Hunters on Bent Creek trails?- Mtbr.com

Hunters on Bent Creek trails?

This is my first season riding during the hunting season and am curious about the rules for hunters. Basically my experience this past Sunday was, to me, unusual.

Finishing my ride I was returning to Rice Pinnacle via Hard Times connector and can upon a father and two sons walking the trail with rifles at the ready. The youngest had the muzzle of his rifle pointed across the trail, towards my wheels, as I passed. Passing by I made the comment the muzzle should be pointed off the trail. I never heard their response, if they made one.

What I'm wondering is if hunters are allowed on the trails. I thought there was no hunting within a specified distance from signed trails.

Just seems odd that hunters would actually attempt to hunt in such a well traveled area and so close to hikers, bikers, and horse riders. Not against hunters personally but this does not seem like the safest scenario.

Interested in hearing your opinions and experiences.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

drunken pirate
    Unless it is in a posted "safety zone" hunters are free to hunt where ever they like in Bent Creek and the rest of Pisgah. I''ve seen them in a blind just yards off a trail in Bent Creek. It doesn't make sense for them to hunt that close to such heavily used trails but if they want to sit there and try they are free to do so...

BUT there is no hunting on public lands on Sunday's. I would have called Wildlife Enforcement.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
    Unless it is in a posted "safety zone" hunters are free to hunt where ever they like in Bent Creek and the rest of Pisgah. I''ve seen them in a blind just yards off a trail in Bent Creek. It doesn't make sense for them to hunt that close to such heavily used trails but if they want to sit there and try they are free to do so...

BUT there is no hunting on public lands on Sunday's. I would have called Wildlife Enforcement.
    I thought the same thing about Sundays. In Va there was no hunting on sundays and I thought that as well. But last Sunday we also saw hunters in Bent Creek, and I assume they wouldn't risk poaching in such a populated area.

The group I was riding with informed that hunting on Sundays is apparently allowed in Bent Creek. We just rang our bells like crazy as we road past them.

mtbr member
    Im glad Im not the only who thinks hunting near a bike trail is a bad idea.

this happened this year:

FayObserver.com - Joggers unaware of hunters along Fort Bragg trail

I think hunting so close to a bike trail is a tragedy waiting to happen.

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by TKazNC View Post
    Just seems odd that hunters would actually attempt to hunt in such a well traveled area and so close to hikers, bikers, and horse riders. Not against hunters personally but this does not seem like the safest scenario.
    My experience is this: You will encounter more hunters within X yards of a trailhead/parked car than you will further out. That X distance depends on the hunter, but it's not far -- think about it, would you want to drag a bear or deer carcass out of the woods?

Keep this in mind when picking Saturday routes especially -- areas like Yellow Gap on 1206, 476 & 5018 (Horse Cove Road), all of Bent Creek, etc. are very easily accessible by car and offer relatively remote hunting options just off the road. Saturdays are particularly "crowded" with, ahem, weekend-warrior types.

Really, you haven't lived until you've climbed 5018 on Doe Day ...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dresdenlock View Post

this happened this year:

FayObserver.com - Joggers unaware of hunters along Fort Bragg trail

conspiracy theory

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crossboy View Post
    My experience is this: You will encounter more hunters within X yards of a trailhead/parked car than you will further out. That X distance depends on the hunter, but it's not far -- think about it, would you want to drag a bear or deer carcass out of the woods?

Keep this in mind when picking Saturday routes especially -- areas like Yellow Gap on 1206, 476 & 5018 (Horse Cove Road), all of Bent Creek, etc. are very easily accessible by car and offer relatively remote hunting options just off the road. Saturdays are particularly "crowded" with, ahem, weekend-warrior types.

Really, you haven't lived until you've climbed 5018 on Doe Day ...
    IMHO your are much safer farther out in the woods. Why? More experienced hunters (the ones less likely to shoot you) know they have to work for their game and so they head out away from congestion. These hunter also tend to hunt more often and have more opportunity for a shot. I know several such types who already have game this season. The hunters who setup within close proximity to other people (road, trail, campsites, etc...) are not as skilled and (my opinion again) more likely to take a 'less than perfect' shot since it might be the only one they get.

BTW - I know of no provision in the state game law that allows for Sunday hunting ANYWHERE in NC on public land, but I did hear they now allow Sunday hunting on private land.
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    As per NC Hunting Regulations: Sunday bow Hunting and falconry are allowed on private land and only falconry is allowed on public land, with the exception of federal military lands.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridn29s View Post
    IMHO your are much safer farther out in the woods. Why? More experienced hunters (the ones less likely to shoot you) know they have to work for their game and so they head out away from congestion. These hunter also tend to hunt more often and have more opportunity for a shot. I know several such types who already have game this season. The hunters who setup within close proximity to other people (road, trail, campsites, etc...) are not as skilled and (my opinion again) more likely to take a 'less than perfect' shot since it might be the only one they get.

BTW - I know of no provision in the state game law that allows for Sunday hunting ANYWHERE in NC on public land, but I did hear they now allow Sunday hunting on private land.
    +1 on all that. I don't go to BC during rifle season. Glad it's only 3 weeks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjanes View Post
    conspiracy theory
    the hunters or the jogger or the movie with Mel Gibson?
    Last edited by Dresdenlock; 11-16-2011 at 09:35 AM.

Official Cooler Inspector
    I've seen people scouting on Sundays wearing all their gear, but without guns. Another area to be extra careful, is the trails adjacent to the neighborhood and populated section of Wesley Branch (sections off Rice Pinnacle). A lot of "long time locals" use this area. Heard a few shots last Saturday morning.
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by M-U-M View Post
    I've seen people scouting on Sundays wearing all their gear, but without guns. Another area to be extra careful, is the trails adjacent to the neighborhood and populated section of Wesley Branch (sections off Rice Pinnacle). A lot of "long time locals" use this area. Heard a few shots last Saturday morning.
    Yeah, I've seen people scouting on Sundays without guns. I've also seen people 'scouting' and 'hiking in' on Sundays with guns . Sometime I could tell the story about the day I encountered that guy who killed those people and was hiding out near the Pink Beds on a Sunday. He had a bag full of game and a gun and told me he was 'just scouting'. I just kept going. Quickly. In hindsight that time I should have called the law.

I have nothing against hunters. They are just another type of forest user. I just wear lots of blaze orange and make lots of noise.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by M-U-M View Post
    Didn't think about that. Not sure if they had guns or not. I bought a bell because my bike is pretty silent, and my dog won't bark unless its the middle of the night.

I don't hunt, but I think we need to maintain our status at the top of the food chain. Use it or lose it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusSommers View Post
    I don't hunt, but I think we need to maintain our status at the top of the food chain. Use it or lose it.
    Top of whose food chain?...Butchering the Human Carcass
    IT'S CRACKERS TO SLIP A ROZZER THE DROPSY IN SNIDE

Bix Pender
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dresdenlock View Post

this happened this year:

I don't know what basis really you have for making that claim. I've ridden all over Bent creek for the last 14 years and have never had an incident myself or even heard of anyone having a dangerous incident with a hunter. There's been plenty. So I don't know, a tragedy waiting to happen, maybe not. Just get an old Mercx jersey so you've got some orange on. and hope you don't meet a serial killer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatmorecarp View Post
    I don't know what basis really you have for making that claim. I've ridden all over Bent creek for the last 14 years and have never had an incident myself or even heard of anyone having a dangerous incident with a hunter. There's been plenty. So I don't know, a tragedy waiting to happen, maybe not. Just get an old Mercx jersey so you've got some orange on. and hope you don't meet a serial killer.
    this story I know of didn't happen in BC but a trail near where I live...but it's possible it could happen there as well...you get alot of people with guns in the woods..some might be inexperienced..some might be over zealous..and you have bikers/hikers/horses in the same area..to me it seems like accident waiting to happen...Im all for hunters hunting in the woods..they have close to a million acres to hunt..what is wrong with a buffer zone of a mile on a bike trail?...that does not seem like much to ask.

I'm sure that 99.99% of all hunters are on the ball when it comes to hunting...but accidents do happen...last year on the all american trail a jogger was jogging on new year's day..and got accidently shot and killed by a hunter...no one knew that the trail was closed for hunting season there was no sign.(there is now)..... a hunting accident might not have happened in the past 14 years..but it is possible...and usually a tragedy is when things change...why not make it safe for everyone before something bad happens?
    Last edited by Dresdenlock; 11-17-2011 at 04:35 PM.

