I think I have found the perfect tire!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

I think I have found the perfect tire!

Anyone else tried the IRC Mibro @ 2.1. Reasonably light (515 grams), aggressive tread, high volume, good side knobs and they are CHEAP ($19 from Jenson)

Just switched my single speed over to them and was really impressed with how they handled. Maybe it was the buff tacky dirt jump course that Bent Creek has turned into but these things railed. Def. had my quickest decent of Green's Lick and this was on my SS hardtail when I am normally on a FS bike. Durability is my only concern. Already have a couple side knobs that look like they are coming off.

Wanted to hear others opinions on the tire if you have tried them and share my stoke about finding a good, cheap tire for our area.

mtbr member
    That's good to know. I'm always in search of the perfect tread. I came down here with my favorites the continental vertical pros in a 2.3. They're good but I wanted to try something different so I got on some maxxis Ignitors, they're in a 2.35 and very similar to the veritcals, but seem to do better in the mud. Now I've got a straight up mud tire in the rear which is worthless in the buff conditions in bent creek, but really nice in the loose/mud that's in the rest of pisgah and they're the best climbing tire I've used, they rarely spin out. The trade off is crazy rolling resistance, a high tread pattern makes it squirelly on hard packed trails... that one is actually a discontinued continental model and I can't remember the name...

I just picked up what I hope will be my official Pisgah front tire, the WTB Timberwolf again in a 2.3, it borders on overkill but hey I have an 80mm fork and ride a SS as well, I'll take the extra kush factor please. Now I'm looking for a good race tire set up, I may just stick with the Maxxis Ignitors.

Does anyone have any tire suggestions for the up coming Knob Scorcher race? I hear the trails are very buff.
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    plume- we've got Tsali tires generally dialed in. Conditions are pretty similar to BC, so think about it that way. There's a secret team weapon tire if it's been raining that you've probably wondered why is in stock. Think narrow....
    Mike

Arrrghhh!!!

So what's the secret?

I hate secrets-- wrapped gifts and the like make me crazy: -- I want to know now!
    I'm looking to switch myself, and heard good things about the Nevegals but I'd prefer something a bit lighter, so any feedback here would be great.
    As for the Mibro's, how do they shed mud and climb in the wet?

Slightly askew
    I recently put mibros (2.2 tubeless on singletracks with stans) on my coiler primo and was blown away. They have excelled in all terrain from Tsali to Pisgah. I loved the Kenda Nevegals for about 2 days till the side knobs started to shed and flat constantly. I thought the IRC's were a bit small but they have done better than the" popular" tires i've tried. Im 220 with gear and have about 150 miles on them with normal wear. Price point has them cheap as well as Backcoutry in Pisgah.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    My Tire for Pisgah: The Nevegal. Perfect for all conditions it throws ya

Buff Trail Race Tire(dry): Kenda Small Block Eights. Lightening fast, Sticks like a Gecko's Feet in the corners. I'll be on them at the Cohutta Epic 35

Wet/muddy race tire: Maxis Ignitors

Jeremy

mtbr member

I've forgotten what it's like to ride, but...

I'll agree with mr. plume up there, I've seen the timberwolf lock in in conditions that you wouldn't believe. I downhill with comfort with these set up tubeless on crossmax enduros with some STANS at 30 PSI. Mind blowing difference in ride comfort and a good boost in confidence in squirrely conditions.

Race tires, I have previously used the Mutanoraptor with some success, and the continental 2.1 Explorer Pro and the 2.3 Vert Pro (essentially same tire design) that worked well enough in the BC and Tsali-like conditions. I even tried a michelin wild gripper 1.95, and that flatted about 8000 times the first ride (but I, like the fellow above, ran about 220 with a full camelback MULE. Panracer Cinder 2.25 was okay, but for the weight I'll take the Timberwolf any day.

My next step is the maxxis ignitor. A bit more knobby than the continentals that I liked, and will probably stick with the UST 2.35/ 2.1 set up for the long days in the woods.

For now, I'll stick to looking at the grips on my crutches. You know they don't make ODIs for these things?

mtbr member
    The secret is:
    Conti Cross -Country Pro 1.5's. Best muddy hardpack tire evah. When Conti made this in a 1.9 (like, 12 years ago- it was what Tinker won the World Cup on, which I thought was cool at the time), it was my go to tire.
    For daily use, the aforementioned Timberwolf in front, Nevegal in back is a killer combination. I also really like the Conti Gravity Pro's, the GF has used them for the last year and a half set up with Stan's on tubeless rims with zero!! issues. I've heard lots of good things about the Ignitor's and am going to race them on the 29er this year.
    Mike out.

Its got what plants crave
    I ran Green's Lick earlier this week... I was running 2.35 Maxxis High Rollers in the UST flavor. Hooked up AWESOME.. what a killer trail... everything was so dry, smooth, and fast.

Apr 2006
    Panaracer fire fr 2.4. I know, they aren't the lightest tires out there, but for those of us who can run them, they are incredible.

Its got what plants crave
    I'm waiting for Panaracer to come out with the Fire FR in a tubeless version.. I'll be all over it like ants on candy!

Members who have read this thread: 0