Injured cyclist fundraiser- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Injured cyclist fundraiser

www.helpbradandcarrie.com
    Folks,
    Brad Smith was severly injured in a cycling accident on June 1st and has been in Memorial Mission neurotrauma since then. He is being transferred to Atlanta today for 2 months of re-hab.
    A fundraiser is being held July 10th at Fletcher Park from 5-8pm under the pavilion and will be a silent auction with goodies from many local shops,clubs and individuals. There will be a donation jar also along with a "bike parts garage sale".
    There is also a free concert that evening with a smoking hot blues band The Galen Kipar Project.
    I need your used good condition bike parts that are laying around cluttering up your garage that you would be willing to donate. Ive got lots of my own parts i will be putting up.
    I can pick up items from you @ Rice Pinnacle parking lot any afternoon or wk-end anytime. You can also pm me here and i will be more than happy to make other arrangements. You can also bring stuff to the event site around 4:00pm on the 10th...
    Brad and Carrie have a very long,life changing road ahead of them so come on out, buy something,donate something,bid on something..
    Some of the local clubs will provide "pot-luck" food and there will be food vendors with the concert. The concert was already scheduled and is not a part of the fundraiser, it just worked out this way. There will be a very minimal charge to get into the fundraiser area and 100% of money collected will go directly to Brad and Carrie.
    Thanks y`all...Thad
    Last edited by thadthetroll; 06-29-2010 at 06:59 AM.

mtbr member

So folks..

The fundraiser event is coming together with huge support from many local businesses.
    Liberty Bikes, I-9 Wheels, Rei, Motion Makers,Bio-Wheels,Hearns,Mills River Mushroom Farm, Carolina Fatz, FootRX, J`us Running, Chi Running, Rush, Cross Fit, CTS, Ultimate Direction, Sycamore Cycles, Ski-Country Sports, Doc-Cheys, Barley`s, Fletcher Parks, Fast-Pivot, Have-a-Cup of Coffee and many local restaurants and individuals contributing and the list is growing every day.
    I hesitate in listing places as i don`t want to leave folks out and i know i have so apologies to anyplace ive left off. I will update the list as the week progresses.
    It is very cool indeed to see such a huge outpouring of compassion for one of our own.
    There will not be a "garage sale" of used bike parts though only the silent auction where you can snag some really good stuff at a bargain.
    So even if you do not or can not donate or bid on something please come on out for some free music and show your support for Brad.
    Last edited by thadthetroll; 07-06-2010 at 11:37 AM.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    I can be at the fund raiser, I'll bring some stuff too. What happened to Brad anyway? Don't know him, just curious if it was woods or pavement that got him.

Gabe.....
    As I understand it...he was riding down past the the parking lot at the golf course in Biltmore Forest (road ride) and a car spooked him pulling out of the lot and he went down super hard...... with a very bad outcome.
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

mtbr member

More info..

Brad Smith and his wife Carrie moved to Asheville about 1 year ago so Carrie could take a job at CTS( Carmicheal Training Systems). Brad is a P.E. teacher and has been a substitute teacher in the Brevard school system and a part time trainer at the Rush Gym in South Asheville.
    Both Brad and Carrie are what i would consider accomplished marathoners and tri-atheletes. They also mountain bike and are about 30 years old.
    Brad and Carrie are in Atlanta for 2 months for re-hab work,etc to get their life going forward again.
    It is really awesome to see the total local support coming together to help relative "new-comers" with a tough situation. As the saying goes" Except for the grace of god, their goes me". I think we all have had crashes whether woods,pavement or wherever that could very easily have found us in the same situation.
    So y`all bring a few bucks and come shopping @ Flecher Park...there will be bargains..
    Thanks, Thad

mtbr member

bump

bump

mtbr member

Some of the "stuff"

Here are some items that will be auctioned...
    Set of I-9 Wheels
    Chris King bottom Bracket
    2 Bikes..city type 1 from Ski Country, 1 from an Individual
    Seira Designs sleeping bag
    Kelty Tent
    Fuel Belt running packs..several from Motion Makers and Jus Running
    Co-Motion nite running waist belt/light from Jus Running
    2 sets custom orthotics from Foot Rx
    3 bike fits,3 lactate threshold tests from CTS
    $50.00 Urban Burrito gift card
    $50.00 Luella`s gift card
    Jerseys and cool swag from Liberty,Sycamore,Motion Makers
    Gift Cards, Tune ups from Carolina Fatz,Andy Grabowski,Bio-wheels, Hearns
    Gift card from Doc Chey`s
    A charcoal Smoker
    Some smaller items for Raffle
    Entry into Lake Logan Triatholon
    Backpacking equipment 2 day "rental" from rei
    Apologies for leaving folks off the item list that have been so generous in donotions for Brad..
    Come on out and do some shopping..get some bargains
    Again, apologies for missing items and folks that have been so generous in support.

Gabe.....
    There will also be a few items hand crafted by me for Brad............
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Injured cyclist fundraiser-s5030696.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

mtbr member

Many Thanks

Thanks to all the sponsors and folks that came out and were so generous and helpful to making this fundraiser a huge success.
    The amount raised for Brad was just shy of $5,000.00..cool

Members who have read this thread: 0