I need a new light- Mtbr.com
    Big Mac

I need a new light

The battery on my 8+ year old L&M arc has taken a crap. And upon looking at replacement batteries, I've realized I'm better off just replacing the entire light. So for those of you who ride at night, what are you using and do you like it? Thanks

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Before a new light, check with Batteries Plus or similar local battery shop about rebuilding the battery
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Niterider 2200 Enduro. I have one for my bar and one for my helmet. I also have a Lumina 650 aimed down on my handlebar. Depends on how much you want to spend. How many lumens was your old light?

mtbr member

I need a new light

I have 2 1600 lumen magic shines one on bar one on helmet and also a back up 1000 lumen just in case. They are bright as hell cost effective.
    Here's how bright they are. 10 pm in the middle of no where in a national forest. Could see just like it was day light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Mac

I need a new light

My ARC, was 675 lumens and helmet mounted. It was generally adequate for Pisgah. I looked at magic shine and I like the lumen/price ratio, but I'm curious about the durability. Are the housings aluminum or plastic? I also considered a battery rebuild but given the light and batteries age, combined with the old technology of both, I figured my money was better spent on a new rig altogether.

mtbr member
    I have the first gen MagicShine and it works fine still, but the electronics are shoddy- the off/on switch is non-functional, just plugging in is the only way to turn on, unplugging off. This is not confidence inspiring and I won't/ have not bought other cheap, on-line options. This light sits on my commuter full time...

I own a Cygolite Turbojet and love it. Rock solid construction, battery life still good for 3-4 hours on base setting after 3 years of use. I just bought another Cygolite (Expilion 800) and it's bright and well-constructed, but initial impressions are the light is too big for the helmet (intended use) with the self-contained battery for my tastes...also, the helmet mount required some fiddling to dial in. So, the second light is still in personal beta testing mode.

So, my ramble is that I like Cygolite products, at least partially because they are assembled in the USA and the Turbojet has been excellent for me. On the other hand, the Expilion is still being figured out and highlights, as usual, that I don't like making cycling purchases on-line- I would not have bought it if I'd held it in my hand before purchasing. So, I'd go to the LBS's, hold lights in my hand, and shop around....

Big Mac

I need a new light

Many thanks. The helmet is my preferred and only mount, so weight/size is of concern. Self contained batteries seem too heavy. I have no experience with cygolite. I'll check them out. Who's the local reseller? It seems that my hesitations concerning magic shine are well warranted? And I'm guessing their lumen numbers are greatly inflated. Gotta be.

mtbr member
    I'm using a Niterider 600 on my helmet. It works for me.
    ORAMM!!!!!

Big Mac

I need a new light

Quote Originally Posted by rocksolid View Post
    I'm using a Niterider 600 on my helmet. It works for me.
    Is that the MiNewt 600? How long are burn times?

mtbr member
    It's the MiNiewt I ride up two hours on med., and that gives off plenty of light. haven't ever had the low battery light come on. The instructions that came with it say
    High 1:30 @ 600 Lums
    Med 3:00 @ 400 Lums
    Low 4:30 @ 275 Lums
    Walk 30:00 @ 40 Lums

I've ridden around Wilsons off Hyw 181 Brown Mt area at night without any problem, and that can be pretty fast. Best part about this light is the cost.
    ORAMM!!!!!

Some Assembly Required
    Magic shine MJ-872 1600 lumens & waay cheaper AND lighter than my 7 yr old Niterider HID & brighter!! Even after buying the helmet mount w/extension cable separately it's still cheaper than most lights on the market. Love it.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I've also got a Magic Shine. I've got an 1800 lumen version - MagicShine MJ-816E. It's bright as hell. Only my second season with it, but it's been holding up so far with no complaints. It comes with thick rubber bands to mount it on the bars. You can also purchase a helmet mount separately. Mine is bar mounted and the light has a tendency to slowly start pointing at the ground if you are hitting the rough aggressively, but some grip tape will fix it. Not a big deal. Amazon reviews are mostly positive with a few people complaining about buggy electronics. The price point was worth me trying out.

http://www.amazon.com/MagicShine-MJ-...ustomerReviews

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Shartlight ftw

Some Assembly Required
    BTW - I haven't found the need to run my Magic shine light on the highest setting, I run it on 3/4" power & have yet to want for light.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    You get what you pay for with lights. I would rather spend more than break my face because of Chinese ebay crap like all the kids around here are buying these days. A friend of mine bought a "1200" lumen Chinese light on ebay. It looks like a Maglite compared to even my 650 Lumina.