I appreciate the responses and info. I'll be keeping a watchful eye out until the season ends.

Tom

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Yeah, this is the first year that I've ridden at BC during hunting season as well. Last Saturday my girlfriend and I were riding along and heard 3-4 gun shots ahead of us. They sounded like they were about 200 yds or so away...so we immediately began to talk loudly and make lots noise (neither of us have bells). We were shocked to come around the bend 50 ft later and see 2 men and 2 young boys standing in the middle of the trail holding rifles.

While I am aware that BC hosts hunters this time of year, I wasn't expecting them to be firing their rifles while standing on the trail. Let it be known that I am a gun-enthusiast. I don't hunt (I have no patience for it), but I do own a large array of rifles, pistols, shotguns and I compete in various shooting tournaments. My girlfriend and I shoot regularly and enjoy meeting others in the gun-hobby. I am very comfortable around firearms and see them for the purposeful tool that they are. However, I would NEVER, EVER fire a gun on a public trail, where I know UNSEEN civilian/bikers/hikers are present, and where I'm unable to see a clear backstop for the bullets to come to rest. It's one thing for grown men to discharge a firearm in that environment, but its an entirely different story to teach young children to do so. I honestly couldn't believe what I just saw.

As soon as we were past, my GF and I immediately headed toward the parking lot so we could leave. Again, I'm fine with hunters/shooters using the outdoors for their enjoyment...more power to them. Just do it more responsibly. Like has already been stated...this is just a horrible tragedy waiting to occur. One that undoubtedly will result in an uproar from the anti-gun, left-wingers blaming that awful-horrible firearm on the tragedy, not the imbecile that fired it blindly into the forest.

ohhman
    I have been shot @ in Pisgah wearing a neon yellow vest while riding(not friendly hunters either) Last year a hunter shot another hunter, who was wearing Orange in Pisgah. I really do not think that even 50% of those (rifle) hunting in Pisgah are too careful. Just an opinion from someone who had buck shot sprayed all around them, luckily a bad shot.

Bix Pender
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by salmansp View Post
    I have been shot @ in Pisgah wearing a neon yellow vest while riding(not friendly hunters either) Last year a hunter shot another hunter, who was wearing Orange in Pisgah. I really do not think that even 50% of those (rifle) hunting in Pisgah are too careful. Just an opinion from someone who had buck shot sprayed all around them, luckily a bad shot.

Whoa, that settles it, I'm wearing a kevlar vest while I ride. You know, I saw Eric Rudolph once in Bent creek too. Some guy in a truck dropped him off. They shot a Mexican man one time too, don't pick the galax.

Personally, I have to agree with EbbsnFlows. As a Marine I'm comfortable with all firearms but am leary of anyone shooting in such a populated area. Add to the fact that there are young children hunting as well, it's trouble waiting to happen. I think I'll wait till the season is over. I would hate to hear, or be on the receiving end, of tragic accident.

Tom

Support Pisgah Area Soba

Be Safe During Hunting Season

Be Safe During Hunting Season

ASHEVILLE, N.C., Sept. 11, 2014 ó The deer season for bow hunters begins September 13 across North Carolina, and the U.S. Forest Service reminds hunters and non-hunters to practice safety when visiting the four national forests. Click here for a complete list of safety tips for hunters and non-hunters.

The following are just a few tips hunters should follow to ensure they return home safely from the Croatan, Uwharrie, Pisgah, or Nantahala national forests:

Check weather reports before visiting the forest.
    Tell someone where you will be hunting and when you will return.
    During certain seasons, hunters must wear hunter (blaze) orange viewable from all directions.
    Here are just some of the tips non-hunters should practice during hunting season:

Wear bright clothing. Make yourself more visible. Choose colors that stand out, like red, blaze orange or green, and avoid white, blacks, browns, earth-toned greens and animal-colored clothing. Orange vests and hats are advisable.
    Donít forget to protect fido. Get an orange vest for your dog if he/she accompanies you.
    Make noise. Whistle, sing or carry on a conversation as you walk to alert hunters to your presence. Sound carries well across mountain basins, and hunters should be listening for any sounds of animal movement.
    Remember, your safety is your responsibility when visiting a national forest.
    Pisgah Area Sorba - Web Site Communications
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/