    Think SAMBA is doing a ride at Dairy Ridge on Saturday, great trails and awesome group.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I spoke to the folks at Pleasant Ridge yesterday and they said things were in good shape, but the group ride on Sun was cancelled because they closed the park until Monday due to conditions, so I guess it deteriorated with the rain. I'll be heading down there next week to try and get some time in.

Any other advice? I was looking at Croft, which seems far enough away to not be impacted by the snow, and Panthertown. The latter of which seems unlikely but I figured I'd ask, anyway.

If anything, this time off the bike shows me I need to change my diet. I get away with it normally because I ride and don't feel like crap from eating garbage. Now, I am just eating garbage and feel like a fat lard.

mtbr member
    At this point only Issaqueena is open.

Pleasant Ridge got snow. Closed.

Paris Mountain still has snow. Closed.

FATS - Closed

Harbison - Closed

Stumphouse MAY be open. But there's only 6 miles, so...

mtbr member
    Spartanburg got hammered with snow. I'd guess Croft is closed or probably should be if it's not.

mtbr member
    Jocassee Gorges just announced all roads are now open. A few trees down, but everything is accessible if you're up for a gravel grind.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Dusting off the road bike and will hit the parkway this weekend. The BRP is currently closed to vehicles so maybe biking will be alright...better than nothing.

Also I agree with Adodero, to much beer and bad food, feeling kinda sluggish

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    Spartanburg got hammered with snow. I'd guess Croft is closed or probably should be if it's not.
    Parts of Spartanburg did not get that much snow...Croft did not, but it will be really muddy. The rain event 2 weeks ago came over the creek onto the trail and it has really yet to dry out. And it has been precipitating steadily (not heavily the whole time) for 18 hours now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pryde1 View Post
    Dusting off the road bike and will hit the parkway this weekend. The BRP is currently closed to vehicles so maybe biking will be alright...better than nothing.

Also I agree with Adodero, to much beer and bad food, feeling kinda sluggish
    +1 on the beer plus food minus riding equals dysregulation. Looks like even though the BuRP is closed they're plowing it? Did a quick hike from 191 up to the HTR intersection and it had all been cleared. Not sure how far up they've worked tho'.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnybear View Post
    Parts of Spartanburg did not get that much snow...Croft did not, but it will be really muddy. The rain event 2 weeks ago came over the creek onto the trail and it has really yet to dry out. And it has been precipitating steadily (not heavily the whole time) for 18 hours now.
    I walked my dogs at Croft today and it was a mess. We got a lot of rain Friday.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller