I-40 to Nashville- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

I-40 to Nashville

Hey folks,

I am traveling on Wednesday, June 9 and looking for rides to consider along I 40 from Central NC to Nashville, TN. My drive is about 8 hours and I need to be in Nashville by 6pm (ish), so I figure I can leave early morning and get in a few hours of riding along the way. I am slow but competent intermediate rider, riding an On One Summer Season and enjoy both flowing trails and technical trails and obstacles.

I will have a few hours (3-4?) to stop and ride, here are some of my thoughts:

1) Stop in Asheville and hit Bent Creek again. Ridden a couple times already. Would allow me most time on the bike due to it's close proximity to the highway. Rode Maida's best loop there a few weeks back and enjoyed it.

2) Hit other pisgah trails that are not too far off I40, such as something in North Mills area. Open for suggestions as I have not ridden here before. Judging from trailhead directions, it seems like fairly easy access from the interstate. Thoughts on that would be appreciated also.

3) Detour and ride Tsali. Never been there. Search shows very mixed reviews and comments. Adds a total of only 1 hour to the drive, according to mapquest, so feasible. Any input you have is appreciated.

4) Any other trail recommendations whether in NC or TN while traveling the interstate?

Thanks,

John
    On One Summer Season Single Speed

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    I heard there's a SICK rock garden right on the highway that you could try!
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    You can check out the Tanasi trails off highway 411...not too bad of a detour. Similar to Tsali but the climbs were a tad steeper.

Still not Pisgah but harder than Tsali at least:

http://www.imba.com/epics/tanasi.html

I guess it depends on how you are getting over to Nashville...

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Clev...784401&2v=CITY
    Last edited by dhouskee; 06-04-2010 at 11:04 AM.

Gabe.....
    I bet Tsali would seem far once you turned off of I-40 for that "hour"..........North Mills would be about 25 minutes off of I-26 and Bent Creek is about ten (as you may already know). You should consider Kitzuma just before Black Mountain but it's a little harder to navigate.
    http://www.sirbikesalot.com/entry.php?fid=264
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ok, SmokeBikes beat me to some of this but anyway,

Bent Creek is fun and if you already know your way around, that's a bonus on a trip like you are planning.

For N Mills, you might have to ride a good bit of gravel road to get to the trails. Maybe it's open now, but the road from the campground to the Trace Ridge trailhead was still gated on Mother's Day. The only other way to drive in is come from Bent Creek first. Sure, there are plenty of trials going the other direction from the campground, but those may be more of an adventure than you are looking for in your time frame.

Tsali is quite a detour from 40 (1Hr?). But June 9th is a left\right loop day and navigation is easy.

Haw Ridge Park in Oak Ridge TN isn't too far off of 40. Lots of intersections to figure out, but maybe the map for the race this weekend would help.

http://sites.google.com/site/h8rrace/

How about Kitsuma in Black Mountain NC? Can't get much closer to I40 than that.

For work I get to drive from Asheville to Birmingham AL a few times a year. No matter how many times I do it, I always burn more time than I expect to making stops like this. I still haven't stopped at Tanasi because I don't know how long it will take me trying to figure it out alone.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I guess I should re-read your OP...you have time for one stop only. Obviously you should stop in Asheville\Brevard area and ride Pisgah. Forget about Tsali or Tanasi. Bent Creek is fun, but greater Pisgah is where to go.

mtbr member
    I had forgotten about Kitsuma. Definite possibility. Would also be interested in more info on Haw Ridge outside Knoxville, pointed out by mgbst from anyone who has ridden there recently.

As for Tsali only adding an hour or so worth of driving, mapquest takes me from bryson city in a generally northwest direction towards Nashville, rather than back to 40. Drive time straight to Nashville = 8hr 25min. With detour to bryson city 9hr 43 min.

Really now looking at the two above, Kitsuma and Haw ridge. Kitsuma is just before my halfway point, Haw ridge would give just 2.5 hours or so drive after I rode, which would make me more comfortable exploring a bit more...

Open for further comment or discussions.

John

mtbr member
    OK, so after much deliberation between me and my "evil twin brother" (no one else can hear him... ) I have a plan to drive to Oak Ridge, TN and ride at Haw Ridge. I have read some trail descriptions and watched some vids and looked at the map.

Taking into account that:
    1) It is easy to get my wife to head to the NC mountains for a weekend, so I can get to the Asheville/Brevard trails easier than TN trails.
    2) Good comments above about things being farther off the highway than expected and navigating new trails being harder than expected.
    3) I will be alone, so some of the gnarlier trails out there, at my skill level, should probably wait until someone is around to call the ambulance...

I am leaving NC tomorrow at 0darkthirty and will ride Haw Ridge around lunch for a few hours, then hit the highway for Nashville.

Thanks for your input. I'll post up some comments about the trails when I return next week.

John

mtbr member
    So all my planning gone to waste! Rain as soon as I hit Tenn. Hopefully local Nashville trails will dry out enough to ride while I am here...

Members who have read this thread: 0