Big Mac

I need a new light

I guess I'm gonna have to look at magicshine. The price is right. The niterider pro 1200 race at $175 looks nice as well. Those using magicshine, no issues to speak of?

mtbr member

I need a new light

non so far.i know a lot of guys in area that run the magic shine with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Mac

I need a new light

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    You get what you pay for with lights. I would rather spend more than break my face because of Chinese ebay crap like all the kids around here are buying these days. A friend of mine bought a "1200" lumen Chinese light on ebay. It looks like a Maglite compared to even my 650 Lumina.
    Agreed.

Rogue Exterminator
    Cheep Chinese knock offs work fine if you are budget minded.

I bought 2 Magic Shine knock offs 2 years ago and still have 1.
    The battery is wearing weak now but I have the spare from the light that broke.

I am now switching to these and so far so good and I like the better than the MS knock offs.

http://www.amazon.com/Lumen-Cycling-.../dp/B00F372RGK

I know it isn't really 5k lumens but it is as bright as any of the lights that cost 10x as much. I also know they won't last as long but for 1/10th price I don't care especially since I usually only night ride once a week during winter dlst.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    I think the whole "Cheap MagicShine/Chinese LED" vs. "expensive light" thing boils down to what you need.

Like kjlued said, if you're just riding one night ride per week and it isn't long, save some coin and get something cheap.

I need something that'll last me years, can be used day in/out, really does perform as advertised, and has a battery life that won't quit on me suddenly. I mulled all this and went with a Dinotte XML-3: made in the US, the company cares about their product, and it's done exactly what I wanted and never pissed me off/left me in the dark despite some rough conditions. It also cost a bit...

Big Mac

I need a new light

During winter months, I ride 2-3 nights a week. I like night rides. I don't need a crap ton of lumens. For years a rode with my 675 lumen arc. I was happy. It was HID and the battery chemistry was NiMh. Simple, but the damn thing was bombproof, and fool proof, which matters. I want something reliable, around 800 lumens, and easy. A helmet mount is what I prefer, so weight matters. Appreciate all the input. My search continues.

ready to ride
    I went the cheap route and got one of these. Figure if it only last me a season I am still ahead. At $20 if it fails im not going to be too upset either. I do have it matched with a magicshine 808. Its much brighter than the 808. I did pony up for a real panasonic battery pack from hunklee even it was only $30 something dollars. So far so good, plus it was easy to mount to my Bell Super.

http://www.amazon.com/Lumen-Cycling-...ee+bike+xml+u2

Like IoC said though I might use it once a week and probably not in inclement weather and it not my sole light.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

Big Mac

I need a new light

Looking at this. Xeccon Spiker1211 850 Lumen Micro LED Handlebar and Helmet Bike Light with SAMSUNG Battery BSSŪ

Support Pisgah Area Soba

Lupine Piko 4

Lupine Piko 4
    I know this light is pricey, but it has been rock solid.
    German base company and they make lights for miners.
    Motion Makers sold them last year, but I got mine from Gretna Bikes.com before Motion makers sold them. They are based out of Pittsburgh.
    Mount the battery and light to the helmet and don't even know it is on there.
    I bought mine 3 years ago and it is the 700 lumin version (1200 lumin version must be crazy bright). Plenty of light and it has a nice broad beam patter (I prefer it over a spot). My previous light was a L&M Arch as well and Battery was not worth replacing.

so far I have dropped it a few times, hit it on a couple trees and no issues. Buttons have no issues. Best part is I can run the light on low setting which would get 40hrs of burn time, plenty bright for climbing.
    Burn times are lower now getting 1.5hrs at high setting so I run low setting on climbs, but it is a small battery and they do sell larger ones with it new if you want.

Review: Lupine Piko 4 - Mtbr.com

Lupine Lighting Systems | Piko 4

Pisgah Area Sorba - Web Site Communications
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/

mtbr member
    I'm really digging the Bontrager Ion 700. Lots of bang for the buck.
    1992 Trek 800 Antelope
    2009 Haro Mary SS
    2015 Trek Stache 7
    2017 Trek Fuel EX 9